Search results

1. G

Portable/Transportable Bomb: size & casualty radius

Looks good Rob. I haven't been on Game squad in about a year. Nice to see some new posts!
  2. G

NATO vs WP circa 1978

Well Bernie and I are going to try a smaller force on Map 542. I left out some of the trucks w/HMG to bring the total points down to 17,000 for Blue. With the lower troop density there should be more maneuvering.
  3. G

NATO vs WP circa 1978

Dennis and I played this game in Feb of 2007. It's the single biggest game I've ever played and I enjoyed it immensely. Blue Commander's AAR: NATO vs WP circa 1978-79 Custom Scenario US Army, Map 540 - PBEM, January - March 2007 [Game notes: Chance of new artillery ammunition, new...
  4. G

Portable/Transportable Bomb: size & casualty radius

The attached MS Excel file is my best guess. Unfortunately, real data for US weapons comes from a computer program now days that replaced the Joint Munitions Effects Tables which where themselves classified. Not only is ANFO only about half as energetic as TNT, etc. It aslo has a much...
  5. G

Tons of info on the Current British Army

An Australian gent, G. A. Mackinlay, posted a link on Armchair General to a free pdf version of his self published book, "A Moment In Time - THE BRITISH ARMY AT A MOMENT IN TIME - 1 JULY 2007 A LOOK AT AND FROM IT OF THE MAKEUP OF THE REGULAR AND TERRITORIAL ARMY The free pdf doesn't...
  6. G

Task Force Fenwick

It's a standard factory scenario that comes with the game.
  7. G

Other places to find user created scenarios?

You can check out TacOpsHQ [a player site] at http://tacopshq.com/index.html There is also some material on the download pages of this site. Enjoy!
  8. G

Force Versus Battalion Recon in Order of Battle

Thanks for the info. Side Note: Unfortunately you've arrived in the middle of the dreaded "summer dead zone". TacOps has been out for over a decade and we have a relatively "mature" user community. That means lots of commitments during the summer. Even the mailing list is nearly dormant...
  9. G

Two Questions Good point, some of the existing units are a little outdated. Questions: Do MARSOC teams have a similar mission profile to the old Force Recon? [Sneak and Peek?] Do the AU/NZ Recon Teams have the same special attributes in TacOps that the USMC Recon Team has?
  10. G

The Recon Team unit has been used to reflect small special ops teams in several multiplayer games. Seems to work pretty well as long as you keep with in their doctrinal use and only break cover to engage critical targets or for self defense. Scout teams work well as dismounted OPs and short...
  11. G

If you want to reflect a higher level of training for some reason that's fine. In my Army scenarios I only use the Recon Team unit when I'm depicting LRPS's, Rangers, or other more specialized troops. Otherwise I use the Scout Team unit which correctly reflects Army practice, especially in...
  12. G

The units are more than just differently armed. The Scout Team is basically a two man infantry section if I recall. No special properties, and that is about right per their usage in the Army. Because they belong to a battalion they don't normally get more than 5 - 10 kilometers away from back...
  13. G

Thoughts on Coding Orchards...

I've been using Woods Rough 1 as a reasonable value. Blocks LOS without slowing movement too much or providing too much cover.
  14. G

Rough Terrain

Thanks for the new link Peter. Another thought occurred to me while reviewing one of my own incomplete map projects. Most of the places you see a stream or river in temperate climates, you'll see a fair amount of trees and brush along the banks. IMO you can justify adding woods R1 or R2 to...
  15. G

CPX Planning Questions

As a player, how much time do spend planning for a CPX? On game day did it turn out to be enough? Do you usually have enough background information from the Umpire? [Things like supply situation, actions on your flanks, etc., not a complete OOB for your opponent! :cool:] Would more info...
  16. G

2007 Christmas Holiday CPX

Yes please?
  17. G

2007 Christmas Holiday CPX

Wow was that fun! I'm going to let my key board cool off a little while the umpire and commanders think up their AARs. In the meantime, I've uploaded a screen shot of the forces at EndEx with the Red Army operations overlay. Not great quality but I gives the idea.
  18. G

Defending the Lillypad

You can do that in a CPX thru the Umpire or hot-seat mode on one PC. If you use a factory scenario and enable umpire tools you can import the next planeload in solitare mode just as John described above. John's right, there is no automated way to do this in version 4. Another approach I was...
  19. G

Defending the Lillypad

I never throw anything away! :laugh:
  20. G

Defending the Lillypad

Attached is Mike Robel's Deployment planning work sheet [Full instructions are on sheet one]. It normally requires info about airfields and enroute deployment but you can probably ignore that and just use it to figure out movement of various parts of a medium brigade. I have a much larger...