Search results

1. rryeates

Manila SF5 No Safe Refuge errata?

Roger. Thanks. FYI with the random sewer arrival mechanic this is really going to be interesting. We are in turn three and he has gotten 3 RG groups. Makes you think about where you want the American sniper but also really going to drive how the Americans employ their forces. We are really...
  2. rryeates

Manila SF5 No Safe Refuge errata?

In the midst of this fur ball. Very interesting tactical situation with randomly appear reinforcements. A questions on SSR 3 of this scenario. First, Manila has SF SSR4 which modifies the sewer movement rules to state that sewer movement is usable by Japanese only if accompanied by a leader...
  3. rryeates

Red Factories CG I questions

Not sure how my picture changed but I will go with it. Going forward you can call me Grandy. Anyway, found this thread helpful and seems like deserves an official Q&A (I did not find this). I also think the Stuka RG should be considered for clarification as well. If I buy Stuka on RO can I...
  4. rryeates

BoF 20 Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Thanks Klas for the confirmation. We are going to give this one a whirl this weekend.
  5. rryeates

BoF 20 Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

I am trying to figure out if there is errata on this. Based on the board layout it feels like the Germans should enter from the EAST edge but the card says SOUTH edge. This very well may be correct as written, but since the on map Germans set up on or east of FF it just feel odds that they can...
  6. rryeates

Red Factories cover art.

Shirt or no shirt?
  7. rryeates

What boardgames have you played recently?

In the midst of Prague solo and via VASSAL and also have DAKII going via VASSAL. Festung Budafest CG II is set up awaiting the Russian onslaught when my opponent is next available.
  8. rryeates

Hey Iowa Guys

maps Mark, You assume we watch these boards...not so much. Probably too late at this point.. Best bet may be Aslok.
  9. rryeates

Ponyri

Progress Sounds like your making progress. This is great. Looking forward to playing this one down the road.
  10. rryeates

ABTF GOD SAVE THE KING turns 4-7 (and end game)

Played this a couple weeks ago. I agree that the British defense is challenging. Some of how this will go depends on exactly where and when the Germans enter some of their KGs, but you are right; the British need to find a place to hunker down because the Germans are coming. Hope your doing...
  11. rryeates

Designer Tips

What I like I am a big fan of combined arms with about a company+ of infantry to a side. I like toys too. FTs, DCs, OBA, Air Support, the like. I like my scenarios a little of the beefy side. I am less enamored with scenarios with a lot of defensive overhead (lots of forts, caves, etc), but...
  12. rryeates

Blood Reef:Tarawa CG Strategy

CA Yea, you saw it somewhere. At least 1 hex of the CA has to be a beach hex. NRBH but this is somewhere. There are a few crafty hexes where you can satisfy this and have the CA actually co back towards where the Marines are actually landing.
  13. rryeates

Blood Reef:Tarawa CG Strategy

Night Banzi If you have inflicted lots of CVP on his run in (which you will) and his set up area is fairly limited you should seriously consider the night Banzi option the first night. In one playing I used this. I lost most of my forces, but my opponent could only lose another 25 CVP or so...
  14. rryeates

Which direction for publishers

Stalingrad. Did someone say Stalingrad? Bring it on baby!
  15. rryeates

Tarawa CGs- Which One?

Tarawa CG Well I have played the two landing CGs (the big one 3 times). Have not played the remaining one. Had a blast every time. I'd go for the big one, but, if you have ruled it out, you probably can't go wrong with either. There is nothing like bringing those LVTs into the zone of fire...
  16. rryeates

AT Guns in ASL - Why so tough??

AT Gun effectiveness I'll start off with saying I do not have a probel with the AT gun/Tank model in ASL. I am no expert in this area. A couple comments though: Similar to Jeff, I have read accounts where a primarily tank force has dealt with a fair number of AT assests with only minimal...
  17. rryeates

maps - your comments welcome

Maps/HASL Don, On the maps/boards more is always good. Last fall I worked up a bunch of east front scenarios. I looked through the boards and collected those that could work for southern Russia. I think I did about 12-16 scenarios depicting a variety of actions. I found that I was forced...
  18. rryeates

questions/comments about artillery

Artillery in ASL For many smaller to medium scenarios (especially those representing fairly fluid situations) I think the existing OBA rules are fine. Pretty simple and lots of potential for good or bad. I have read enough detailed campaign accounts to find a tremendous number of occurrances...
  19. rryeates

Your favorite HASL/CG

Favorite CG My favorite has to be RB. Coming in a close second would be BRT. I like 'em big. Size does matter. I also really like the OVHS CG. The bigger the better. I have played all of the AH/MMP CGs and I have to say there is really not one I did not enjoy. Probably my least favorite...
  20. rryeates

Journal 4

As far as what I like in a scenario the time of the war is not as important as a combined arms force. Give me a few vehicles, a couple guns, and some infantry with a splash of OBA/Air support and I'm ready to rock. Mid size. Esoteric stuff is of less interest to me. Give me something with...