Search results

1. Elfego Baca

Smoke & Routing adjacent to KEU

See attachment. Broken German (trapped on Level 1) is adjacent to KNEs, and must rout. E3/L1 not allowable. But is F4/L1 legal? It is an ADJACENT hex, but the brokie won't have a LOS to the British MMC in F3/L1 due to +6 hindrance between the two locations. (+3 Smoke in F3, and +3 from F4 (+2...
  2. Elfego Baca

Mortar firing w/o its Spotter?

Can a mortar and its manning MMC fire at a target in LOS without using its designated spotter? (The spotter would be better employed attacking a different target.) Didn't see that this was previously addressed. I don't think that 9.3 prohibits this, but you never know. TY JohnM
  3. Elfego Baca

SMOKE can block LOS of ADJACENT enemy units?

Hi all. Another Smoke question. My scenario involves full-strength SMOKE in a building hex with 1 1/2 levels (with a stairwell). MMC "A" is at Level 0, and MMC "B" is at Level 1. Does "A" have a LOS to "B" (and vice versa)? I think it doesn't (6+ hindrance drm), but want to confirm. TY JohnM
  4. Elfego Baca

A24.4: SMOKE as a Hindrance

Requesting confirmation that I understand the application of A24.4. In the first example, the US squad in Level 2 of the I4 building hex will have its fire hindered at any hex at either Level 0 or 1. (Not just fire from Level 2 into an adjacent hex.) TY JohnM
  5. Elfego Baca

Alert: New PBS D-Day documentary airing during 75th Anniversary

In conjunction with the 75th anniversary of D-Day, many PBS stations will be airing the documentary "Seize & Secure: The Battle for La Fière" on or around June 6. The documentary is a joint-effort of the National WWII Museum and Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Several ASL scenarios are based...
  6. Elfego Baca

Exemption from Bog Check for exiting "Bog terrain"?

A2.9 states (in part) that vehicles can set up free of Bog/Immobilization in hexes whose entry might cause Bog. Does this also exempt the vehicle from a Bog check if it subsequently moves out of that hex?
  7. Elfego Baca

VASL Scenario vsav Files?

Other than what's currently available on the VASL site, are there any other sources for obtaining vsav files for scenarios? For example, would like to get 'Death At Carentan' ASL184 without building the bugger from scratch. :)
  8. Elfego Baca

LOS for Unit in Crest beneath a Bridge

I've encountered this odd situation that requires some rules clarification. As depicted in the attached image, an MMC is in a depression but in Crest status. The hex is spanned by a bridge. My question ..... does the bridge structure block the MMC's LOS from Q6 to O7? (Or, is the MMC...
  9. Elfego Baca

Placing single OB-designated "?" during setup

I don't see it prohibited by A12.12, but I have to ask anyway ... Can I place a single OB "?" counter on the mapboard during my setup? (And if you're wondering why I'm asking, SSR#5 of ASL4 (Commissar's House) prohibits the German player from setting up adjacent to a Russian "?" counter. So...
  10. Elfego Baca

Opponent Wanted; Live VASL Preferred

In US Eastern Time Zone. No longer a newbie, although I still tend to play like one. :) Looking for ETO something simple, such as ASL1 (FW) or ASL4 (CH). Can play short sessions of 2-3 turns each. Either Skype or Discord. TY JohnM
  11. Elfego Baca

Available SK-style mapboard experience

Being a rather late re-entrant into the ASL World, I've been busy obtaining many SK-style mapboards. (A questionable decision, you might think, considering that most of my recent games have been played via VASL.) I wasn't interested in obtaining Board 68 by purchasing MMP Special Ops #5, so I...
  12. Elfego Baca

Vehicle LOS from woods hex w/ a road?

If I've parked an AFV in a woods hex bisected by a road, can I draw a LOS out of all of its hexsides, or only those where the road exits the woods? An infantry unit is not restricted, but not quite sure about vehicles, especially those "located" in the road. TY JohnM
  13. Elfego Baca

Looking for Live VASL/Skype game.

Oldbie-ish player, but now getting fairly comfortable with rediscovery of the system. Prefer live VASL/Skype. EST location, but generally available most other times; breaking the game into 2-3 turns sessions. General ETO, but agreeable to most everything. (Hey! The more I play, the better...
  14. Elfego Baca

Recommendations for mapboard container?

Now that I’ve accumulated a bunch of them, I’m looking for a storage container for my SK-style mapboards. I found a Pelican case that has the proper dimensions, but it’s priced higher ($175+) than I’m willing to spend. I also saw RitterKrieg’s ammo box design, but my wife says that I’m...
  15. Elfego Baca

Is this the place to suggest clarifications of content in the ASLRB?

I'm gradually relearning the system, and ran into a couple of minor items in the ASLRB which I think (IMHO, of course) could be better stated. Is this the place to post my "suggestions" ... without risking being sent to the back of the queue for every MMP game I have on pre-order? lol
  16. Elfego Baca

"Old Newbie" looking for VASL Guards Counterattack game

Getting back into ASL after a long absence. Having re-read Chapters A & B, I’d like to start with something simple … preferably Scenario A (Guards Counterattack) … to shake the rust off. I’m familiar with Vassal, but there may be a thing or two with VASL where I might need some guidance. I...
  17. Elfego Baca

Availability of Unavailable Scenarios?

'Oldbie' here, jumping back into ASL after too long an absence. My “handle” on GameSquad refers back to my days in GEnie. Anyway, I’m looking to obtain the modified-for-VotG ASL scenario “In Sight of the Volga” that was published in MMP Special Operations mag #1. Is there an online resource...