Search results

1. jwb3

Newb asks, What's up with bocage?

I'm fine with bocage. I do think the revised WA rules feel excessive, but I can only assume they were all put in to resolve problems other people had with the old ones. Having said that, bocage in ASL is not very "realistic" and does not penalize the attacker in some of the ways it...
  2. jwb3

What boardgames have you played recently?

On Saturday, another game of Continental Express (which I should add is a pretty simple filler game, nothing more... but also cheap and portable). Also two games of Between Two Cities, which I may or may not have mentioned before; each player is drafting city tiles to build two cities, one...
  3. jwb3

I also just played Codenames for the first time, on Saturday, and it was fun. A little light for my ideal, but a good party game without being too brainless. What else? Patchwork (2-player only, good), Category 5 (always a good filler), Continental Express (train game a bit like Ticket to...
  4. jwb3

Half Tracks and ASL

Okay, that's one understanding *totally* demolished! :) Good information (as always from you). Really? I had no idea they were that short. In fact, I always thought the US troops would have trouble seeing over the side of the M3. It seems my youthful collection of WWII models -- which...
  5. jwb3

Half Tracks and ASL

My understanding of the rationale was that it related to halftracks generally having firing ports for small arms. As well as giving a covered firing position, those would tend to provide the support you mentioned. Add it all up and you get that, overall, shooting at people from a stationary...
  6. jwb3

Battle of the Bulge, LEGO style

And remember, no Legos were harmed in the making of this movie!
  7. jwb3

I've never liked their maps either. The map for Hallowed Ground was relatively attractive compared to some of the OCS ones, and was certainly very "realistic" looking, topographically. But I never did figure out exactly how they intended us to play some of the resulting LOS situations and...
  8. jwb3

Comments based on This Hallowed Ground, the earlier version of G'burg: I agree that the C&C rules are a lot of the fun. I was always disappointed that they had so little meaning in the smaller more playable scenarios. Of course, one can argue that's what the monster scenarios are for, but...
  9. jwb3

What were the extras from the General?
  10. jwb3

I loved the Mahjong version that was part of the OS for some of the last-generation Windows versions. I was really kind of bummed to install Windows 8 and discover that it wasn't there. There are Mahjong apps in the App Store, but it wasn't just the game that I liked, it was the whole look and...
  11. jwb3

Playing Eclipse PBEM by VASSAL right now. Very nice module, mostly. What the heck is "sLander"? John
  12. jwb3

Played a game of Carcassone with an expansion, Inns and Cathedrals or something. Inns were interesting, cathedrals annoying. Then a game of Stone Age. After being behind all game I racked up a huge number of points from river cards (5 x 8 people, 4 x 9 food, 4 x 5 tools, etc.) but the leader...
  13. jwb3

A couple weeks ago some friends and I tried out two games new to us, the new version of Descent and the 4x game Eclipse. I never played the old Descent, partly because I gathered it was pretty long. The new version is a lot shorter; otherwise I can't compare them. Someone I talked to today...
  14. jwb3

Monthly games day for the Pittsburgh gaming club GASP, so I got to make up for lost time over Christmas with the following: Seven Wonders -- Tried a science strategy, handled it badly (only got six science cards), but technically won the game. I say "technically" because midway through the...
  15. jwb3

Played not a single game of anything (not including computer) since the Wednesday before Christmas. Ever since then it's been cleaning the house up so my relatives could come visit, only to have the visit cancelled due to illness, then turning out my nephew was coming anyway, and now that he's...
  16. jwb3

*sniff* We did? :cry: (Can you tell I'm not much of a sports fan? :D)
  17. jwb3

Yeah, Gulo Gulo was entertaining enough for the adults as. I'm glad to hear that other people found the D&D boardgames as uninspiring as I do. Bob really captures the feel of the game. I get the impression that each scenario is supposed to tweak things to make it a bit different (boss...
  18. jwb3

I got in a game of this a few weeks ago. I've never played the board game version. Not sure if I want to, as the card game seemed about the right level of rules for the occasion. Seems that way to me, too. However, I haven't had a chance to play it again since I first tried it months ago...
  19. jwb3

The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Well, they're not exactly "random" here either. Pretty much the bread and butter of the thread, anymore. :p
  20. jwb3

Me too. It barely qualifies as a game, to me. Yeah, the jokes are worth a chuckle, sometimes even more than once. But that's not enough to make it replayable... What do you think of it?