Search results

1. L

Reviewing Alexander the Great

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did watch a "making of" show on the History Channel last week. It certainly did appear that quite a bit of effort was put into the Gaugamela battle scenes. It was very interesting how military adviser Dale Dye (our ole "BoB" buddy) trained Colin Farrell both...
  2. L

January 2005 Dispatches/Top 10 War Movies

J.D., I finally got to watch "Paths of Glory" (I had taped it a while ago...thanks for the heads up), and it is a great movie. Well worth the top 10 ranking you give it ..........., but I still think "SPR" is better. :laugh:
  3. L

J.D., You included two POW films, "The Great Escape" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai". Both are based on historical events, though neither is really true to history. Although I like them both, personally I think that "Stalag 17" is better than either of them. Did it just miss the cut on...
  4. L

ZULU, ZULU, ZULU Not only is "Zulu" everything Richard says it is, it is also one of only a few war movies that have been made on the actual ground the battle was fought on. "Gettysburg" is the only other one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are at least one or two others........
  5. L

"SPR" made the war movie a viable commercial commodity for the first time in many years. It is unlikely that several movies on the list, "We Were Soldiers", "Blackhawk Down" and "When Trumpets Fade", as well as the mini-series "Band of Brothers", would even have been made without the box office...
  6. L

I realize this is all very subjective. The comments J.D. makes about "SPR" are just, it is formulamatic. However, many great movies have followed a formula. What is important is what is added to the basic formula. "SPR" went beyond just computer graphics, they recreated the best examples...
  7. L

A much a fan of John Wayne as I am, I would be hard pressed to call The "Green Berets" a great movie. It has some great action scenes, but it has not "aged" particularly well. The extreme hard line, conservative stance of the film's makers seems locked in a "time warp" when compared to the...
  8. L

First of all I think that many of the action sequences are quite good..........I would give it 2 stars out of 4, watchable for that alone. What I didn't like was the love story and (sorry Dr. S.) the British accents (although I thought Bob Hoskins was great). It's not terrible, its not...
  9. L

Definately "Zulu"!!!!!!
  10. L

Turner's Gettysburg

Turner should be praised. TBS and TNT have produced more 19th century oriented movies than any major network. In many way turner helped keep the western alive.
  11. L

You knew it wouldn't be long, so I'll be the first to ask, "Where is 'Saving Private Ryan'?"........... For the most part I think you have made some fine selections. In fact there is only one included movie that I would question. Even as only an honorable mention I think it's a stretch to put...
  12. L

TV Westerns

There's a new biography on Arness that has just recently come out........
  13. L

TV Westerns

Go Ward Bond...........
  14. L

"Enemy at the Gates" - Russian look.....

"Enemy at the Gates" is not a very good movie, but it does have some excellent scenes. You may carp at a T34/85 being used, but the computer generated scenes are very well done. The Ju-87 Stukas and PzMkIII tanks are the best I've seen in a movie.
  15. L

What do you think about the JAG serie

I think I'd have a tough time with a German speaking Eastwood too........Somehow "make my day" loses something in the translation.
  16. L

Heroic Movie scenes

and "Aim straight you bastards"...........
  17. L

The Last Samurai

I saw a portion of it again last night and the scenery of New Zealand just can't be beat..........
  18. L

Turner's Gettysburg

Bruce Boxleitner couldn't carry Tom Berenger's fake beard, big floppy hat and cigar........
  19. L

TV Westerns

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, even "The Wild, Wild West" had its moments. It was certainly better than the sorry movie of the same name...........
  20. L

Blue Max film on Sunday

They showed it a few months ago in the US on the HD Net Movies satellite channel. High Definition in the original aspect ratio. Aahh.......Ursela Andress :hail: :hail: :hail: