Search results

1. jrv

Leaving gamesquad

A post of mine was deleted. I will try to find a place to discuss asl elsewhere. Farewell. JR
  2. jrv

Doing my part, in these trying times.

In the case of this thread, the commentary is actually on-point. If you choose to discuss ASL-and-something-else, that "something else" becomes fair game. JR
  3. jrv

More virus Discussion

I think it is fairly likely that a good portion of the population will. I haven't seen a model that suggests that every last person gets it. Of those that do, many won't require hospitalization, and most won't die. But it's a glass half-empty/half-full kind of situation. JR
  4. jrv

Desperation Morale Update Update

Ah. So that's the muffled screaming I hear at ASLOK. I thought it was just a squeak in the air conditioning. JR
  5. jrv

Desperation Morale Update Update

I don't remember you ever being hospitalized at game end. JR
  6. jrv

Corona Virus and ASL

There are a lot of reasons why ebola is a bad choice for model. First ebola does not spread as easily. Second even under the worst estimates for corona, ebola is a much, much worse disease to have. Flu, especially a really dangerous flu like the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, seems a better model...
  7. jrv

HIP unit in HIP PB reveal question

I go with B. I think the notion of firing into hypothetical pillboxes is so absurd that it ought not to be allowed, unless the other bizarre combination occurs, where a HIP pillbox gets un-HIP contents. JR
  8. jrv

I think firing at a HIP pillbox location is so absurd that it ought not to be allowed, especially against the Japanese. No unit would fire its ammo load over a 40m hex hoping to hit a six-inch slit. And somehow unerringly hitting it. When you hear of units spraying everywhere, it's against...
  9. jrv

As far as I know. The idea that one might fire on a possible pillbox location was introduced to me in a q&a But from here you are on your own for the mechanics. For instance based on this it looks as though IFT against the NCA will not reveal the pillbox, even if declared against a hypothetical...
  10. jrv

Acquisition question

It applies to all units. 6.10 says that if other units enter a hex with an acquisition, they are acquired but the alternate also applies: if an acquisition enters a hex with other units they are acquired. The rules are not particularly well-constructed here, and I think it would be a legitimate...
  11. jrv

The pillbox is a separate location, so unless the attacking unit is firing at a hypothetical pillbox location or is a type of attack that naturally attacks multiple locations (e.g. Area Target Type), the target is not attacked and there is no need to reveal the pillbox. If the pillbox location...
  12. jrv

Movement Questions

I think that sounds right, except that if it declared Double Time late (i.e. not at the beginning of its MPh), the MMC would only gain one MF [A4.5]. Since it can't move any farther with only one additional MF it's still stuck but even more so. As a pet peeve, one declares Double Time. CX is a...
  13. jrv

Human wave question

I agree. JR
  14. jrv

ESB and Smoke Dispenser Attempt

I can't see how you would proceed if you rolled the sD successfully and placed the smoke, then failed the ESB. The smoke is retracted? The smoke is left anyway? That was the reasoning behind my answer: you need even more rules if the sD is attempted first. JR
  15. jrv

First starshell question E1.91

Until the attack occurs in the AFPh (and targets an enemy unit) I would guess no. The attack has to be "vs an enemy unit," and that hasn't happened in the PFPh. Similarly an attacker could fire at an empty hex during the PFPh. That would also place a gunflash, but would not allow placement of...
  16. jrv

vehicle in bypass and CC

When a vehicle is bypassing a hex where it might be in either one of the two hexes (a hexside between two building/woods hexes) the player has to indicate which hex is being bypassed. That can make a difference for range to target as well as questions like this about when the vehicle can be...
  17. jrv

Are Prisoners Personnel?

Yes, does seem to contradict what I wrote. However I think A20.5 is wrong to refer to them as units in a few sentences. If you read all the A20 rules they tend to use "prisoners" in places you might expect "units." That said, it would be not unreasonable to send for q&a. And even if I concede...
  18. jrv

Vehicular FT in hex usage

In both those cases the hex being bypassed is in the weapon's CA, and it may attack. In the case of a bow-mounted FT the hex being bypassed is not in the weapon's CA, and the FT may not attack. JR
  19. jrv

ESB and Smoke Dispenser Attempt

It would have to make the ESB DR first, I would think. If it made the sD DR first but then failed the ESB it would not have the MP to make the sD attempt which it has already made. JR
  20. jrv

Corona Virus and ASL

Remember that if something were to happen to you, little Stanlito would have to learn how to use a can opener. That's why he adopted you in the first place, so he wouldn't have to learn how. He didn't bring you in out of the gutter because you had a pretty face. JR