Search results

1. Bill Kohler

AFV/Blazing Wreck Hindrances

For simplicity, assume . . . --The LOS is level and at the same height as the AFVs/Wrecks. --We are not dealing with Fire Lanes. --Each AFV/Wreck is in the LOS of both the firer and the target. --No AFV/Wreck is in bypass. --No AFV/Wreck would be subject to Case J if fired on by Ordnance. --No...
  2. Bill Kohler

F6.5 Hillock TEM - Who's "the target"?

F6.5 TEM: Non-PRC unit(s) may claim a +1 TEM (or HD status) vs Direct Fire that is traced across/along a hexside of a hillock as it enters their hex, provided that hillock hex’s topmost height along that LOF is a half-level higher than the elevation of the target and the LOF did not go over...
  3. Bill Kohler

A15.431 The target of a Berserk Charge during the 2nd MPh

A unit becomes Berserk. During its first MPh, the Berserker identifies a Location to charge and by the end of that first MPh (barring the discovery of any closer KEUs in the meantime) it will either have reached it or have failed to do so. At the start of its 2nd MPh (if it hasn't returned to...
  4. Bill Kohler

Firing at Roadblocks

B29.5 REMOVAL: . . . A roadblock can also be removed by any HE attack (including DC; see below) that results in a Final KIA against the roadblock. A Direct Fire ordnance attack vs a roadblock must use the Infantry (Other) Target Type or a SCW TH Table, adding the roadblock’s +2 TEM to the TH DR...
  5. Bill Kohler

Small Scenarios and Dice Luck

I have a rule of thumb that dice can give a noticeable boost to one player over the other in maybe one out of five playings. A first-class player can win regardless (but I'm not a first-class player). And conversely, a poor player can lose regardless (no comment). In my first game at WO'24, I...
  6. Bill Kohler

No Cellar Threat from VCA Changes in Buildings

At WO'24, I asked Perry two questions that came up in our games: Does an AFV already inside a building that changes VCA have a risk of falling into the Cellar? A: No. When a stack is taking a MC, and the leader HoBs to a better Leadership DRM, does the newer leadership modifier affect the MCs...
  7. Bill Kohler

Marsh Hindrance: Symbology or Hex?

With Crags and Orchards, the entire hex provides Hindrance: B.6 INHERENT TERRAIN: Certain terrain depictions (orchard, crag, graveyard, shellholes, etc.) and counter contents of a hex (SMOKE, Bridge, rubble, AFV, wreck) [EXC: Bypass AFV/Wreck (D9.4)] identify the entire hex (inclusive of...
  8. Bill Kohler

Lone SMC use of a Light Mortar

The Support Weapons Chart, under Lt. MTR, says 1C. And "C" says Any two SMC may fire at full effect. Footnotes D and M mention the +1 TH DRM for a Hero, but C says nothing either way. A21.13 says Two or more SMC may fire a crew-served weapon as a non-qualified MMC; a lone SMC may fire a...
  9. Bill Kohler

Do Ordnance Hits automatically cause DM?

10.62 DESPERATION MORALE (DM): DM is a condition which afflicts any unit during the Player Turn it breaks (even if it breaks voluntarily) or any already broken unit which is subsequently attacked by CC/WP, or enough FP (taking the possibility of cowering into account) to possibly inflict at...
  10. Bill Kohler

Is a HD unarmored vehicle subject to Immobilization?

I answered my own question, so no replies are needed, but I leave this post here in case anyone else wonders about the same question. --HD does not apply to non-Ordnance attacks, B9.36. --HD does not apply to Indirect Fire attacks, B9.34. --However HD can apply to Direct Fire Ordnance attacks...
  11. Bill Kohler

SMOKE Hindrances at the Same Range

A6.7 LOS HINDRANCE: ... Whenever a LOS crosses (or goes along the shared hexside of) two hexes that have the same range to the firer, however, only the LOS Hindrance of the hex with the highest applicable LOS Hindrance DRM is counted. Therefore, the number of hexes in which a LOS Hindrance...
  12. Bill Kohler

TCA Change MPs if in a Woods Obstacle

3.12 TURRET COVERED ARC (TCA): . . . The TCA may also change freely with each MP expended during the MPh. The TCA change must be announced as the MP are expended but can coincide with MP expended for movement, stop, start, or Delay purposes; i.e., the MP cost for a TCA change is not in addition...
  13. Bill Kohler

B31.12 - Narrow Streets

(1) Is the narrow street penalty for a failed TCA change (2 MP) meant as an addition to the normal cost of a TCA change (1 MP), or in lieu of it? (2) May a vehicle on a narrow street still attempt to change its TCA if it has insufficient MP to pay for a possible failure? (3) The turrets...
  14. Bill Kohler

Old Perry Sez on Mines in a Vehicular Entrance

From the v.31 of the Perry Sez collection: B28.53 & O5.2 Is it possible to place an AP minefield in a Factory non interior hex that has a paved road vehicular entrance (ex. Hex M39 in the RB map)? I’m not sure if those factory hexes are considered also paved road hexes. A. No; it is still a...
  15. Bill Kohler

Narrow Street TCA Changes

Ordinarily, while a vehicle is non-stopped, it can expend MP only for entering a new hex/hexside or for changing VCA. Delay MP are not allowed unless stopped. But while on a narrow street, TCA changes are not always successful (pending a subsequent dr) and will cost the vehicle 2 MP. How are...
  16. Bill Kohler

Infantry Target Type vs. Partially Armored AFVs

A Gun fires HE using the Infantry Target Type at a hex containing an enemy squad and an enemy partially armored AFV with an unarmored aspect facing toward the firer. (a) Can the partially armored AFV possibly be destroyed by the ITT shot? [C3.32 and C3.41 appear to say no; the Index, C7.11, and...
  17. Bill Kohler

MG Fire vs. Partially Armored AFVs

Fire Lanes (1) If a MG Fire Lane strikes a partially armored AFV in an unarmored facing, is the AFV treated as if unarmored? [I believe so. A9.51] (a) If the AFV is unarmored only in the turret, must some sort of Hit Location DR be made? [I believe no.] MG Fire (2) Per A9.6-.61, if a...
  18. Bill Kohler

TPBF vs. Partially Armored AFVs

If a partially armored AFV is subject to TPBF from its own hex, is the AFV susceptible to Small Arms fire on the ★ Vehicle line of the IFT? (Say from Berserkers at the same level as the AFV. Or do we quote the Index and say the AFV is not being "specifically attacked through a non-armored Target...
  19. Bill Kohler

Mopping Up Search Casualties

A12.154: If a Location that is Searched/Mopped-Up contains an armed Good Order unit/minefield/Residual FP/HE FFE Blast Area, or if the DEFENDER has any Booby Trap capability (B28.9), the DEFENDER may make one Casualty dr per Search dr in an effort to cause casualties to the searching/Mopping-Up...
  20. Bill Kohler

Underbelly Hits - Determining Front VCA

D4.3 UNDERBELLY HITS: As an AFV crosses a wall/bocage hexside (not via a road/breach) or exits a gully/stream, DEFENDING ordnance within six hexes of the hex being entered, at the same level as (or lower than) that hex, and within that AFV’s VCA (or “rear” VCA if the AFV is using Reverse...