Search results

1. EJ1

The recent PS re offboard actions (A2.51)

The recent PS question regarding offboard actions includes the constraint, “. . . so long as the involved unit enters mapboard at the end of the MPh.” Would Perry’s answers change if one waits until the APh or a subsequent turn (if allowed by the scenario) to bring the involved unit on board? If...
  2. EJ1

Human Wave and Predesignated Impulse Movement (A25.23 and D14.31)

Prester and clubby, thanks for your quick replies. Yep, I think so, too, although such a tactic doesn't seem very impulse-ish. Cheers
  3. EJ1

Human Wave and Predesignated Impulse Movement (A25.23 and D14.31)

Hi all, My Russians are conducting a human wave, and two Russian MMCs on the left flank of this wave are approaching a concealed enemy unit. I think the concealed unit is a dummy, but maybe not. The last line of paragraph one of D14.31 reads, "Units using Impulse Movement do not need to...
  4. EJ1

Changing CA in PFPh and AA Defense (E7.5 and C3.22)

Hi all, The scenario I'm playing includes enemy air support. In my PFPh, I sense an imminent air attack, and I use E7.5 AA Fire to change my AA gun's CA (direction and AA status [1]). In my immediate MPh, will I incur an adverse DRM for changing my CA as I defend against the enemy air attack...
  5. EJ1

Concealment optional rule

Hi, Netto. Also, add a wad of blue, sticky artist tack to the non-working end of your tweezers. Works great for picking up counters, such as the top counters off stacks. Cheers,
  6. EJ1

elite versus Elite

Every once in a while, I pull this photo to remember that even in the face of adversity . . . Dinant, after their first player turn on board: two amazing max. range French ATR shots through orchards and three malfs in quick succession. Per my calculations, the odds of winning the lottery are a...
  7. EJ1

D9.4 AFV/Wreck LOS Hindrance

Hey, the house hinders nothing, but your couch-potato husband in there sure does. Ha.
  8. EJ1

Deleting old games

The more I type and text the worse my handwriting becomes. I tease my kids telling them their children will be born with extra thumbs for texting.
  9. EJ1

A11.8 Street Fighting

As hard as I try, the syntax of this rule continues to confuse me. Please help me unpack the following sentence. The part that confuses me is shown in red. Contained within A11.8: "All Infantry advancing into that road Location from ground level of one or more of those adjacent building hexes...
  10. EJ1

I agree about the risks of using house rules; yet Stavka’s rule, message 825 from above, seems so straight forward and reasonable that I’d like to see added to the base rules. At quick pass, it seems adding it would require only one short bullet point to the exceptions in D9.4. Furthermore...
  11. EJ1

A4.132 and B3.4---buildings and road bonus

Hi, all. Two questions about entering buildings/factories using road bonus. A4.132 Ex. 2: “Similarly, Infantry could use the road in 5I10 to enter the building in I9 at a cost of one MF.” B3.4 “Infantry . . . which cross only road hexsides [my emphasis] throughout their MPh are entitled to one...
  12. EJ1

Yes, good one; worthy of being added to the list of exceptions in D9.4. Cheers
  13. EJ1

Ah, thanks. The old “inherent.” Foiled again.
  14. EJ1

Hi, gents. As per the following image, my AFVs a & b are adjacent (the red arrow indicates a is in building 4T3). Come my PFPh, will a's presence in the building cause a +1 Hindrance DRM to b's TH DR against the Russians in 4R5? My read of D9.4 says yes, but the LOS from b to the Russians...
  15. EJ1

Armored Assault question

I agree with Doug and Jim in that the tank may move no farther; yet, my logic or wording to reach the same result might be slightly different. I say, look only at the infantry’s action, what they did or declared. In the D9.31 examples, the Tiger is only able to move farther because of the...
  16. EJ1

VASL6.6.8-beta6.vmod is released

Hi, Steven. I'm confirming results similar to apbills; using VASL 6.6.8-beta8 and VASSAL 3.7.8 on my Windows HP laptop, all my units placed, concealed, and moved about properly. German, British, and N Korean units concealed as expected using right-click, ctrl-c, and dropping a "?" counter from...
  17. EJ1

Board 47 Stream

Long ago, during the Cold War, a friend worked as a satellite photo analyst. He told me that when they looked at satellite photos of various installations in Russia and saw what looked like worn grass between buildings, they thought the facility was probably just a civilian school. In the...
  18. EJ1

Board 47 Stream

For those who find examples to be helpful, here's draft #2. I cleaned it up some, added a couple of rows so as to offer counter-examples, added relevant rules, and resorted it. If you'd like, send me a note suggesting other hexes that you think deserve to be included---the idea isn't to list...
  19. EJ1

Board 47 Stream

Hi, BattleSchool. Interesting that your capture of 47C5 and 47F8 both show stream artwork crossing over into the adjacent hexes. Neither my physical board nor VASL 47(v7.3) show such artwork crossing over. Maybe the ruling on 47C5 and 47F8, by extension, is to respect the original artwork as...
  20. EJ1

Board 47 Stream

For those of us who sometimes want to improve our understanding or quickly refer to an authoritative source so as to speed a game along, maybe something like this will help. Notice that I included two examples each of a headwaters and an island hex; this is to show the idea of referring a reader...