Search results

1. Andy Bagley

Entering hex with HIP enemy AFV

This situation arose while playing AP198 Hassle at Hasselt. A British APC attempted to enter a hex and found a HIP BU JgPzV there. The JgPzV is revealed, but what then can the APC do? As I understand D2.6 it could move through that hex but cannot stop or end its MPh there (unless it could meet...
  2. Andy Bagley

Bounding Fire 2023, Blackpool UK, November 15th-19th

For those in the UK, and anyone prepared to travel, Bounding Fire 2023 will take place at the Headlands Hotel in Blackpool, 15th-19th November. Minis (organised by me) will be the usual groups of four, two rounds straight knock-out, on Thursday 16th. The main tournament, organised by Simon...
  3. Andy Bagley

FT284 Concealment

Hi LFT, hoping to find Lionel Colin here. This is a repeat of a question I posted in the Rules & Errata section - replies were inconclusive: Anyone played FT284 Vichy Strikes Back yet? If so can you explain the British setup instruction that says "set up concealed if in Concealment Terrain..."...
  4. Andy Bagley

FT284 Concealment

Anyone played FT284 Vichy Strikes Back yet? If so can you explain the British setup instruction that says "set up concealed if in Concealment Terrain...". But the Vichy have no forces on board at start, so surely all British units can be concealed anyway, even in OG (A12.12)? Sorry if I'm...
  5. Andy Bagley

Armor Leader casualty - when revealed?

An AFV is destroyed and the crew does not survive. Unknown to the opponent, that AFV contained an armor leader (it was not previously revealed). If CVP are relevant to the scenario victory conditions, must the presence of the armor leader be declared as soon as the crew fails its survival DR? Of...
  6. Andy Bagley

Sniper setup

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which side sets up their sniper first if both sides enter wholly from off-board (e.g. J88 Escape to Wiltz). No Scenario Attacker/Defender and definition of DEFENDER doesn't apply pre-game. Thanks. PS: Merry Christmas!
  7. Andy Bagley

PTC vs CE AFV crew

I've had very experienced players tell me different things on this: are CE AFV crews affected by PTC results on the IFT? A7.305 clearly refers to Personnel targets, and inherent vehicle crews are not Personnel, so this doesn't apply. However this rule then goes on to refer to pin effects vs...
  8. Andy Bagley

Linking VASL logfiles

Hi, could someone cleverer than me please explain, in simple language, how to combine together two or more VASL logfiles using VASSAL 3.6.7 and VASL 6.6.4, including how to respond to the Save Game? and Begin New Logfile? messages that keep coming up whenever I try to do this? Neal Ulen's...
  9. Andy Bagley

Pushing and Low Ammo

A crew, possibly assisted by other MMC, attempts to push a Gun and chooses to place a Low Ammo counter on it to get the -2 DRM from Table C10.3. What happens if they then want to push the Gun again in a subsequent MPh? Does the already-placed Low Ammo counter give another -2 DRM, can a second...
  10. Andy Bagley

LOS tool and obstacle/hindrance vertices

Am I missing something or is there a problem with the way the VASL LOS tool deals with LOSs that run precisely through a vertex of a hex with inherent terrain? For example, set up Board 44 on VASL and run a LOS from 44A4 to 44V5. This runs precisely through one vertex of orchard hex 44Y4 (see...
  11. Andy Bagley

Voluntary Rout and Concealment Loss

A concealed leader chooses to voluntarily rout (A10.711) with a broken unit he is stacked with. In what circumstances does that leader lose his concealment (sorry, not clear to me from concealment loss/gain table)?
  12. Andy Bagley

Wall Advantage and Melee

This sounds like an obvious question but I can't find the answer anywhere (sorry if I've missed it): A squad in an otherwise OG hex is claiming WA. An enemy squad, in its APh, enters that hex, and the CC results in a Melee. If the Melee is subsequently fired on across the wall, it obviously...
  13. Andy Bagley

MG vs AFV: Fire Lane?

I'm sure this must be in the rules somewhere but can't find it. If a SW MG fires at an AFV in the enemy MPh (as Defensive First Fire), can it also lay a fire lane? If so, does this avoid the possibility of cowering since this isn't an IFT attack (A7.9)?
  14. Andy Bagley

Can a HIP unit be voluntarily revealed at ANY time?

Can the DEFENDER choose to reveal a HIP unit, under a concealment counter, at any time, rather than just the instances quoted in A12.32? For example, suppose a Gun attempts to fire SMOKE at an apparently-empty hex (concealment terrain). The EXC in C6.2 says that Case K does not apply. So if the...
  15. Andy Bagley

Guard goes berserk during MPh

This must have come up before but I can't find the answer anywhere: A squad guarding prisoners moves (not using AM) in its MPh and is fired on; the guarding squad rolls HOB and goes berserk, and the prisoners survive. There are no other units in the location. What happens to the prisoners...
  16. Andy Bagley

Setting up concealed in foxhole

A2.9 allows me to initially set up a foxhole on-board rather than HIP, so that my opponent cannot inspect its contents until he has LOS. If the unit(s) in the foxhole is also concealed (assuming this is concealment terrain), can I put the '?' counter under the foxhole counter as well, so that my...
  17. Andy Bagley

Cowering and mixed Fire Groups

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused about cowering where mixed FGs are involved. Suppose a British FG consisting of two 4-5-7's First Line squads and a 4-3-6 Green squad fires at normal range, with no leader involved. Would normally be 12 FP but 'doubles' is rolled so the...
  18. Andy Bagley

Seeking FtF opponents, Leeds/Yorkshire, UK

Hi all, This mostly repeats my post in the New Members forum, so apologies for duplication if you've read both. I'm a veteran wargamer and SL player now getting back into ASL after many years' absence (used to work with Keith Poulter on The Wargamer magazine before he left for the States). I...
  19. Andy Bagley

Veteran wargamer from UK

Hi all, I'm a veteran wargamer and SL player now getting back into ASL after many years' absence (used to work with Keith Poulter on The Wargamer magazine before he left for the States). I have all of the AH/MMP modules and lots of other scenarios, though yet to explore the infinite world of...