Search results

1. RobZagnut

The troubling trend of two pages for one scenario…

Anyone else becoming irritated with the trend of scenarios taking up two pages instead of one? Last night I was looking thru the Forgotten War scenarios and LFT 14 – The Italians. There were numerous FW scenarios on two pages and NINE of the LFT scenarios took up two pages, mostly for the SSRs...
  2. RobZagnut

No ASL for 3 years. Here’s what I learned... and some questions.

I haven’t played ASL for 3+ years. Instead, I’ve done a lot of hiking, played lots of euros (mostly Pandemic Legacy, Nations and Concordia), played a ton of Gloomhaven with my sons (Highly recommended. Tactical fantasy ASL in a huge box stuffed with awesomeness) and I’m taking Country Swing...
  3. RobZagnut

Off board Counter clean up - Pop-up Bit Bowls

Cool new pop-up bit bowls for the ASLer who has everything: https://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/bgg-folding-bit-bowls?mc_cid=96c1a43c6c&mc_eid=9605e8b35d I’ve already ordered a set of 12...
  4. RobZagnut

Only 10 for the rest of your life...

You only get to have the Rulebook, Beyond Valor v3, Yanks v2, For King and Country, Rising Sun, and the DASL boards. That's it. No extra scenario packs, Action Packs, Annuals/Journals, free online scenarios, TPP products, no VASL stuff, Historical modules, etc. For the rest of your life...
  5. RobZagnut

Who was your mentor(s)?

Who was your mentor(s)? What did he/they teach you? Are they still playing? My mentor is my best friend Jess Ward. Back in 1991 I ran into Jess at the Spokane Game Faire. A couple of our friends were playing in a long game of Civilization, so we were standing around watching them when we...
  6. RobZagnut

How exited are you about the Korean War module?

10 is best and you are really excited, 1 is the worst and you are not interested at all. Why? I'm a 10. I'm really looking forward to this one. I've read The Forgotten War by Clay Blair in anticipation of its arrival (Thanks Pete Shelling for the suggestion). I want to see the new units, the...
  7. RobZagnut

Hacksaw Ridge - are you going to watch it?

I'm going. It got a 10 minute standing ovation at the Venice film festival. BTW - I tore up my knee playing basketball, so I'm out from work for awhile. And no hiking or basketball for 4-6 weeks. So, you guys have got to keep me entertained... (start lots of flame wars, so I can throw some...
  8. RobZagnut

Desert island... only two modules?

You and your favorite opponent (and two females) are stuck on a desert island for the rest of your lives. You get to bring a rulebook, dice, Beyond Valor v3 and two other modules. These include core modules, Action Packs, HASLs (Red Barricades, Festung Budapest, etc) and all TPP (BFP's Blood &...
  9. RobZagnut

Touchdown Seattle, chaos NFL

NFL is in big trouble after that Seahawk TD fiasco. I didn't think the officiating in the Raven-Patriot game could get any worse. I was wrong. Luckily the Steelers have a bye this week, so they won't get screwed next Sunday and hopefully the refs will be back by then.
  10. RobZagnut

Why GameSquad?

Roger’s ‘5000 posts - Get a Life’ topic got me thinking. What are the reasons you read and post messages on GameSquad? Using the list below, give me your percentages adding to 100% of how you spend your time on GS. * I like watching and participating in the flame wars, pass the popcorn * I...
  11. RobZagnut

Kreta Review

Got my copy of Kreta this weekend after finding it stuffed and bent in my little mailbox. FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! 1) I read thru the CG rules and I'm impressed by the look and feel that the map is going to give of the terrain. Excellent job HoB!!! 2) I like the linked scenarios idea and hope that...
  12. RobZagnut

Fog of War poll.

ASL is slanted towards the attacker, which is why most players prefer to attack. Should there be more Fog of War rules or SSRs that give back some surprises or advantage of being the defender? Are there any other Fog of War ideas that you think should be implemented in scenarios?
  13. RobZagnut

Scenarios - Why isn't RB CG structure used more often?

Why isn’t the Red Barricades CG structure used for single scenarios or for a series of scenarios? The purchase phase using CPP is one of the best and most exciting aspects of ASL that has ever been designed. I’m surprised that it isn’t being used in scenario packs. For example - Each side gets...
  14. RobZagnut

Ho Hum...

Just got two more scenario packs in the mail. 16 scenarios. Some look really good, some okay, some I'll never play. The packs will go into binders with my 1000+ other scenarios. Nothing special. Nothing really stands out. Am I the only one who thinks that after 15 years ASL scenarios could...