Search results

1. skarper

StME 5-3-7 Sturm troops

I just spent about an hour or so trying to draft a quick summary and I can't do it! Rather than dump pages into this thread when many would not be interested I invite any who are to PM me with an email address and request and I'll send a pdf that explains my thinking. I can also link to a blog...
  2. skarper

StME 5-3-7 Sturm troops

OK - I will post a summary tomorrow...
  3. skarper

StME 5-3-7 Sturm troops

I do - but not sure people on here really care.... I'm happy to share my ideas - I have my own ASL style game with FP, Range etc more consistent with what we now know from KsTN etc.. If I don't get any no votes I will lay out what I have been using and the whys and wherefores tomorrow....
  4. skarper

StME 5-3-7 Sturm troops

Sadly, the ASL infantry numbers were never revised in the way the armour ratings were. Basically, they are arbitrary and based on prejudice. A few seem to work out - Soviet 6-2-8s and 5-2-7s.... Pretty much everything else is wrong. Is it too late now?? Probably.
  5. skarper

#95 Sainte-Mère-Église

If Toby does not play on VASSAL could he provide commentary on a logfile?
  6. skarper

#95 Sainte-Mère-Église

A snag is the natural modesty of many expert ASLers might cause them to recuse themselves....
  7. skarper

#95 Sainte-Mère-Église

Suggestion for a future show - have the hosts play a scenario and comment on the log file [like here] then have two top players do the same - could even have two relative newbies do the same. It would provide insight into how the game changes at different levels of expertise. Not maligning the...
  8. skarper

Have designers given up on portraying the Russians in WW-II?

Quite an interesting thread. It must be remembered that SL was based on a very limited understanding of what WW2 combat was like. They didn't even get the FP and Ranges correct and just made them up. Same with the leader ratios. It produced results that were fun at the time and we hark back to...
  9. skarper

Two Things About IR92

That's very true. Part of the mark of a great player is to make it look easy.... Do you think the play style has changed and impacted the play balance of this scenario? By 'easily' I meant there was a significant margin at the end and not that the player did not have to play well to achieve...
  10. skarper

Two Things About IR92

There was a series replay of this scenario in a General way back when... Soviets won easily IIRC. A huge stack with all the MGs in a hard to hit rear hex [E1?] of the big building proved a very tough nut to crack. I do tend to agree with the hypothesis that play style has changed and the...
  11. skarper

#69: An Interview with Chuck Hammond (half of HazMo)

I think it's the pound that is weak - the dollar is weak too just not as weak as the pound....
  12. skarper

#66 Five-Oh-Sink

Pillboxes are generally used to provide enfilade fire across the anticipated enemy axis of advance. MGs usually set up for enfilade fire. Fire lanes in ASL sort of do this but do not get their full due in this regard.
  13. skarper

#63: Toby Pilling Interview

Did you guys get the LATW HEAT vs infantry correct - NRBH but I thought the target had to be in a building, behind wall/bocage AND only one unit was hit...I could be wrong of course,
  14. skarper

#62 - Cibik's Ridge

Do people think errors in the rules for mortars in Bamboo and jungle could account for some US wins? Is there a case for a rules notes section that would remind people of such obscure rules that could swing a scenario?
  15. skarper

#62 - Cibik's Ridge

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/relearning-japanese-part-2-cibiks-ridge-asl-67.150031/ This thread has an AAR of a Marine win. I think, given the number of high ROF weapons the US have and the close range of combat the scenario is going to be dicey. If you don't kill the...
  16. skarper

#52: Fighting Withdrawal: Live

I watched this all the way thru and enjoyed it. There were a fair few rules errors but such are inevitable. Personally, I dislike how SAN works. It could have robbed the Finns of an earned victory by an unlucky break. However, it's part of the game and good players will allow for it. Back when...
  17. skarper

Home Rule to regulate skulking

I fixed skulking in my rules that are the same scale/level as ASL. Effectively there is no defensive final fire AFTER movement. But you can return fire on any unit that PREP FIRES immediately. So, if a defending unit keeps it's heads down and does nothing to draw fire, it cannot be fired upon...
  18. skarper

M2 60mm Mortar ammo availability dates.

Ah - I knew there was a way but could not find it. I downloaded VASL just to check but have deleted it now - I never play ASL now.
  19. skarper

Much appreciated. Thanks. I did look in VASL but it did not have the ammo info on the reverse of the counters.
  20. skarper

Hi - No rule book any more - I did own one long ago but it has passed out of my hands now. I understand the M2 60mm could fire HE, WP and IR during WW2 - but only HE was available in Normandy. When did the WP and IR become available? I know it's on the back of the counter but I don't have them...