Search results

1. Toby Pilling

'Devils in the Woods' 20 years on

Many years ago I won at a tournament a copy of 'Devils in the Woods', a Battle of the Bulge HASL product from Critical Hit. I know that company doesn't have a very good reputation these days, but back then they had been publishing Ian Daglish's excellent All-American trilogy, and this product...
  2. Toby Pilling

BFF 2021 (Blackpool) Tournament AAR

I had a great time at the Bounding First Fire tournament in Blackpool last weekend, culminating in my reaching the final, where I just lost out to Ian Morris. I thought I'd pen a few lines regarding that final game and give some general thoughts on the tournament itself. The unusual aspect...
  3. Toby Pilling

My top ASL tip

I had some great fun contributing to the 'Illuminating Rounds' podcast episode 18. Want to hear my top tip to improve play? Tune in here! http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/illuminating-rounds-episode-18-master-class.157553/ Dave and Martin do a fantastic job and I wanted to...
  4. Toby Pilling

Final Fire & ROF

Say I have a squad, leader and HMG. In the movement phase, my opponent moves a unit adjacent to them and I First Fire the stack, leader directed. I keep ROF, so mark the squad as First Fired but don't mark the HMG. After the movement phase, in the Final Fire phase, I opt to fire the stack again...
  5. Toby Pilling

Bounding Fire Blackpool 19 AAR

Once again I had a great time at the Bounding Fire tournament, despite not winning this year. On Thursday afternoon, before the main tournament started I was able to play my old oppo, Neil Brunger. We had a go at the scenario donated by Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei for the Scratch Tournament...
  6. Toby Pilling

Task Force to Cotignac (DB080)

Part of the German set up says 'Set up on boards 10 and 17 south of row BB (inclusive)'. The problem is that both boards 10 and 17 have a hexrow BB. Should it actually read 'Set up on boards 10/17 south of row 17BB (inclusive)'? Basically they can set up anywhere on board 10 except not in or...
  7. Toby Pilling

Bounding First Fire Blackpool 2018 AAR

A week has passed and I’ve had time to compose my thoughts, so decided to write up a bit of a report on the first Bounding First Fire tournament that was recently held in Blackpool. Let me say at the outset that I thought it was superb: Martin and Simon were excellent hosts and there were...