Search results

1. D

YOU CAN'T HANDLE... Board 86

Makes sense - at least from that angle I suppose (leads one to ask where's the other, Gentile cemetery?) My point wasn't to nitpik so much as to point out that our boards should be as realistic looking as possible. Road network layout, building types and sizes, how terrain relates to each...
  2. D

Hmm. Could be. Still seems a bit of a stretch to me. In towns, I like seeing little dirt roads.
  3. D

Board 86 - I like it for the most part the strung out village. and hedges. Could work well for Normandy. you can use each half independently of the other - good flexibility But I'm not crazy about it for a few reasons: Buildings that have no roads leading to them - that isn't realistic -...
  4. D

What makes a good HASL?

Understood, but we already play the majority of our battles on geoboards, not complaining that they're not historical. HASLs require a lot of resources and are a big investment.
  5. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

Hey Chris, I've sketched a few fort-style city boards. Will find and post.
  6. D

After the Battle - Voronezh 1942

Hi Tom :) What about using a combination of geoboards and possibly small historical overlays to give it some flare, several scenarios and do a HSASL thing (like Op Watchtower)?
  7. D

What makes a good HASL?

A HASL, to be good, has to: have unique and ASL interesting terrain that can't be replicated using the standard boards have a decent CG that covers the terrain over multiple turns should appeal to a wide audience (ie. a Finnish HASL may not work well) so that it's economically viable and...
  8. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

Very cool, thanks Chris.
  9. D

After the Battle - Voronezh 1942

Could this become a HASL?
  10. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

I think we've jumped the shark.... sigh
  11. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

Carl, Sounds very cool - I'd be really interested in seeing the maps sometime. The 'Russian fence' thing - would like to hear about the SSR on that one. I've been substituting using Hedge artwork and rules for this very terrain type. Unfortunately, I needed to work within the existing rules -...
  12. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

Interesting idea.. Lots of possibilities.
  13. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

Same guy, different computer.
  14. D

Geoboards - ideas wanted

I'm sketching a number of ideas above (RR station, ravine, diagonal hills, other), but will not be able to post for about a week. Good stuff, and keep it coming :) Looking for PTO related ideas also. Seems we're pretty shallow there.
  15. D

Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

Tom and I have done a number of Russian village ideas that, if added to some of these cool looking balka boards, could be an interesting group of boards. 3-4 well done Russian looking boards, one at least with a very Russian looking village, could be nice. Any scenario guys out there?
  16. D

Vic Provost MIA Explained

Thanks, Tom for the update. All the best to you, Vic - you're needed out here!
  17. D

Slaughter at Ponri

Regarding fortifications and air-support in the Ponyri CG.. While the number of CG fortifications used in the original CG have been reduced, it wasn't by very much in the revised version. The main revision having to do with fortifications has more to do with expanding the Germans points of...
  18. D

Slaughter at Ponri

(sorry for the long-wind, but..) Regarding HASLs, choosing a good topic battlefield that is both depicted accurately as best as possible and which is likely to be a fun and interesting (ie. varied and challenging terrain) battlefield is key. Some HASLs fit that balanced description very well...
  19. D

Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

I'm a great fan of simplicity. SSR's, long-winded rules to define small matters, for me are distracting. I love to play ASL, but don't have much time to play or fuss with those kind of details. I'm getting older too - and the older I get the less fuss is wanted. Overloading these...