Search results

1. S

Axioms of Improbability for Wargaming

Erickson's Principle of Opponent Exemption Erickson's Principle of Opponent Exemption states that Holdridge's Axiom Of Criticality only operates in the first person, therefore your opponent is always exempt and never suffers the effects of Holdridge's Axiom. James Sterrret has obviously done...
  2. S

TacOps Tactical Discussion Group #2 - Red Defense

Pete, As Martin pointed out in a previous post, if we use TF Anderson then mission objectives must center around objective A. We cannot use a mission objective of preventing a red exit because the red AI has no orders for red to attempt to exit. I am assuming that red units will halt in or...
  3. S

Axioms of Improbability for Wargaming

Gents, One of the biggest reason I changed from board wargames to computer wargames was to escape those pesky dice and all the combat tables. I have recently started playing a minatures game called 'Warhammer' with my 9 and 12 year old boys as it is the only game I can get them to play that...
  4. S

Poll on how you learned about TacOps

Gents, Has anyone noticed a curious response (or lack thereof) in this poll? The choice 'from a friend' is at O%! Maybe we are not getting the word out about TacOps. The other possiblity is to grim to mention :D Randy
  5. S

Poll on how you learned about TacOps

TacOps Poll Gents, I'll make a very long story somewhat brief. ;) In the early nineties I received a mailer from Arsenal Publishing about TacOps for the Mac. How they got my address or the fact I was interested in games like this is beyond me. Was an avid V4V player at the time, might...
  6. S

Agreed. I just looked over TF Anderson and reached similar conclusions. Beyond the equipment exchange, are we trying to tweak this into a defensive situation and prevent Red exit? Will the AI support that? That is, does the red AI have orders to try to exit the western side of the map or...
  7. S

I would prefer to have option 9 (No enemy OOB) checked. One may print out a hard copy of enemy OOB for reference prior to the start of combat, but IMO it is gamey at best to view what the enemy still has in the field during combat. I believe that Coyote addressed this before; yes, IRL there is...
  8. S

TacOps Tactical Discussion Group

CB Fullerton AAR by Randy Planning: The plan is to airlift Iltis, Eryx and some HQ Command to the eastern map edge to set up a mobile defense/delaying action against OPFOR motorized rifle btn. Iltis will take up ambush positions near woods and hills in LOS of map edge. SOP to smoke or...
  9. S

Marine Corps Birthday Messages

Men, From a civilian: a great happy 229th birthday and a big thank you for the liberty and freedom you have provided us. Did someone secure a fire permit for all the candles on that cake? :D With the greatest respect, Randy
  10. S

Next Scenario If I can throw in my 2c for the next scenario. Team Davis. Small map, 60 minutes, defend objective, lots of armor to fiddle with. It uses that odd map of the wadi country with lots of odd LOS breaks. I'm ducking as I make the next suggestion. Mission: Impossible. Team...
  11. S

AAR Question The brief I supplied was really not meant to be an AAR. Should I write and submit one? Is there a 'standard form' for AAR's? I see many different stlyes but does any branch of the US military or other countries militaries have a specific format and/or information that they...
  12. S

Fullerton Rating I would rate the playablity of this scenario as average to slighlty above average, tactical challenge above average, 'fun factor' average to slightly below average and overall rating average. Had never played this scenario but have played the American variant a few times...
  13. S

AI Question After watching all the available replays posted (Pete, do you plan to post yours?), I could not help but notice that in Coyote's replay, the rifle btn entered in the SE around 041002 instead of in the NE around 040034. They also entered about five minutes later than the other...
  14. S

I played out this scenario as actually having two seperate missions that mutually support each other. One is the stated mission; clear and occupy the objectives and occupy obj E for 20 minutes. The other mission is to conduct a mobile defense/delaying action on the eastern side of the map...
  15. S

Replays Posted Gentlemen and USMC, Happy Birthday (a day few days early, but I attended the first party today :D ) Replays are posted at misc files. Yes, I will explain away my unorthodox tactics. Will the Marines in the group be able to explain anything this week? :confused...
  16. S

How much do you understand about real world tactics?

Hi, How about the converse of this question: Can one learn anything of RL tactics by playing TacOps? I have no RL military training and have read little on tactics. Over the years I think I have become a pretty good TO player. I regularly beat the AI and do pretty well in PBEM and 2...
  17. S

Gents, For anyone who has yet to play the scenario, I would be interested in getting a count of additional airstrikes you were given during the game. For those who have already played, if you have replay files or can remeber how many additional airstrikes, I would like to hear the count...
  18. S

Multiplayer Arena CPX Game 31 Oct - Now

Pete, That sounds about right to me but the Major could probably give you a better answer as far as what was actually left of the original force when I assumed command. Things were going so fast and furious that I did not have a chance to look at specifics of the armor and dismounted ATGMs...
  19. S

Multiplayer Arena CPX Game 31 Oct - Now

Hi, I was last Blue CO on Sunday. It is not that I disagreed with the final decision, I was more along the lines of my first glimpse of the map was only a minute or two prior to joining the game. I only saw the tactical situation when I actually got control of the forces. I found the LZ I...
  20. S

Gents, Have played out the scenario. I guess we will hold on discussion until next Monday. I had already started with the prefs at factory settings, other than those addressed in the admin notes, by the time the post that we may alter other settings had hit this thread. I completely...