Search results

1. DWPetros

MMP enlarging maps maybe.

I play on 130% upsized geomaps, enlarged at FedEx. Cost to do so is high for colorized 11x17" (per half board) using high quality paper. MMP's estimated cost of $240 would be a bargain by comparison, especially if produced on cardstock. Play on larger hexes makes a lot of difference IMO...
  2. DWPetros

Ponyri completed....

The OB is pretty balanced with lots of infantry and armor. Yes, Ferds and several Stugs, Marders, and once the Pz18th comes in, PzIIIs and IVs. Russians - the standards; T34s, KVs, SU76s, and some SPs. The terrain is also balanced between rural and urban. Flat terrain with Level O...
  3. DWPetros

Latest MMP release

Overlays - So much potential.. I'm proposing to MMP that they produce 'large overlays' - ie. ones like in CoB - easy to cut and use, and which have a significant impact on the use of many existing geoboards that normally collect dust. The possibilities are almost endless - Villages, Hills...
  4. DWPetros

Looking for co-designer - East Front / Kursk AP

For now - I have some highly qualified partners. Thanks
  5. DWPetros

Looking for co-designer - East Front / Kursk AP

Hey, I'm hoping to connect with an experienced / (Kursk interested) designer to prepare an AP type release for MMP. I've already prepared the (much needed East front) geomaps / large overlays and have researched a number of battles that happened on the northern salient of the Kursk battle...
  6. DWPetros

Armored Trains

Agreed. I've attempted to produce Trench overlays with transparent sheets with no success using a standard color priter. The ink wouldn't take. I hope there is some other method for this somewhere because the concept is good I think. But placing plastic (vs paper) overlays and getting them...
  7. DWPetros

Why do you buy Critical Hit products? (anonymous poll)

I don't support CH! for the same reasons I don't support any company that behaves, in my view, unethically. That applies especially to ASL related companies & products. I like to think of ASL, it's legit publishers and loyal fans as a kind of brotherhood; where trust and decent...
  8. DWPetros

When is Ponyri up for pre-order?

Right. The publication of Marty Nevshemal's excellent 2015 book 'Objective Ponyri' (Leaping Horsemen publishing) required a revised CG, mainly to do with having the Germans entry points moved southward - and directly west of the town. Prior CG rules had them entering north of town - moving...
  9. DWPetros

When is Ponyri up for pre-order?

Just saw this one.. Hope to see it published some day - after 20 years, I'm starting to wonder though. (I'm not directly involved in the timing - that's MMP at this point) I think the guys who aren't familiar with it (CG or scenarios) don't know what they're missing here. It's as hard-core as...
  10. DWPetros

Board 77.

Would make sense. Looking at the actual photos of Hill 253.5, which are very hard to decipher, the hill was covered pretty much with grainfields. It wasn't even a hill per se, but instead a kind of escarpment sloping down at the south side - relatively flat at the northern approach by the...
  11. DWPetros

Board 77.

Weird. I was just doing a hill map with grain - designed for Kursk. Beat me to it..
  12. DWPetros

Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

Agree. We have too little of the open, 'in-between' terrain. Space is needed to compliment the forms (villages, hills, etc.) that are used for the goal.
  13. DWPetros

There's lots of reasons to do boards that resemble the Russian front. We don't have many now at all - and definitely not as many as warranted given the amount of fighting on the Eastern front. We're 'Russian poor'. The issue is about Russian terrain / ASL - the relatively more open spaces...
  14. DWPetros

I've hoped to see something like this for a long time - a village that looks like a real village in the WWII Soviet Union. Tom Repetti colorized this idea below. I've sketched several such - smaller geoboard type ideas. Currently doing some northern Kursk terrain. Hope to see it published...
  15. DWPetros

Geoboards - Boards 1,2,3,4 - 'Look Alike boards'

I think that special features (ie. airfields) which can be easily substituted with a decent sized overlay, should not be used. Keep it clean, as open as possible, and versatile. (how often has B14 airfield been used?) More importantly: Look-alike boards (ie. Boards 1,2,3,4 - maybe some few...
  16. DWPetros

In reply - Yes, I agree making new boards is best. ( i have about 300 of such sketches ). That said, such new boards require new scenarios which take time, and such releases (like an AP) are squeezed out roughly once a year - with 2 boards. Nice, but kind of stingy. New Z boards (ie. 1-4)...
  17. DWPetros

Thanks. As far as I know, only 2 boards; 10 and 17, have been 'Z'ed. Not sure if the intent here was to substitute these for the originals and to play original scenarios on them or not... These sketches are to be used with current (or future) scenarios. A production of these 'Z' boards...
  18. DWPetros

An idea. Given the frequency of usage of Boards 1-4, the idea is for MMP to produce new versions ('Z') of those boards. The idea would allow players to substitute those Look-alike boards for the original boards in existing published (and future) scenarios. The reason for this - those same...
  19. DWPetros

YOU CAN'T HANDLE... Board 86

Again, I like both boards 85 and 86 but can't help but comment about the little things that go into board design. Overall, they're IMO great additions to the system. Agreed that the off-center pods of terrain (villages / hills) give designers like Pete good ammunition for new scenarios -...