Search results

1. Adrian Carter

DB077 Speed Shock & Surprise AAR

My regular gaming buddy and I made an ASL New Year’s resolution for 2024 to learn more of the ASL rulebook by attempting scenarios that use sections of the rules that we were not normally familiar with. Thus, we decided to play an Air Drop scenario and picked DB077 Speed, Shock & Surprise by Tom...
  2. Adrian Carter

AP195 Break in on Rollbahn A AAR

It’s December in Northwest Europe and we’ve already had some snow so we decided to play a winter scenario from the new Oktoberfest Action Pack, namely AP195 Break in on Rollbahn A. The scenario depicts the attack by elements of the SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25, SS-Panzer-Division 12...
  3. Adrian Carter

BFP-52 Kachin Rangers AAR

For our next scenario we moved to the dense jungles Burma. We chose BFP-52 Kachin Rangers from the Blood and Jungle pack published by Bounding Fire Publications. The scenario is set in Burma on the Tingkrung Hka Trail, 15 March 1944. Elements of the 1st Battalion 5307th Composite Unit, also...
  4. Adrian Carter

Question about VASL, passwords and accessing concealed counters

Just recently, I had a major systems crash on my computer and had to reinstall Windows, thereby losing all programs) including VASSAL and VASL. After reinstalling everything I was in the middle of a campaign game and cannot now see my own concealed counters. I couldn't remember the exact...
  5. Adrian Carter

Campaign Game Sparrow Force Day 1 Flying Samurai AAR

We decided to take the plunge and play the Sparrow Force campaign game (CG) from the excellent ASL Journal #14 from Andy Rogers and the team down under. It appeared to be a lighter entry into the joys of campaign games consisting of three related scenarios. The extent of the win in the first...
  6. Adrian Carter

J242 Courage of Cowan AAR

My final VASL league game for this year was against Camille and we plumped for J242 Courage of Cowan from the excellent new ASL Journal #14. The scenario depicts an attack by elements of the SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25, supported by a company of three Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyers, all...
  7. Adrian Carter

J243 Sore Thumbs AAR

The next game in our Magnificent Seven series from ASL Journal #14 was J243 Sore Thumbs. This scenario depicted the counterattack by elements of the 17th Armoured Infantry Battalion on the village of Offendorf in Alsace defended by elements of the 2. SS-Polizei-Regiment following Operation...
  8. Adrian Carter

J239 Shoot or Shovel AAR

As promised, Johan and I moved to the jungles of New Britain for our next game in the Magnificent Seven series from ASL Journal #14. We picked J239 Shoot or Shovel designed by the indomitable Andy Rogers. The scenario depicts the defence on the left flank near to Cape Eboshi, New Britain by the...
  9. Adrian Carter

J237 Commandos at Kaiapit AAR

For our next game from The Magnificent Seven series in ASL Journal #14 we moved to the jungles of New Guinea by choosing J237 Commandos at Kaiapit. The scenario depicts the attack of the Australian 2/6th Independent Company on the village of Kaiapit. Their aim is to clear elements of the...
  10. Adrian Carter

J227 Another Frustrating Day AAR

After my regular gaming buddy and I received our copies of the new ASL Journal #14 in Belgium and Germany, respectively, from Hexasim in Annecy, France (kudos for their excellent on-line service) we decided to work our way through some of the scenarios listed in the section entitled The...
  11. Adrian Carter

J41 By Ourselves AAR

Sebastiano and I played the scenario J41 By Ourselves for our VASLeague game. We chose this one because it appeared to be short and balanced, and neither of us had played it before. Before we logged our game, ROAR showed 150 German wins versus 127 Norwegian wins. The action took place in...
  12. Adrian Carter

SM3 The Roadblock AAR

We wanted to sharpen our skills with bocage and therefore decided to try another scenario from MMPs historical module Drop Zone: Sainte-Mère-Église. This time we chose SM3 The Roadblock, a revised version on the new map of the original scenario number 18 from the out-of-print Paratrooper module...
  13. Adrian Carter

SM2 Seldom Practical AAR

We’d both been itching to play something from the new historical module entitled Dropzone: Saint‑Mère‑Église from MMP that we had both purchased and were patiently waiting for the VASL maps which became available quickly. Kudos to everyone involved in that. We picked SM2 Seldom Practical and...
  14. Adrian Carter

RPT58 Sikh Defiance AAR

Tuomo and I chose RPT 58 Sikh Defiance designed by Hugh Downing for game in the VASLeague . The scenario depicts the defence of the village Onferno in Italy on 12 September 1944 by the 2nd Royal Battalion of the 11th Sikh Regiment supported by tanks of the 6th Royal Tank Regiment against the...
  15. Adrian Carter

STL12 What Doesn’t Kill You AAR

We decided to continue our battles in Burma with another scenario from the China-India-Burma: The Lost Theatre pack published by the St. Louis ASL Club. We chose the scenario STL12 What Doesn’t Kill you which depicted the attack of the 113th National Chinese (GMD) Regiment supported by the...
  16. Adrian Carter

STL2 Nothing Ventured AAR

For our next game we moved from the ruins of Stalingrad to the jungles of Burma. I was fortunate enough to have purchased a copy of the historical magazine China-Burma-India: The Lost Theatre by The St. Louis ASL Club several years ago but had not got around to playing any scenarios from this...
  17. Adrian Carter

RB3 Bread Factory #2 AAR

We decided to have some more ASL fun in Stalingrad and move onto RB3 Bread Factory #2. This scenario is set just south of the Barrikady in Stalingrad on 25 Oktober 1942. Elements of the German 64. Kradschützen-Batallion and the 103. Panzergrenadier-Regiment are attempting to take Bread Factory...
  18. Adrian Carter

RB6 Turned Away AAR

I had never played a Red Factories’ scenario before so I thought it was about time I did. We plumped for RB6 Turned Away. The action was set in the southeast of the Barrikady on 15 November 1942. A Sturmgruppe of the German 79. Infanterie-Division attacked elements of the Russian 344th and 650th...
  19. Adrian Carter

J63 Silesian Interlude AAR

For our next scenario we decided to play J63 Silesian Interlude, a popular scenario from Journal #3. Before logging our game ROAR indicated 138 Russian wins versus 128 German wins. Thus the scenario appeared popular and balanced. The action took place in Upper Silesia on 19 March 1945 and...
  20. Adrian Carter

AP149 Lions and Tin Men AAR

We decided to stay in Norway and play another scenario from AP15 Swedish Volunteers, namely AP149 Lions and Tin Men. This scenario depicted the attempts of a mixed band of Norwegian and Swedish soldiers from the Hjemmefronten to defend the Röros district in central Norway from elements of the...