Search results

1. J

Should Out-of-Print Scenarios be freely available?

Actually, the whole thing started with a discussion of copyright law until you started trying to shoehorn your sophomoric eat-the-rich lefty politics into the discussion. But thanks for playing. I'm standing by my guess of `college student', by the way. :-)
  2. J

There is no such things as a 95 year `patent' on anything. Please get your terminology straight and work out your confusion between patent and copyright law (two very different things). More generally, as the overwhelming majority of justices pointed out to Mr. Breyer, the decision as to what...
  3. J

Well, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, and presume that your generosity with other people's hard work was a product of youthful inexperience instead of some deeper wrong-headedness. If this is not the case, then you have one less excuse. :-)
  4. J

College student, right? No family to feed and provide for, no real responsibilities in the world? Let's see how long your opinion on inheritance holds up once you have a wife and children depending on you....
  5. J

Actually, everyone here is content with some limit, but there is wide disagreement as to what that limit should be, a question the Constitution voices no opinion on, leaving the decision to Congress*. So, in point of fact, while we can argue as to what Congress should rule, it's simply...
  6. J

Two points: First of all, there is zero reason to assume that a creator's death will not occur `early after the work was released'. Any system in which the creator's rights expire on his death is thus awfully arbitrary, with some works lasting days after creation, and others lasting years...
  7. J

Of course -- but this would necessarily be the effect, since creations people had spent a lot of time and hard work (not to mention money!) on making would no longer be able to benefit their survivors. By making intellectual property different from all other property (by making it...
  8. J

And screw their families, eh? If I work my life to build up the value of a company I own, my family benefits from this on my death. If I've worked my life inventing something, my family benefits from my hard work upon my death. But if I write (or paint, or animate, or compose) something --...
  9. J

Degenerating post of Dday special - I've moved on

Again, this is a non sequitur, as I pointed out before. More specifically, to paraphrase Patton, it is not the man who dies for his country who wins the war, but the man who makes the other poor Bastard die for his. No one is contesting that more Russians died in the war than Americans or...
  10. J

This is absolutely clear as well -- note in particular that it was American industrial production and design, particularly in the area of trucks, that made possible the victories which the Russians did achieve.
  11. J

It is worth noting that the major Russian victories people keep citing in this thread, most notably Bagration, all occurred after a number of the strongest and best equipped divisions on the Eastern front had been stripped off and sent West. Even so, and even advancing more rapidly against now...
  12. J

PP of Vehicles loaded in LC

Chapter G divider, and G12. See also the excellent summary and flowchart for LC usage in View from the Trenches issue 21.
  13. J

It is always convenient to believe, after the fact, that some battle or another ``could not have turned out any other way''. In point of fact, every history I've read on the subject suggests that at least the `small solution' objectives of Wacht am Rhein were completely reachable, and had the...
  14. J

Re: The Cold War Continues in some people's minds obviously That's your source? That a historian who has spent his career focusing on the Eastern Front believes that the war was won there? Anyhow, let's keep the question simple: what makes you believe that the Germans would have lost the...
  15. J

Re: Not to belabor a point More to the point, measuring the importance of a battle merely by how many died is just silly. Far more Japanese died at Iwo Jima than at Midway, but the former was much more of a turning point in the war. Far more Germans died at Stalingrad than in Wacht am Rein...
  16. J

Re: Not to belabor a point Bald assertion without support. Not only was the Rhine crossed before the Soviets reached Germany, there is little reason to believe that the East could not have held indefinitely as a single front.
  17. J

Re: D-Day Remembrance Programming Without addressing the underlying question right now, these two statements of yours are completely unrelated. If the majority of casualties occurred on the Eastern front, this does not, of course, mean the war was won there. The vast majority of the...
  18. J

WCW 1-10 Scenario Pack

Re: WCW is not dead Without having any interest in joining this debate (believe me, I have enough scenarios to last me a lifetime if you succeed in keeping me from sharing these two more), what you say here is simply incorrect from an IP law standpoint. You can make any changes you want to...
  19. J

Board 1 Ques.

It does, and it is -- no intent necessary. To argue otherwise is to require an amount by which a building may enter another hex without being two stories tall to be defined, and you would be awfully hard-pressed to find a distinction anywhere near as simple as the current `does or does not...
  20. J

Board 1 Ques.

This is hardly the same thing -- one can `reason' (read: `argue') as to whether a LOS passes through a building depiction or only through its shadow, but one cannot reason as to whether, should the LOS pass through the building depiction, it is blocked. Likewise, you are free, I suppose, to...