Search results

1. Tom DeFranco

On The Table:

I think this thread is a good idea.
  2. Tom DeFranco

Boardgame Review: Gringo!

Very nice review. My friend, Tony Adams, was one of the playtesters and research consultant for the game. I'll have to get him to read the review and comment.
  3. Tom DeFranco

On The Table:

For a look at the supersized Downtown game, check out Consimworld. go to the Boardgaming/Individual or series games/Contemporary/Downtown folder. You'll see some of my friends going at it last week and catch a good glimpse of what supersizing a board game can do for adding enjoyment to your next...
  4. Tom DeFranco

American Civil War or Napoleonic

As far as Napoleonics, the La Battaille system, by Clash of Arms out of Phoenixville, PA is at the battalion level. Personally I don't like the system. It is too hard to win as the Allied player (supposedly even the Brits at Waterloo). Ed Wimble, the company's main force behind the system...
  5. Tom DeFranco

Turner's Gettysburg

If he makes the Last Full Measure, it'll take a miracle. He'll need to find another taker to fund that venture - Turner is hurting for cash (not that he doesn't have enough to remain comfortable for the rest of his life.) since he took a bath in making G & G and the AOL/Time-Warner deal.
  6. Tom DeFranco

Turner's Gettysburg

Initially G & G was supposed to be about Lee, Jackson, Chamberlain and Hancock. Maxwell condensed the other characters down too much. Unfortunately, the movie did not make a good biopic of of Jackson and an even worse rendition of the novel. A good biopic would show the good and bad sides of...
  7. Tom DeFranco

Turner's Gettysburg

Sniper 2 was pretty good, too. I also liked him as T.R. and he made me dislike him as the infamous Sgt. Barnes. Berenger seems to know history and seems to know how to bring historical characters to life very well.
  8. Tom DeFranco

Turner's Gettysburg

I think both Boxleitner and Berenger are good actors. I do prefer Berenger in the role as I got the feeling he really studied the role and had an appreciation for Longstreet that Boxleitner didn't have. Still, who's to know how good Boxleitner could have been if he'd done more than recite a...
  9. Tom DeFranco

GDW's Series 120

I used to have the 1757 Battle of Prague 120 game. Played it once (it seemed too generic). Played another guy's 1854 Battle of Alma (again, way too generic for my tastes) twice.
  10. Tom DeFranco

Gods and Generals review and reactions?

Right! Plus Patton was partly based on A Soldier's Story, by Bradley. If it were honest about Bradley, it would have shown how he graded his subordinates (he tended give flashy leaders poor marks and upgraded uninspired leaders like Simpson.)
  11. Tom DeFranco

Nothing is wrong with that - on a personal level. When his rosey views on a pivotal character become almost the sole opinion of that character in a movie that everyone in the ACW community was awaiting I think there is a problem. I felt the same way (let down) after seeing MacArthur seven years...
  12. Tom DeFranco

No argument there. My only knock about the Stonewall book is that it is probably a little too gushing - in terms of heaping maybe too much praise on Stonewall. He went too easy on him during the Seven Days, for example. Other than that, I think very highly about Robertson's ACW knowledge and his...
  13. Tom DeFranco

My take on its pro-Southern stance is Bud Robertson (who wrote a 1997 biography of Jackson. It was a very favorable bio.). When he heard about the movie being made, he rushed to the set. It stopped being a movie about the four lead characters and quickly became a biopic of Jackson which failed...
  14. Tom DeFranco

Let's see now, we are talking about an area in Illinois just over the MO border near St. Louis, not far southeast of there is Little Egypt, where the only family known to own slaves lived prior to the ACW. This is the area, where Illinois farmboys leaning towards the south joined the 10th TN...
  15. Tom DeFranco

I just checked mapquest about the location of Wood River, IL. It is near St. Louis, MO in the far sw portion of the state. It is on a latitude probably farther south than parts of Virginia. Thus it is no shock that the Klan could have a leader that lives there. That does not account for the fact...
  16. Tom DeFranco

You don't think that things like the Klan's involvement in the South (and Indiana, even), and anti-Black laws that existed and so on have done anything to with that image (right or wrong), do you? Regarding the Northerners in my poll, I don't think we had another (until Mike Duffy came on the...
  17. Tom DeFranco

And the architect of the Union defense for the final two days of the battle and the commanding General of the AotP (Meade) gets approximately 2 minutes of camera time. And the statements he makes overstate the obvious. Some Union officers are painted as buffoons, too (the guy who delivered the...
  18. Tom DeFranco

One does have to admit, though, that one of the main differences between Gettysburg and G & G is that Gettysburg was more balanced. In G & G, you go a good 45 mins to an hour before a Northerner becomes a sympathetic character. In the first Bull Run scenes, the Northern soldiers are just so much...
  19. Tom DeFranco

Jeff, I don't think one could watch Gone With the Wind or Birth of a Nation (as old as they are) and conclude that they are anti-Southern. As a matter of fact, until many of the John Wayne cowboy movies of the 1950s and 1960s, I can't think of very many Civil War movies with one side's...
  20. Tom DeFranco

I think that Gettysburg tried to be more balanced than G & G. To many here in the North (mostly uneducated about the War and some educated about the War), G & G was openly pro-Confederate. Even if one doesn't think so, there are things in the movie to suggest that notion. The Bonnie Blue flag...