Search results

1. chris_olden

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

"Collect Call" from the latest Journal. A neat little puzzle, and a fun scenario.
  2. chris_olden

Weapons we like to see in ASL

Hungarian rocket launcher; used around Budapest in the Fall of '44.
  3. chris_olden

New ASL Journal on the way....

When H.P. got underway, the "Finnish Guys" requested I submit "One Story Town" for inclusion in H.P., since it was an action that wasn't covered by any of their scenarios. I don't know why it wasn't included. I'm pleased to finally see it as an official scenario.
  4. chris_olden

New ASL Journal on the way....

Hey Tom, you betcha! It's the scenario that spawned the "Finns armed only with sporks" story, as told by Roger Foss(R.I.P. The Raj). I'm happy to see it become an official scenario.
  5. chris_olden

Factory battles?

"War In The Ruins" by Longacre, has an account of the Americans and Germans duking it out in factories.
  6. chris_olden

Factory battles?

Pete, I wanna say there was a factory battle at Kharkov in '43.(I might be mis-remembering...)
  7. chris_olden

The Citadel. The Russian Balance.

Yeah. So, two of the cupolas are ok, and the one in J5 needs to be elsewhere. Like I said, it's been 20+ years! However, that was a big part of Sam's set up. It worked great.
  8. chris_olden

I think this, or something similar, is how Sam set up his Armored Cupolas to prevent the Germans, who occupy the Victory Building at Game Start, from ever gaining concealment, and severely limiting rout paths. (Granted, it's been 20+years, so my memory is a little foggy.)
  9. chris_olden

The Victory Building is not a rowhouse. The SSR means that "all multi-hex buildings" have only a Ground Level and a 1st Level. But that does not automatically make them rowhouses.
  10. chris_olden

The way Sam set up the Russians, the German units in the Victory building never have/gain concealment. It was a really well thought out set up.
  11. chris_olden

The Russian player sets up his fortifications around the victory building. Which, with units in them, prevents the German defenders from ever gaining concealment, and cutting their rout choices, making it MUCH easier for the Russians to take the victory building early in the game. Sam used...
  12. chris_olden

The patented "Sam Belcher Defense"(RIP Sam, we miss ya!) used by the Russian player, is as close to a "sure thing" as I've ever seen in an ASL scenario.
  13. chris_olden

Russians don't need the balance.
  14. chris_olden

What are your ASL scenario plans this week?

research and design work.👽
  15. chris_olden

Home Rule to regulate skulking

Just no.
  16. chris_olden

ASL Slang

"snoogie woofer"
  17. chris_olden

Maximum ROF limits

If you believe that, purchase real precision dice. https://www.gammonvillage.com/backgammon-shop/backgammon-accessories/backgammon-precision-dice/ I began using these dice after a particularly awful string of "bad luck" DRs during a tournament in 2000. I stopped worrying about the dice, and...
  18. chris_olden

Has anyone ever designed a scenario with Finns vs...

Tip of the tail of the end of the war in Europe. Hungarian S.S. formation was basically just a "roadblock" to the Americans. The Hungarians, from the info I've been able to dig up, did knock out a couple of American vehicles with panzerfausts, and put up decent resistance, but were overrun and...
  19. chris_olden

Actually, yes it did. 👍
  20. chris_olden

Now, Americans vs Hungarians...🆒