Search results

1. Pyth

The Agony of Balance

Wasn't sure what the best forum was for this question? Rules? Design? If it's better somewhere else, please move. So I'm to start a game in couple of days of ASL 136 Agony of Doom, as the Germans. It seems famously unbalanced and my Soviet opponent has requested the balance. All very...
  2. Pyth

Oba-flowchart extension ist kaput?

Returning to game after an absence. Updated VASSAL and VASL. Latest greatest VASL seems great (recognizes old vlogs I thought were goners) but... my beloved OBA flowchart tab doesn't function. And I went to the VASL page to download the extension and although OBAflowchart is listed in the index...
  3. Pyth

A10.531 and the case of the mysterious House Rule

The following wonderfully clear text is snipped from a 2004 Ole Boe GS post: The part I emphasized in red is crucial to applying A10.531 correctly. And that red part could be said even more explicitly imo, something like "regardless of the individual characteristics of a unit's weapon or lack...
  4. Pyth

rout>interdiction>hob>beserk

My routing squad took interdiction, NMC was 1,1 .... hob made them beserk.... what do the new minted berserkers do? Stop in place? finish rout? charge? they had used 1 MF when they went bonkers. TIA
  5. Pyth

SW as passenger/ Bucholz Station

ASL Scenario I (?) Bucholz Station has the US beginning the scenario with a dm HMG as 'passenger' on a jeep. Is this an unpossessed SW that must be recovered? Can the jeep "drop" it, or must it be unloaded? Does the inherent Driver unload it, or must some infantry load onto the jeep, grab it...
  6. Pyth

Aerial Range and NVR

When paratroops are aerial, their range is aerial (doubled)... but the NVR is calculated by hexes not range -- right? <--- that's my primary question. According to my read of Chap E NVR is measured in hexes and there doesn't seem to be an EXC for Aerial. So in a NVR=3 Scenario a Paratrooper...
  7. Pyth

Abandoning into melee

Here's the situation: I have a German halftrack in a woodsroad hex containing a German 548 and a Russian 628 in melee, and adajacent are more Russian Infantry. It is German Mph. I am considering my options. One option being, abandoning into the melee (bringing my germans up to 1-1 with the...
  8. Pyth

C3.41 ITT buildings and "devoid of such" DRMs

I want to prepfire a stopped BU 88LL ITT at a ground level wooden building location which contains no apparent enemy but which may contain a HIP Gun. What are the DRMs for hitting the building (to create potential rubble/flame) and what are the DRMs for hitting a HIP'd emplaced Gun should it...
  9. Pyth

Defensive fire vs DC Placement (and smoke placement).

In the RB example for A23 DC placement -- a german unit enters an open ground road hex between buildings and places a DC charge in a building hex occupied by a soviet 5-2-7 -- 1 MF expended moving, 2 MF expended in the road placing charge. The executive summary of my question is: Do the MF...
  10. Pyth

Remarkable late war US film clip

I was googling for an image of an AFV rubbling a building and stumbled across this imo rather powerful film clip (under 5 mins) about the US capture of Cologne -- its probably familiar to many of you and I think some of this footage is used pretty often but I'd never seen it in entireity and...
  11. Pyth

For PF targetting... is a squad that possesses a DC "manning a SW"?

The thread title is the question.
  12. Pyth

Maximum hindrance for firelane placement

What is the maximum hindrance for firelane placement? I believe the initial firelane establishing shot must be +5 hindrance (as +6 is out of los,) this is whether the hindrance is hard or soft. Assuming that is correct, I believe it is also correct that firelane residual --after a legal...
  13. Pyth

Minefield exit and HIP Discovery.

An German MMC exits an AP-minefield location to enter a woods hex containing a HIP American MMC. 1. The minefield exit attack is conducted prior to any bumpscout -- so if the German is pinned or worse, it has not exited the hex and has not bumped the HIPster. Correct?
  14. Pyth

Wall advantage, Guns and buildings.

A hex contains a stone building and three of its hexsides are bocage. -- Can infantry set-up HIP in the building hex w/ WA and retain concealment as if in concealment terrain? -- Can a Crew possessing an M5 76L ATGun set up emplaced HIP in the building and claim WA, retaining concealment as in...
  15. Pyth

Questions about Winter Offensive

If I can only make a day trip for Winter Offensive is there a best day to go? I presume there's a multi-day tournament... but would there be some casual ASL for someone (me) who can't make the whole thing?
  16. Pyth

Hero gets his gun(s)?

German MMC riders possessing an lmg take fire generating a 1,1 morale check and HOB generates a hero. According to: As this is a sub-unit creation, the hero gets his gun 'freely' but does he get it the instant he is created, or does he wait until all other fire against that MP expenditure is...
  17. Pyth

Crew survival and D1F

If the elimination occurs during the Mph what does 'expending all remaining MF' mean regarding further D1F shots? Do crew possess MF calculated as one does passengers based on the MP's expended prior to unloading... -- so that a Crew which survives an attack that came in the first 1/4 of its...
  18. Pyth

Gun duels and smoke

Can smoke dispensers of any kind be used by either attacker or defender in gun duel (sD sM sN crew smoke)? Also can a non-motion AFV DFF SMOKE ammo? (and if so it could presumably use SMOKE in a gun duel... I don't think it should be able to but I don't think I've seen a rule prohibiting it.)
  19. Pyth

Conflicting Q&A for -- Bog penalties for AFVs in Buildings and Woods?

Can anyone straighten this out for me? My question is essentially the one being asked in the Q&A's... The answers of which contradict the D2.11 RB text in a way I can't explain, but that's ok, its the way Q&A's seem to contradict each other that really has me wondering how to proceed.
  20. Pyth

CC reaction fire with streetfighting rules + VBM and concealment loss -- when does "its" (AFV's) MPh end.

This came up in a game last night (in the most agonizing way for me.) A whole lot of questions about concealment (loss) and the resolution of CC reaction fire against stationary bypass. A BU German AFV entered a building hex in bypass and stopped. (The stop the 14th MP expended by a vehicle...