Search results

1. johnl

Heroic DRM and Cocktail Molotov

Yep. A15.23. I don't see an EXC in the Molotov rules. 15.23 WEAPONS USE: A hero may use a non-MG SW as if he were a leader but applies a -1 DRM to its To Hit or IFT DR.
  2. johnl

What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

Rumor has it that most lenders will approve a second mortgage if you put "Advanced Squad Leader Products" on the Reason for Loan line. ;);)
  3. johnl

VASL-6.6.8 is released

I had a similar problem. I could not get offboard items (turn track, phase wheel, counters) to go where I put them. It was as if there were "offboard" snap points. I went back to 6.6.7 and haven't had a chance to re-try or test further.
  4. johnl

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Zombie scenarios from ESG
  5. johnl

ASL Tournament List

Thanks, Michael. This helps to show friends and family how widespread the hobby is -- and my wife where she can find me - NOT
  6. johnl

ASL Maxims

I think that's a maxim. ASL tactics are always situational. There are no absolute right or wrong ways.
  7. johnl

HIP units and how to remember where they are...

It would be nice to have a "lock" function where you could glue the AL to the vehicle. I find it rather clunky to move them together and often find him yelling "wait for me, you idiots" a couple of turns later.
  8. johnl

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Friendly Fire
  9. johnl

ASL Tournament List

I recall some time ago seeing a list of all of the (known) ASL tournaments with location, dates, etc. Is that still out there somewhere?
  10. johnl

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Train, armored (is this legal?)
  11. johnl

Tank AA MG question

The "or other SW" phrase in 15.23 seems to imply that the hero is firing a SW MG to apply this rule although this isn't 100% clear.:p
  12. johnl

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Maczek Fire Brigade
  13. johnl

Dummy Squad or HS

Can a ?? dummy represent either a squad or half squad. IOW can a real hs move into a 1s foxhole with a dummy?
  14. johnl

Can you use Canister while in VBM?

I'm sure that's the case and we just played on. I guess the issue hasn't come up for me since 2013. I'm surprised I even remembered it considering I can't remember what day it is half the time.
  15. johnl

Can you use Canister while in VBM?

I submitted a Q&A in May 2013 and am awaiting a response. I can't find the email but it included this diagram asking if these were v FWIWalid aiming points for canister for a vehicle in Bpass. FWiW
  16. johnl

Rally Point Volume 20 scenarios for ROAR or JR are you still alive?

I agree but ROAR is so baked into everybody's psyche that it will require a lot of effort to get folks to change, certainly more than just lobbying here on GS. You know the old saw about turning an aircraft carrier around?
  17. johnl

Map data

Use the "pick new boards" function. It's in the menu of the soldier holding a grenade in the upper left corner. Use the "clear" button and then set up the correct boards as if starting from scratch. Counters may or may not follow depending on which board they were on.
  18. johnl

Rally Point Volume 20 scenarios for ROAR or JR are you still alive?

This shows ROAR data was updated in October 2023 so 5 months ago. Scenario Archives probably needs cooperation from the ROAR administrator to perform the update. I'd guess it's not automatic.
  19. johnl

Only IFT MCs can Pin?

The eASLRB is formatted and paginated exactly like the binder edition. You could print it yourself or take it to a printer and have it done up with 3-ring binder holes. This could get expensive though if you want to keep up with updates. There have been at least 8 so far on Wargame Vault's...
  20. johnl

elite versus Elite

I've always liked the intro to HOB. "15.1 HEAT OF BATTLE: The cauldron of battle, which destroyed so many units that failed the test of arms, could also forge better soldiers and/or acts of desperation borne of heroism or despair." I can identify with the " desperation borne of ... despair" part.