Search results

1. witchbottles

Festung Budapest vs the Annuals

now that, sir, deserves a nomination for a spuddy.....
  2. witchbottles

ABTF HASL - Why do you hate it? Why don't you hate it?

hopefully, consideration is similarly being addressed to balancing the Primosole Bridge CGs as well.
  3. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

Games with John Garlic and with Bob Eury have begun.
  4. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

Bob Eury and I are playing J74 Priests on the Line. Bob has the Americans.
  5. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

In the interests of more enjoyment for Bob Eury - as the other three opponents have opted for Grebbe End with Bob, we are modifying to another choice from Bob's list. I will advise the new scenario choice and sides as soon as we lock them down. Jon H
  6. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

John Garlic and I are playing FE 10 "An Abandoned Army" - John Garlic has the Dutch.
  7. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

Got it. Thank you for the roll. Sergio - Bob Eury and I are playing Grebbe End, ASL 143. Bob has the Dutch.
  8. witchbottles

CyberVASL XVI

got the matchup emails. Bob Eury and I need someone to roll 1d6 die roll for us to determine sides. Can someone please make a die roll and post the result here? Thanks. Jon H
  9. witchbottles

2-8 LMG in FW

Do you have any source information that the MG company of 1st Marine Def Bn had any Lewis MGs on Wake? I do have access to a source document indicating the 6th MG company had in addition to its 24 M1917A1s, a total of four Putaeux 37mm guns. This was interesting as 5th and 6th companies were...
  10. witchbottles

Now relocated to Fillmore, UT

Now relocated to Fillmore, UT
  11. witchbottles

"Ghost Army" veteran obituary

i bet you would.... that is a topic for another place and time, however. Now, if I can just get the staff editors at NI Press to buy into the cold submission idea----- :)
  12. witchbottles

also of note - Sun Tzu is mandatory reading for all NCO's, warrant, and commissioned officers, in the U.S. Armed Forces, upon their promotion to leadership rank. Good reason for it, too - because it is entirely correct that the axioms of war are as true today as they were in the dynastic era of...
  13. witchbottles

No. LRT was key terrain. For Gettysburg - which was a battle lost by the Confederacy at Chancellorsville - perhaps the closest example to fatal terrain would be Seminary Ridge. Buford recognized this - and held it long enough to influence the battle, at high cost to the Union Cav Corps. Lee...
  14. witchbottles

it is not the "key terrain feature" one should be wary of in evaluating a battlefield, but the terrain feature that presents fatal terrain. A good example most Americans would be familiar with would be "the Angle" at the Spotsylvania battlefield. It could not be ignored by either side, yet it...
  15. witchbottles

One of the lesser understood concepts of Sun Tzu present in ASL is that of "fatal terrain". This is the key terrain feature which, upon close understanding of the field of battle, can neither be reasonably successfully defended, nor can it be surrendered to the enemy without a fight, due to the...
  16. witchbottles

Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

When Jim and I played this one, my Marines faired poorly on the left and did extremely well on the right. The Japanese can launch a turn 2 banzai on the left with excellent chances of getting on the hill if the Marines are not reading the terrain correctly, as the mist will give them enough...
  17. witchbottles

Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

the elephant in the room with the question is whether or not Chad feels he has time to successfully submit and then see it through, for any other TPP or even for MMP. It is a large commitment to submit a project like this and then see it through to publication. I think Chad indicated up thread...
  18. witchbottles

Birthday presents

another option for a display piece, many wartime M1 Garands were, like their M1903A3 predecessors, converted in the 1950s for use as drill/display pieces for use in parades or in drill practice with ROTC units across the U.S. Those rifles have been certified de-milled and incapable of loading...
  19. witchbottles

Weapons breakdown

Good friend of mine, Pfc William J. MacCaskill, USMC, (dec) - once told me "I got off Iwo still able to become vertical - that was good enough for me." (RIP, Bill.)
  20. witchbottles

Weapons breakdown

We like squids...... They are Uber drivers for us jarheads, and besides, they got a way of patching us up with their Corpsmen that make it so a "Doc" never buys a beer when there is a Marine in the room.... :)