Search results

1. F

Which is a better Beer and Pretzels Game?

:toast: that's funny. I had to ask the guy why it was so expensive...he just mumbled something about it being out of print. I said " so is avalon hill's "Midway" and you only want $20 for that game...." those ultra-complex mono-uni-chromatic hexboards are a must have! you cant make those...
  2. F

How much detail in the paint job?

I tend to paint just enough to determine the different units at a glance. I do some minimal shading/highlighting so the minis have a 3D look to them. I tend to go into detail only on officers/standards/showcase pieces.
  3. F

my local gaming store has a used copy of tobruk for $79.99. I laugh at that.
  4. F

Musty Nostalgia

not exactly a wargame, but I have had very fond memories of CarWars. Man, I loved that game!. LOVED IT! It was great for h-t-h, solo or team play. You could have a game as big and complex or as simple as you needed. there was just enough RPG to make you care about your charater, too. I...
  5. F

I've found that smaller games do better. OGRE/GEV or a small Panzerblitz scenario are good. GW's Space Hulk is good, too. Everybody likes to drink some beers and play with a big box of toys....and who doesn't love pitting the very shooty but vastly outnumbered Imperial Space Marines...
  6. F

Rotk

I just got a copy of KOEI's "Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII". It's a HUGE game. It takes place in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th centuries AD in China during a long period of instability and warfare. I guess this period has been endlessly mythologized in China....it's also the subject of the...
  7. F

Where and how do you store your games!

Re: Re: Re: The "War Room" I've also found 3D terrain the most difficult storage problem due to it's fragility and volume. I just carefully pack it all in card board boxes and store them under the table or behind the bar with the table when we have guests. (my game room doubles as the...
  8. F

yeah...i do worry that the humididty in the basement will cause my albums and books/games to start to mold or mildew. I have a dehumidifier going 24/7 to help remove the moisture. I hope it's enough. indeed, after 15 years of living in small, cramped apartments with little or no gaming...
  9. F

my basement is finished with tile floor and tongue and groove knotty pine paneling. the games and mil. hist. books are stored on a series of book cases and there is a built in bar on one side of the room. up under the front of the bar are hooks to which attaches one end of my 4'x8' gaming...
  10. F

What would you play next?

try setting up a small scenario to get an idea of how leader activation works. everything else is pretty cut and dry. Since i had been working on ASL before I started PG it has taken me a while to get used to the system's comparative simplicity. It's refreshingly fun. I also use the random...
  11. F

favorite TV shows!

\ Ive got the Young Ones DVD. It has all the episodes as well as some special feature stuff. Nobody seems to enjoy the antics of those 4 boobs quite like I do.
  12. F

What would you play next?

I've got the "World War 1 in Europe" 2 map, 1200 counter monster game that came with an issue of Command Magazine that i bought used but unpunched for $10. (worth at least $30!). Ive set it up on the wargaming table and looked at it for several weeks but I was afraid to start it lest i screw...
  13. F

The one that got away...

yeah, I like the way the game flows. I like the leader/action/activation system. I had trouble with it on the first few scenarios because i didn't really understand how to set up...now i'm trying to perfect the system where activation travels down the chain of command so you can activate...
  14. F

The one that got away...

When I was a kid the only other person who knew what a wargame was and was clever enough to play had a copy of Tobruk. Indeed, I thought the map was monochromatic, to say the least. I was fascinated by the idea of "playing panzer leader in the north african desert". I thought the game was far...
  15. F

The one that got away...

about 5 years ago i saw a punched copy of Tobruk for $18. I didn't buy it because i was all obsessed with Basic Squad Leader/Cross of Iron at the time. Now I am unable to locate a copy for less than $80. I wish i would have purchased that game when i had the chance.
  16. F

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

It's a great game. What could be better than killing Nazi's? Killing Zombies, perhaps? No! Killing Zombie Nazi's is better!!!!
  17. F

Any ASL players out there?

i did manage to get a hold of MMP's New ASL Starter Kit #1. I've played the first 3 scenarios and have been really enjoying it. There are no rules for penetration from machine gun fire.....perhaps that will be in Starter Kit #2.....Still, the game is a gas!
  18. F

On The Table:

I finally found a copy of Avalance Press's Panzer Grenadier. It was at Games By James at the Mall Of America here in minneapolis....and it was on sale for $49.99! for a game that retailed for $60 bucks there really isn't a whole lot to it...4 boards, 3 sheets of counters...the generic PG...
  19. F

Why do you play wargames?

although i voted for the "vicarious thrill", I am only slightly less interested in the problem solving aspect of gaming.
  20. F

On The Table:

I've been working on my new ASL Starter Kit #1. I'm on the second scenario "war of the rats". It's similar to the first scenario from basic SL: just infantry with some mmg/lmg/ft/dc counters in a Stalingrad urban combat setting. I'm really enjoying the system...the defensive fire rules seem a...