Search results

1. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War Personal Game AAR

Went 1-1 on the weekend, beating Tom Cvetinovich, losing to eventual champ Jim Taylor. I don't remember much about my match with Tom, other than I held him off with a solid defense and an unmerciful dicing (I rolled one 11, three 10s, and a whole shitload of 3s, 4s, and 5s ... using precision...
  2. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War 2019 ... the end of an era

For 16 of the last 17 years, I have presided (though that is too imperious a term) over the ASL event at the Winter War Gaming Convention. We've braved ice storms the week before the event, brutally-cold temps outside, the year the event was held in a dinner-theater, three venue changes (this...
  3. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War 20 results

Three intrepid souls made their way to Champaign for this year's event. The following are the results: ROUND 1 Brien Martin def. Tom Cvetinovich Jim Taylor def. Craig Walters ROUND 2 Jim Taylor def. Brien Martin Tom Cvetinovich def. Craig Walters ROUND 3 Jim Taylor def. Tom Cvetinovich Craig...
  4. Brien Martin

Important news about ASL at Winter War 2018

This came across my FB news feed just today, I'm working with the con committee on the actual logistics, which are still being worked on ... for now, this will give a heads-up on the likely new location. I have put forth our needs with the committee so that the best possible location for the...
  5. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War 2017 Results

A fairly nice weekend greeted the ten attendees for the 19th edition of the ASL event at the Winter War Gaming Convention. Though it was the smallest group since the inaugural event in 1999, everyone seemed to be having a good time and, when it was over, Jim Taylor had, for the seventh time...
  6. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War Registration Now Open!

http://www.winterwar.org/registration The link will take you to the page where you can register ... the pre-reg price hasn't changed in, like, forever ... $25 ... just click the ASL Weekend radio button to register!! Brien
  7. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War Scenario List

Once again, thanks to Scott Holst for putting this list together.
  8. Brien Martin

ASL at Winter War 2017

Good morning, everyone! And a Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating the holiday this coming week! A bit late in announcing this, but we're on again for the 2017 edition of ASL at Winter War ... here are the details: WHEN: January 27-29, 2017 WHERE: Hawthorn Suites Hotel, Champaign...
  9. Brien Martin

If we're talking design ...

... I'd love to see discussion on the "how" of it all. Mark's book was nice, but what I really wanted from that compendium, and what fell short for me, is a discussion on how you determine the troop quality and type. We often see things like, "Well, the fallschirmjager platoon of a typical...