Search results

1. kempenfelter

Where's this going?

I've got a great idea! I'll fire up the Wayback machine and have a look at the scenarios from the dawn of ASL. Maybe there are some I could play Starter Kit style. "Fighting Withdrawal" might work, and it's reasonably balanced. Who needs Snipers, Blazes, and Ammunition Shortage?
  2. kempenfelter

Where's this going?

Played a SK scenario on Saturday and though I lost--on the game's last DR because I couldn't roll 7 or less--I had a good time. Part of that was the nature of the Starter Kit experience, i.e., not a lot or rules. SSRs added Concealment and a one-shot aerial attack, but by and large my opponent...
  3. kempenfelter

New England Volunteers ASLSK product release announcement Play Pack 2

Wondering about NEV9 Close Quarters, Russians vs. British vs. Germans, France 1940 There were Russian troops in France in 1940? And another question about the Pack, do the scenarios only feature leaders, squads, and SW?
  4. kempenfelter

Expansion Pack #3 Available from MMP

Interesting that Concealment is being extended to other Nationalities. Maybe a future expansion will introduce Snipers.
  5. kempenfelter

PTO and SK PTO

Can't remember specific rules queries, but I think we were checking and rechecking rules concerning the Japanese units and unit capabilities and PTO terrain. I mean, the rules are the same, and SK#4 does have well-written examples, but Chapter G has more detail. We played through the Starter...
  6. kempenfelter

PTO and SK PTO

I have been a fan of the Starter Kit system since it came out in the oughts. There are differences, but both SK and full ASL provide good gaming experiences. One thing I have found though is when it comes to the Pacific Theatre of Operations the SK way is not the way to go. A friend and I...
  7. kempenfelter

What Scenario Have You Played The Most?

S01 Retaking Vierville I've lost count of the number of times I've played it. Starter Kit is the ideal teaching tool, and this scenario has no support weapons, no Concealment, no Bypass, no SSRs.
  8. kempenfelter

Home Rule to regulate skulking

Using the IIFT makes me squeal like a pig...
  9. kempenfelter

Prokhorovka--will Starter Kit players be purchasing this?

Tell you what, you buy the module and I promise to work with you to create a Starter Kit ziploc. With 10 T-34s in Starter Kit #3 maybe a new counter sheet wouldn't be necessary.
  10. kempenfelter

Starter Kit #2 Bonus pack on pre-order

Okay, I'm a big fan of the Kits, and will buy this at some point, but isn't it a little ridiculous that in order to play all the Bonus Pack #2 scenarios one has to own SK #1 - #4 and both Expansion Packs? I can just imagine the conversation at HQ: "Yep, they're hooked, now all we have to do is...
  11. kempenfelter

Larry asked...

I still have my '87 ASLRB1, but the original binder is long gone. No page protectors, page hole protectors instead. I keep it in the bathroom to read while I'm "contemplating".
  12. kempenfelter

Ideas for Starter Kits?

As for expanding the scenario options, you could use the BPV of the units involved to swap out nationalities. I've never tried that, but it might work, with some adjustment.
  13. kempenfelter

ASLSK New Rule Wishlist

Rather than add rules players looking to up their game should check out the excellent Starter Kit Special Study scenario packs from Sherry Enterprises, available from Gamer's Armory, Rally Point Volume 2 and Volume 6. 10 scenarios per pack and all of them can be played with Starter Kit...
  14. kempenfelter

So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

S77 Dutch Trucks played fast though not in the fun way. The Dutch win as soon as they exit 15 VP, have 5 turns to make it happen and start the game with 8 AFV worth 5 points each. With a 3 ROF 37L AT gun I felt reasonably confident about stopping the dash for the board edge because the armor...
  15. kempenfelter

My ASL year in 2020

Played 16 games this year, all except one on VASL. Managed to win 6. Used to describe myself as an average ASL player. The numbers say below average.
  16. kempenfelter

S76 A Less Peaceful Christmas presented an interesting challenge to me as the Japanese. The Filipino force looks brittle(3-3-6s)but one part of the Victory Conditions--points are awarded for building control at the end of every game turn--puts the pressure on. The Japanese come from off board...
  17. kempenfelter

The start of Chinese Turn 4 and one more building gives him the game. In my Turn 3 a DC-totin' 8-0 leader charged a tank but a Wound slowed him to a walk. Took out one of the Vickers 6-tonners with the MMG and that was fortunate. Still, things were looking bleak. I was expecting a lot of...
  18. kempenfelter

Looking at the map at the end of Japanese Turn 2 of S75 They Always Returned and I think I've already lost it. Frightened by SSR 2 which gives the Chinese a 50% chance of a 12 firepower DFPh attack--to simulate air support--I had set up my AA gun to counter the threat. Which meant my most...
  19. kempenfelter

Rubble LOS

Playing WO34 Feast Day and a LOS question came up. The German squad moves to E9. Is it in LOS of the Sherman on the hill? Or does the Rubble along the D8/D9 hexside block LOS?