Search results

1. H

January 2005 Dispatches/Top 10 War Movies

I agree %100. I also believe "Enemy at the Gates," (while it has some impressive combat scenes toward the beginning), also falls into "formulaic, cliched, emotionally manipulative and totally predictable" Hollywood mold. It's very hard to get a film from Hollywood that doesn't fall into this...
  2. H

Guilford Courthouse in Miniature

Those are some great miniatures! :surprise:
  3. H

Favorite Movie Scores

The Thin Red Line (Hans Zimmer's best!) The Last of the Mohicans Ride With the Devil
  4. H

Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Several people here voted for "Paths of Glory." I've never seen it because I've always heard that its a boring court room drama with hardly any combat. Is this true? How much combat is depicted in the film?
  5. H

Your Favourite TV series...

The Simpsons That 70's Show History Detectives Secrets of the Dead
  6. H

Best & Worst Second World War Movies ever made?

Best: 1. The Thin Red Line (Its artistic, intelligent, great actors, and an awesome soundtrack!) 2. Band of Brothers Worst: 1. Pearl Harbor 2. Windtalkers (refused to see it, because of the director and Nick Cage) 3. Saving Private Ryan
  7. H

wings of war

I picked up the game last weekend. It's a pretty good game, not the most realistic flight sim, but entertaining. The graphics are good, but could use some more detail, especially in the battle damage inflicted on the planes. Rather than bullet holes being punched through the canvas, large chunks...
  8. H

Comedy Movie Nomination Thread

The Royal Tenenbaums freakin hilarious:laugh: :laugh:
  9. H

Favorite scale

28mm skirmish gaming is my favorite.
  10. H

United Offensive (previously misnamed Finest Hour)

That pic is definately a B-17. You can see the belly gunners, ball turret, and the distinctive profile of another B-17 next to it on the right. Not even close to anything British.
  11. H

Console Call of Duty? Your thoughts...

I'll take an Xbox controller over a mouse and keyboard anyday!:armed:
  12. H

Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Capitaine Conan I have this one in my dvd collection. It's a really great film. It's a French film from 1996 about a group of elite French trench-raiders in Bulgaria and Romania. "A brilliantly photographed epic of the Great War and its aftermath, Capitaine Conan is an unsettling meditation...
  13. H

WTTA MOVIES OF 2004 - King Arthur

A local female newspaper reviewer didn't like the film because there was no singing, no love triangle, and too many battles. Basically it's everything that Camelot is not. Sounds great to me!!:thumb: :toast: :laugh:
  14. H

What era do you play?

I have miniatures for: Old West gunfights French and Indian skirmishing King Philip's War skirmishing I've played: Napoleonic ACW Pirates WWII Naval Renaissance WWII Europe WWI Dogfights 19th C. British Colonial
  15. H

The Ultimate WW2 movie thread

"Saving Private Ryan" goes to crap after the D-Day part, I have to turn it off when the rangers are stupidly casually strolling across open ground in enemy territory blabing like a bunch of school girls. The screenplay for that film is crap. The better WWII film of '98 was "The Thin Red Line"...
  16. H

Master and Commander

Well worth the rent!!:thumb: It is truly excellent, it is the new standard for historical movies that all others should be judged by. I saw it twice in the theaters (its very rare I see anything twice in the theater), and I will be buying it on DVD.:bowdown:
  17. H

The Ultimate WW2 movie thread

It was directed by John Woo, I don't even have to see it to know its crap. Plus it has Nick Cage in it. That's two strikes.:nonono:
  18. H

Favorite Video Games

Xbox Games Ghost Recon Ghost Recon:Island Thunder Rainbow Six 3 Freedom Fighters Splinter Cell Halo
  19. H

The Five Best War Movies Ever

1. Band of Brothers 2. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 3. Ride With the Devil 4. The Last of the Mohicans 5. The Thin Red Line 6. Blackhawk Down
  20. H

PC Games vs Console Games

For first person shooters, I prefer the Xbox over the PC. Especially Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon" series, and "Rainbow Six 3." The PC is better for strategy games like "Medieval: Total War."