Search results

1. djohannsen

Will MMP include Chpt. W in the Pocket Edition Rulebook?

As FW is a core module (at least I think it's supposed to be) and as the Pocket Edition Rulebook (PE RB) is print on demand (again, my understanding), is there any chance that we can get Chpt. W included in the Pocket Edition rules? I love the PE RB, and would rather not have to drag along my...
  2. djohannsen

LoS Tool

The tweezer "tool thread" here has got me asking something similar... I like the idea of the retractable "badge leash" for checking LoS (as opposed to thread), however the retracting line on mine is quite thick (so, sub-optimal). Can anyone recommend a product that is compact/retractable, but...
  3. djohannsen

Is a hex adjacent to itself?

While contemplating setup SSR for a scenario, I started thinking about adjacency in ASL (I know, it's never a good thing when I try to think). In particular, I was wondering if a location is ADJACENT to itself, and whether a hex is adjacent to itself. The first question was answered in a Perry...
  4. djohannsen

Malayan Campaign Scenario Recommendations

I hope that I might bother for scenario recommendations. In particular, I would like to find balanced (non-night) scenarios from the Malayan Campaign, from Dec 1941 - Jan 1942. If the scenario involved Japanese bicycles, that would be icing on the cake. If I were a bit more savvy about the...
  5. djohannsen

Half-level hindrance/obstacle and AFV and their riders

I've been thinking a bit about tank riders and half-level obstacles and hindrance. First, I believe that a tank behind a wall is hull down. Thus, the tank cannot use bow MG/FT and hull hits are not hits (i.e., the round plows into the wall, instead of the tank). Okay, fine. This got me...
  6. djohannsen

Grain Hinderance

I hope that I might run something by more experienced players; in particular, LoS hindrance due to Grain or Brush or vineyard (and maybe even other terrain types). I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but my recollection is that the rulebook states that Grain and Brush hindrance applies...
  7. djohannsen

Any Post-War Northern China Scenarios?

I just started learning a little bit of the Marines in Northern China following WWII. I wonder if anyone knows of any scenarios set during this period? You've got Communist and Nationalist Chinese forces (which are fighting and both armed with a mix of US and Japanese weapons), Japanese Army...
  8. djohannsen

Calais?

Can someone tell me if they know of any scenarios set during the 1940 defense of Calais, especially with the Allies mixed British and French? The setting (i.e., the Calais defense) seems like the perfect setting for a HASL (wishful thinking on my part).
  9. djohannsen

A7.302 Quickie

I am a bit befuddled by the language in A7.302, K/#: "At least one target unit suffers Casualty Reduction in each specifically targeted Location and all other units (including any just-Reduced HS) must take a MC,..." So, the two bold underline phrases above seem mutually contradictory. "All...
  10. djohannsen

Questions related to "Stranger in a Strange Land," ASL75

I suggested to a friend that we play ASL75, "Strangers in a Strange Land," for our next get together (after all, it's a classic). As I look over the scenario card, I have a couple of questions that I hope people will help me with. The first couple of questions have to do with SSR 5. "The...
  11. djohannsen

Very Quick BFF Question from a Novice

All, I apologize for asking such an elementary question, but as I am trying to learn AFV I find that my head is just swimming from the rules and I don't feel comfortable that I'm putting the pieces together correctly. Anyway, must an AFV must expend a MP before firing MA in its MPh? As I read...
  12. djohannsen

FrF52 Set up Question

I apologize for my ignorance, but could not find anything in the rulebook on this. In Frf52, "Dying for Danzig," the Soviet set up instructions state: "Set up < 3 hexes from either R8 or R1:" (actually, says less than or equal to 2, but I don't know the UTF-8 code for "less than or equal to"...
  13. djohannsen

"Road to Juniville" setup question

I'm setting up FT170, "The Road to Juniville," for solitaire play and have a quick question. The Germans enter from off board at the start of turn 1. Then, in the bottom of turn 1, two groups of French enter at two of three designated hexes. There are no SSR regarding the entry of the French...
  14. djohannsen

HIP AA Gun and Bypass

I'm sorry to keep coming here with rules questions, but I'm a new player trying to learn my way... In a recent play with a friend, the following situation arose. I had an AA gun and crew HIP in a building location. My opponent moved in bypass into the hex. At the time of the playing I...
  15. djohannsen

Panzerfausts in multi-hex buildings

I don't have my rule book in front of me (lunch break at work) and I'm mulling possibilities for finishing "Wise's War" scenario (currently in-progress with a friend and coming down to the wire), so I hope people don't mind me asking a question that I could probably look-up when I get home. Is...
  16. djohannsen

Two Morale Checks?

Sorry for the noob question, but hope it's not too much trouble for anyone. A squad and leader subject to DFire must make a MC+2. The leader, on his MC, rolls snake eyes. The battle hardening roll is a 2, so hero creation. The British SAN is a 2, so after the hero creation (but before the MC...
  17. djohannsen

Last Hurrah and Doomed Battalions - Novice Question

I have the first edition of Last Hurrah (Avalon Hill). So, I have the Allied Minor MMC, SMC, and SW (i.e., 1/2" counters). I would like to add some vehicles (actually, I would love to add all the vehicles and guns), without spending the couple of hundred bucks that Doomed Battalions is...
  18. djohannsen

VotG or Festung Budapest - which for a novice?

Well, when March rolls around I want to try one of the ASL HASLs and will purchase either VotG or Festung, as they are both about the same price. Is there a consensus on one being better than the other? (Am I right that VotG is considered a "classic?") I am new to ASL, having only played...