Search results

1. pirateship1982

What material would you like to see made into a movie?

I think that's a book series too. Sticks in my mind I saw one detailing World War I.
  2. pirateship1982

What material would you like to see made into a movie?

I found out that movies WERE done on the raid at Entebbe. More SF movies with good stories and tactical warfare like what you see in Navy SEALs and Black Hawk Down. Most SF flicks I have seen have stupid plots, bad acting, and include more kung fu than is legally allowable outside a Matrix...
  3. pirateship1982

Reviewing Alexander the Great

I think a brief mention at the end but nothing more.
  4. pirateship1982

The battle scene at Gaugamela was what saved it from going on my crap list. When it comes out on DVD you can jump right to it and dodge the cheesy parts. The Hydaspes battle scene had good special effects but I wish they would stop doing that shaky camera effect. It is difficult to enjoy the...
  5. pirateship1982

Just saw Alexander the Great. My thoughts are 5 stars for cinemetography and 2.5 stars for historical accuracy. They did the Battle of Gaugamela expertly but royally screwed up the portrayal of his Indian campaign, to the point of showing him recieving his major wound at the Battle of the...
  6. pirateship1982

Just saw Alexander the Great. My thoughts are 5 stars for cinemetography and 2.5 stars for historical accuracy. They did the Battle of Gaugamela expertly but royally screwed up the portrayal of his Indian campaign, to the point of showing him recieving his major wound at the Battle of the...
  7. pirateship1982

Board Wargame Longevity

Parlor Wargames 1. Chess 2. Risk 3. Stratego Tournament Wargames 1. 1776 2. Kriegspiel 3. Fortress Europe 4. Luftwaffe (All Avalon Hill)
  8. pirateship1982

Patton’s Best

I never made it to 25 but once lost a plane and all hands to a lucky shot on Mission 1. There are some forums out on the internet that do whole bomb group campaigns and record their progress.
  9. pirateship1982

What games are you looking for?

One game I would love to get my hands on is the old Avalon Hill version of Civilization and it's expansion pack. Although Eagle Games has done a board game variant of the computer version (which I do have), from what I can tell it isn't nearly as good as the Avalon Hill version. Curses to...
  10. pirateship1982

Opponents That Drive Us Crazy

Of the people I have played, there were only two that ever got on my nerves. (Thankfully) One was an arrogant fellow who didn't like newcomers. I had just started playing magic and had a deck that, only by sheer luck alone, was winning. He decided he would rather quit than get beaten by a...
  11. pirateship1982

The Complete Brigadier

I used to have a copy of The Complete Brigadier when I was in High School. I liked the system. I also owned Covered With Glory, a set of Napoleonic rules, but preferred Brigadier. It covers a wider time period and you can personalize your units training and leadership qualities rather than...
  12. pirateship1982

Master and Commander

Historical Accuracy I thought that M&C really made a good show for realism. For one, many nautical movies (like Cutthroat Island and Pirates of the Carribbean) love to show two ships bearing down on each other, both full sail into the wind-which would be impossible. In M&C it properly shows...
  13. pirateship1982

What was the first board-based wargame you owned?

The first wargame I got was a pseudo-wargame by Avalon Hill called Gunslinger. It focused more on shootouts than full-scale battles but it got me hooked on Avalon Hill.
  14. pirateship1982

Board Wargames vs PC Wargames

Evenly Matched Maybe I'm a sucker for all things old fashioned, but I always liked board wargames. I always found them more economical in the long run, as you don't have to buy a computer or video game system (and then another when your current one becomes obsolete), and more detailed and...