Search results

1. gusi

Festung Budapest 14

We are preparing for a game of fb14 the narrow passage. I have a question about Hungarian of availability, I am not sure if the fb special rules supersede a25. ( I am the only player without the module) a25 has Hungarian pf availability at 1-2. C13 have general pf Availability a at 1-3 and A -1...
  2. gusi

Desert and AFV Questions

After a 6 month ASL hiatus we played Across the Wire yesterday. We both got HL recently, I hadn't played a desert scenario since code of Bushido came out (30+ years ago) and my opponent has never played them. Needless to say we hit a couple of snags, not all desert related. 1) non Platoon...
  3. gusi

Cannister

We are about to play Buckley's Block next week. I'd just like to clarify the Cannister rules as we have not used that very often. In the pic above there are 5 possible target vertices. I am assuming that you need LOS to one of the cluster hexes and not the vertex itself. If we shoot at: 1)...
  4. gusi

wall hexspine TEM and WA. Foxholes and hidden fortifications

This came up in a recent game: two squads are on the opposite sides of a wall hexspine and all other terrain is clear. a) Can both sides claim the +2 TEM? (yes) b) WA can only be claimed on a adjacent hexside. So it is not possible to claim WA on a hexspine? (no, not possible) I suspect I...
  5. gusi

Acquisition

We always struggle with Acquisition and Bracketing. A a target hex contains two locations a trench and a pillbox both are occupied by KEU. A gun shoots at the trench as ITT and gains a -2 small acquisition counter after two shots The defenders skulk away out of LOS during their MPh In the...
  6. gusi

Bunker: Pillbox and trench (multiple locations in the same hex)

I'd like to clarify my understanding of a pillbox (1+3+5) and a trench in the same hex According to 30.1; the pill box is one location, the units in and above the trench are a second location in the hex. Stacking 1a) 1 squad equivalent in the pillbox and 3 squad equivalents in and above the...
  7. gusi

Row House move

If a squad with 4 MF moves only 1 hex around the black bar from one rowhouse to the next rowhouse in the same building is it subject to FFNAM? B23.71 ”Such units moving/routing on the ground level expend three MF (one to “bypass” in the hex it is leaving where it would be attacked by any...
  8. gusi

Moving Target

I realised at our last tournament that my knowledge of the vehicle rules was less than average. My opponent had pointed me at Ole Boe's excellent "Stop and Go Traffic " in the Annual 96 a few years ago So I decided to give that another read. It includes a handy table with fire power modifiers...
  9. gusi

various

If a mmc with an optional usage PF is KIAed does it leave a PF counter in the hex? In vassal how do you mark up which units have an optional PF? If you label the unit won't that show up when concealed? Can an armour leader modify a to hit and an MG shot in the same turn? How do you check for...
  10. gusi

Routing Forward

We played Gavin Take today. The Germans set up in the road loop on board 3. The the Americans can run around them. A few American squads broke. because the Germans setup in the middle of the board the Americans could route towards the objective hex without getting closer to a known enemy unit...
  11. gusi

PF during defensive fire

I was reading C13.31 and came across this A unit may not make a PF Check in Subsequent First Fire or FPF (A8.3-.31)—regardless of whether it made a PF Check during First Fire. I have always played a using a PF as using a SW so if a squad has used its inherent firepower only during first fire...
  12. gusi

When to use the balance conditions

Not strictly a rules question but I was wondering when does everyone use the scenario balance conditions My opponent and I have picked up ASL again after a hiatus of a few years and now play 2 or 3 scenarios a month. We have picked scenarios that are close to 50 to 50 with over 30 plays on...
  13. gusi

MTR vs AFV

If a mortar fires at a hex containing a moving vehicle does case J apply? ie is the target the hex or the vehicle?
  14. gusi

Defensive Fire down a woods road

Defending a woods road We are about to play a scenario where the attacker has the option of travelling down a woods road with AFVs (AF <4), motor cycles and infantry laden trucks. The defender has MGs and a light MTR. I expect quite a few questions to come up. Here is my understanding of the...
  15. gusi

VBM and motion questions.

A couple of issues came up in our most recent game. 1)During a VBM how many times can a squad in the hex defend with Reaction Fire? a) once per MPh b) once per bypassing vehicle c) once per MP spend? d) other? Do you need a paatc for each attack or just once per turn or per vehicle. 2) If a...
  16. gusi

Dummies

Does anyone know if there are some good rules&strategy articles on concealment and dummies? With the release of the EASLRB and armed with vassal and a 40" monitor I have been getting back into ASL after many years. (And yes I do have many/most official cardboard modules as well). My game play...