Search results

1. boylermaker

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Just played my first real stinker out of Poland In Flames: BFP-122 At Sword Point. Looking at ROAR, I realized that everybody else is smarter than me, took one look at the card, and skipped it, because there are only four playings, almost the lowest from PiF. Just a completely unfun scenario...
  2. boylermaker

Help with paradrops!

Hi, preparing for my first parachute scenario. I don't know if I'm just getting dumber, or if this section of the rules is unusually badly written, but I can't figure out a lot of things. Here are my queries: 1. Do units on the ground floor of a multi-level building hex have LOS to aerial units...
  3. boylermaker

VASLeague 2024

Just finished a really fun game against Jim Taylor in the East Division. We chose The Last Attack, in which the Russians need to defend two widely-separated buildings against Finnish infantry supported by German armor. Rather than split his forces and attack both buildings simultaneously, Jim...
  4. boylermaker

Today's VASL View From The Cheap Seats

Edge case, but some vehicles maintain Acq even when moving, no? Possibly the owner gets a free LOS check anyway in that scenario, though. I still label my acquisitions because I find that they become unlinked during saving fairly often, and then you can have a big mess.
  5. boylermaker

Testing some MMP dice

Worth noting: even if a particular set of dice are all unbalanced, they are still random to you and your opponent because y'all don't know which side is going to come up more often. So it's still fair to use them even if the dice themselves are not statistically "fair". (This no longer applies...
  6. boylermaker

J214 setup question

Thanks everybody!
  7. boylermaker

J214 setup question

@Brucestevenson and I are setting up J214, and disagree about some of the setup restrictions: Americans must set up "north of the stream at least 2 hexes away from all stream hexes". Is this "two hexes" away or "one hex"?
  8. boylermaker

A Poem for Klas by ChatGPT

Ah, the most difficult task in AI Alignment: trying to get ChatGPT to write a poem that does not rhyme.
  9. boylermaker

Congrats to the Sword and Fire: Manila designers!

I mostly agree with this--almost all of the complexity comes from what happens when stringing LOS to/from higher levels--which I gather comes into play much more from the EmRR side of things than Hillocks proper.
  10. boylermaker

And it produced a stellar map. But it would be an even more stellar map without the embankment railway hexes: even if you don't like the traditional ASL way of connecting an elevated road to ground level (i.e., you just put them next to each other and don't worry about it), Ramps shows a way...
  11. boylermaker

I just got my Sword and Fire HASL, and I'm leafing through it and it looks really cool, but I'd like to congratulate the designers on one thing in specific: Nowhere in this HASL are the Hillock rules used! Well done! I know that it is considered gauche among CG designers not to add four...
  12. boylermaker

A new "Panther" by Rheinmetall

Exactly! Except this upgrade lets you do it in all terrains.
  13. boylermaker

A new "Panther" by Rheinmetall

Based on what the video focuses on, it seems like the main thing potential purchasers are looking for in a tank is ... the ability to look like it's multi-track drifting?
  14. boylermaker

The Eastern Gate - Part Two

I think that the incentive for the Gurkhas not to do this is that pushing toward the hill also moves you away from the reinforcing Japanese columns, spreading them out and allowing you a chance to defeat them in detail.
  15. boylermaker

VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

You're right, but I think there are three important pieces of context missing here: First, VASL maps have never quite matched up to physical maps, in part because the physical maps don't all agree with each other: LOS's can vary between the mounted/unmounted boards, for instance. This is not...
  16. boylermaker

VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

I prefer it as well, although I can see why it would be jarring the first time you run into it. But everything about the PTO is coarse and irritating the first time you encounter it, so I guess it's all of-a-piece.
  17. boylermaker

Just finished up BFP-106, Going Postal. This Poland in Flames scenario features a mixed group of Polish infantry and partisans defending against what feels like a battalion of crummy SS with a lot of toys. The Poles have to defend three victory buildings: the first is far forward, and almost all...
  18. boylermaker

You Probably Shouldn't, But You Do Anyway

I mean, I CAN make you: I can drop concealment whenever I want. Another answer: Taking prisoners
  19. boylermaker

You Probably Shouldn't, But You Do Anyway

Shooting into melees!
  20. boylermaker

In the USA East VASL league, I faced off against John Bock in 53: A High Price to Pay. I had just gotten Hollow Legions, so I wanted to play some Italians, and John kindly obliged. He had a small force of British paratroopers defending a bridge and pillbox in Sicily against a very large but...