Search results

1. Binchois

Bad data in Module?

I just updated to VASL 6.5.0 (VASSAL 3.2.17) and am preparing to play one of Lone Canuck's "Just for Fun" scenarios PBEM ("French Mustered," if you're nosy interested). After my opponent setup, his file opens with the following message: "Bad Data in Module: Image not found FraNo.gif" What am I...
  2. Binchois

HMG Bunkers in Blitzkrieg in the West: Northern Campaign

In the first three scenarios for Blitzkrieg in the West: Northern Campaign, the Dutch receive Pillbox/bunkers with an HMG that is removable on a 1-3. What is the process for this dr and removal? I am torn whether the SSR is meant to be a pre-game option, a no-risk option during the Dutch Player...
  3. Binchois

Infantry Smoke Grenade Usage

A24.1 states that a MMC can may await the results of a previous unit's smoke grenade attempt before committing to making its own attempt. Meanwhile, Defensive First Fire against a grenade MF expenditure occurs only after the attempt dr is made, meaning that any resultant Smoke is considered...
  4. Binchois

FFE and SR Blast Height

Robin edit: This initial Perry Sez post has been copied and reproduced in the Perry Sez folder. An OBA situation which occurred in an ongoing playing of RO6. My opponent also referenced a discussion previously held on this thread. We had our theories, but couldn't find that an "official"...
  5. Binchois

Passengers once crew abandons

Hi all, When the inherent crew abandons a halftrack (in this case after an Immobilization TC), must the passengers also abandon or unload as well. To the best of my knowledge, no, but I want to be sure I am not missing anything. The only relevant passages I can find are D5.4-5.5 (which doesn't...
  6. Binchois

War Stories: Tell your tales from the ASL battlefield

By special request, I hereby initiate a thread for ASL "war stories," intended to elicit some quick scenario experiences plus tales of glory, roller-coaster swings of fortune, epic defeats, and unprecedented feats of heroism. To take a cue from Honza's fun "chain threads," I thought we'd make a...
  7. Binchois

DC placement from within SMOKE

Does placing a DC from within SMOKE require an additional MF - or is it placement into a SMOKE Location (or both?)? I am confused by what appears to be self-cancelling rules. First I read: A24.2 ...SMOKE has no effect on minefield, OBA, and DC attacks other than the added MF cost to place the...
  8. Binchois

Speaking of Bridges...

My question involves hex E19. A shallow stream with a GLRR Bridge running across it. For extra complexity, there is a road which crosses the stream via a Ford (my apologies for the glare and image quality): Is there any way for the Stuart to enter F18 (in order to travel down the RR into G18...
  9. Binchois

OP Stuart in "Roadblock at Mithwephok"

I'm up to the third (and last) scenario of the mini-CG from China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater - a great scenario pack, btw! With luck, Jim Burris is lurking nearby, but I'd be happy if some others have experience with OP AFVs or this CG... The Commonwealth have chosen the OBA support group...
  10. Binchois

Ammo Vehicles in the AFPh

A very necessary ruling considering what the rules as-written unrealistically seemed to allow for. However, is "Moving" just applicable to "targets" once the vehicle has "stopped"?: C.8 MOVING VEHICULAR TARGET: A vehicle is considered a moving target for To Hit/Effects purposes only if during...
  11. Binchois

British Carrier Note Q

British MAVN Note Q applies to many of the nation's Carriers: Q. The ATR has a maximum To Hit range of 12 hexes (as signified by "[12]TH" on the counter) and may be Scrounged/Removed. If optional, it is always available and has a 1.1 RF. If listed as MA, it has a "1" Multiple ROF. If it is a...
  12. Binchois

Broken in Crest

We're in the last gasps of "Cibik's Ridge" and I'm clutching at straws here. My last U.S. full-squad (w/MMG) was just broken by snipe while in Crest status atop a jungle-gully (X4, if you require all the gory details). With the IJA pressing hard, the Devil Dogs are not likely to survive unless...
  13. Binchois

You only get one set of dogtags!

Hi All! I've noticed that Lone Canuck's fun little Anzio pack includes counters with repeated SMC names. The play-tester and designer names (Cusler, Martuzas, McLeod, Howarth, Mitchell) show up repeatedly, and in a couple cases, the same name occurs on almost (but why just "almost"?) every...
  14. Binchois

Alt-hex FLs and hexside hindrance

A case of self-doubt here...probably just a stupid question: Do non-excluded hindrances (like Orchard or Graveyard) apply to an Alternative Hex Grain Fire Lane when a direct LOF to the target Location would not cross the hindrance itself? As an example, refer to the example found in A9.221...
  15. Binchois

Hexside LOS

I can't remember what is the industry standard in such cases: Board 37 has at least two hexes (F9 and L7 on my copy of the map) where the woods (light jungle in my game) extend right up to the hexside. When drawing LOS along such hexsides, is the LOS considered blocked as per inherent terrain...
  16. Binchois

Concealed, Snap-Dash!

Gentlemen: I am using ASL 181 (Gavin Take) as a teaching scenario to help a fellow Forumite relearn the ASLRB. A complex situation arose, and I don't want to steer a guy the wrong way! Here's the situation: Concealed U.S. Paratrooper in U2 wants to reach W3 while avoiding an obvious, concealed...
  17. Binchois

HASL Boards

A couple of thoughts to get your reaction to... My basement now possesses a great new, expandable table that can easily accommodate very large scenarios and most HASLs (Hatten, VotG, Corregidor, RO, RB, etc). Only the full, four-panel, Schmidt/Kommerscheidt map overhangs slightly on the short...
  18. Binchois

Farthest Shot Ever?

Roger (a.k.a. rdw5150) offered this interesting aside in a recent post: Now I don't know Roger (or his guitar), but this seemed like an original question to pose to all and sundry. What was the furthest shot you ever took? Can't say I have any idea myself, though I doubt I ever hit 48...
  19. Binchois

Hobbits in the Trenches!

Perhaps old news, but I only learned today about Peter Jackson's new WWI Documentary. Some truly painstaking restoration and manipulation makes 100-year old footage look so real, so modern, and so alive. Here's a link - article contains five or six short - but astonishingly vivid - clips...
  20. Binchois

Prisoners in bypass

A HS guard with [quite a few] prisoners attempts to bypass a building that contains friendly units at ground level. Enemy fire scores a lucky NMC which CRs the guard while leaving the prisoners mostly intact. What happens now? This took place during the last MPh of a scenario, but outside of...