Search results

1. JOKippe

Nazi switched the pitch of 'A' from 432 MHz to 440 MHz.

If I remember correctly, pitches continually crept upward throughout musical history,even the classical periods. The higher pitches sounded brighter, etc. , plus it was harder to find a standard for pitch reference in the old days. Maybe before that, everything sounded like Type O Negative was...
  2. JOKippe

Fury Review

Nah, we say "Hey Y'all, hold my can of Busch!"
  3. JOKippe

Did anyone know I play drums in a band?

I enjoyed it. A fine job of drummin' too. Really rockin' from the 2nd tune and on.
  4. JOKippe

Fury Review

Certainly a disappointing film, but I'd have to say that Breakthrough (1979) is worse, being a "sequel" to Cross of Iron and all. Kubrick's Fear and Desire is even more worse, and the most worst I ever saw was a horrible film called Battle of Blood Island (1960).
  5. JOKippe

Fury Review

Has anyone created an ASL scenario based on that last battle in the movie yet?:D
  6. JOKippe

How FOX Screwed Up Firefly

Even after all that rubbish, Fox still put it in a bad timeslot and showed episodes out of order. J. Michael Straczynski had similar problems with his Babylon 5 spinoff, Crusade. Straczynski finally said screw it after a few episodes and moved on to other things. I'm not really sure why...
  7. JOKippe

Tony Stewart, what are your thoughts?

Ah, so Ward was impaired by heavy cannabis usage, and intoxicated by such at the time of the accident. Now we know why Ward's behavior was abnormal.
  8. JOKippe

Test of the NFL

After the commissioner of football solves the problem of domestic violence in the United States, perhaps he can move on to ensuring world peace and a cure for cancer as well.
  9. JOKippe

What is your favorite war movie?

Some of my favorites: Apocalypse Now: I consider it the greatest film of all time, of any genre. I'd have to say that I prefer the 2001 version to the "Redux" version, simply because a lot of the cut scenes needed to be refilmed (for example, the monsoon scene proved that Playboy bunnies just...
  10. JOKippe

The Walking Dead — Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I haven't read the comic, so I'm not sure if there are any clues there. It does appear that the town is ran by cannibals. Outside help does seem a possibility, since Sgt. Ford is still out there..and the actor is signed on for Season 5 ;)
  11. JOKippe

Television: What shows are you currently watching?

There is some overlap between TNG and DS9 (and DS9 and Voyager as well), but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to watch all the multi-show episodes in strict "order"...and one would also have to work in the feature films to do that. Think of them as books in, say, a trilogy...books that tell...
  12. JOKippe

Stargate SG-1 is often dismissed by fans of the genre, but it's in fact quite good. At first, the series is both very derivative and very original at the same time. R.D. Anderson really makes the early seasons worth watching, giving the series a freshness that hasn't been around since the first...
  13. JOKippe

College Football 2014

Holy cow! I'm glad I didn't make a fool of myself by saying that South Carolina was my pick to win the SEC championship. My Hogs will get thumped by Auburn on Saturday, but I think they'll cover the 20 point spread.
  14. JOKippe

The hottest guitar player alive today

I had the good fortune of seeing BB King play a few years ago. It was a very good show, and I also know that I can put on a BB King CD and pretty much enjoy the whole thing. Sometimes I think that BB is just a little too slick with his playing...he plays what he plays with an incredible...
  15. JOKippe

They used to be a real band...by the time Trucks joined up, they were just an oldies band ;) I've often considered the long path through the rock genre that led to guitar players with skills beyond the norm. I judge that The Yardbirds (Clapton, Page, Beck) were the first band that really...
  16. JOKippe

There are a LOT of technically-proficient guitar players around these days...hell, someone could fill this thread with clips of Norwegian Black Metal shredders that are every bit as skilled as Vai. The crux is that most of these great players, Vai included, just don't make a lot of good music...
  17. JOKippe

Eli Wallach has died

We watched Ace High (I quattro dell'Ave Maria) last weekend in his honor.
  18. JOKippe

Continuing my rewatch of the Star Trek universe. Currently on DS9 Season 4, disk 3. Trying to appreciate it more the second time around, but I still get that nagging feeling that Babylon 5 set the pace in this space race. Still, this 4th Season got off to a very good start, at least until it hit...
  19. JOKippe

Game of Thrones is so overrated

I'm usually not one to respond in depth to trollish behavior (the OP's intent with this post to begin was to offend others with a lot of assertions that were simply uneducated POVs, and the thread should be titled "I Think Game of Thrones is So Overrated Because I Don't Understand It"), but I'll...
  20. JOKippe

Game of Thrones is so overrated

Lol, I'll stand by my statement that anyone who thinks that GoT isn't fantasy and doesn't have character development knows nothing about either...or else hasn't really watched it. And, if a person has read much classic literature, then they would know that "mean-spirited, heinous, long-winded"...