Search results

1. K

3 New Expert AARs for ATF

Not really better than scouts for the human player. For the AI enemy, they're useful since the enemy needs a solid spot to target artillery. For a human player, it is far preferable to use dismounts for the purpose of seeing enemy assets, which you can then target even as yellow spots since you...
  2. K

3 New Expert AARs for ATF

Think of it as a sort of backhanded compliment. About the only thing with higher target priority than engineers is helicopters and arty control assets. Speaking of which, Bill, as a "gamey" tactic helos work extremely well to keep artillery fire of your other forces. Just dangle a helo in...
  3. K

pH/pK stats

Although, as I explain in detail in the below linked threads, it is my opinion that you misinterpreted those numbers when creating database1. These threads show how I came up with my different numbers in kbDataModern. Thread: SAWE/MILES II and pKs Thread: pK? Thread: The statistics...
  4. K

pH/pK stats

If you're interested, I produced an alternate database that extensively modified the original according to my own opinions on the subject. It seems to have become the de facto starting point for the follow-on titles in the ATF line. kbDataModern database ATF stock scenarios using kbDataModern
  5. K

Sand castle KB

Grr... :mad: Back to the drawing board... --- Kevin
  6. K

Sand castle KB

I'm glad you've been enjoying this scenario. Thanks also to DeltaPooh who designed the original, which I then rejiggered as an exercise in scenario modification. If its working correctly, keeping the "ALO" unit mounted on some vehicle should prevent the airstrike from coming in. This was an...
  7. K

Sand castle KB

Possible. However, its very unlikely that nothing could see *any* of your units for the rest of the scenario. Did substantial artillery fire start up again after your force came through the breach and into sight of the town? There should have been at least one fresh battalion on you at that...
  8. K

Sand castle KB

Thanks for the detailed comments. Very illuminating. It sounds like most stuff worked as expected, with one major exception; some enemy artillery was being held back to hammer you in the breach. Why that didn't materialize remains an open question. Sounds like you did a good job of unhinging...
  9. K

Sand castle KB

Thanks for your response. I hope you don't mind my ever-more-specific questions, because you're really the first player to give any useful feedback at all on this scenario. I'd like to get some idea of what worked and what didn't. Yes, unfortunately, for a savvy player it is a simple matter...
  10. K

Sand castle KB

Nice job. Sounds like it all came together for you. I'm curious about how the AI worked out, if you don't mind. How did the "airstrike" work out for you? Did it work as expected upon the dismount of the ALO? How were your casualties? Was the enemy artillery effective? Do you remember the...
  11. K

Gun Info

One minor clarification; a direct fire weapon in ATF terms is usually sort of a composite of *all* its main ammunition types. For example, there is by convention no real distinction between APDSFS and HEAT in ATF. The assumption is that the crew will select the appropriate round for the target...
  12. K

crash hill defense KB

With regard to Linebacker, I can't see any obvious problem there. I just tried it and the Linebacker quickly shot down the Su-39. Perhaps your's were moving, in hold fire, or on suppress mode, possibly as part of the heirarchy they were cross-attached into. As for the assault failing to...
  13. K

New Scenario Builder tutorial topic

How did you find out about my automated test server farm? I like those maps, BTW. Very clean. Of course, Falklands have no native trees, so that avoids the forest issue, I suppose. --- Kevin
  14. K

Problem creating .emp

MicroDEM *is* Petmar Trilobites software. DEMConvert is merely a subset of MicroDEM. I'm just using the latest version of that software. Apparently, the ATF code has some dependency on some quirk of the specific version of DEMConvert that you happen to use. Duly noted. Sounds like a FAQ. But...
  15. K

Problem creating .emp

Thanks for fixing the xdm. What exactly does ATF require that MicroDEM 8 isn't doing? Other DEM import programs don't seem to have any difficulty with its output, including the older one you uploaded just now. Unfortunately, that one doesn't seem to understand SRTM. Trying to load SRTM...
  16. K

A Few ATF Questions

The truth of the matter is that units that are trying to remain hidden can be extremely difficult to identify. Often, the best your scouts can do without getting whacked is tell you that there are at least x number of vehicles at y location, with no real specifics on type or activity. Emphasis...
  17. K

Interesting Stryker studies

AFAIK, both Stryker and M113A3 have a cruise range around 300 miles. It is true that the Stryker is more fuel-efficient, but this is in large part because it has a newer, more efficient engine. The M113's RISE powerpack is about 20 years old. Let us not forget that I am not suggesting the...
  18. K

Interesting Stryker studies

Speed of a combat vehicle is only useful for short range tactical redeployments between refuel stops. The rate of march of a large force is always limited by the mobility of the support trains, not the speed of the cutting-edge combat forces. Your example of ODS is telling. It wasn't the speed...
  19. K

A Few ATF Questions

Believe it or not, I count shots myself by firing unit (I usually fire by platoons) and make tickmarks on a post-it pad. Only in ammo-critical situations do I sanity check against real numbers in the info dialog. You can find the starting ammo numbers for a given vehicle from the Vehicle...
  20. K

Feedback Needed From The Atf/rt Community!

In general, I think they look fine. My only real concern, as before, is that smaller is better. And I still think the zoom slider where 100% is really 50% is a bug, not a feature. I would resist the tempation to end up creating silhouettes for every distinct vehicle type. The whole point of...