Search results

1. kcole4001

CdG - Really Dinant HASL + bonus material?

Same here, I already had CdeG from the original print run, so the only reason I bought it was to get Dinant. They had me at the interesting HASL part of the sales pitch. The extra French counters will come in handy for Dinant & Green Hell of Inor. The only downside was having to completely...
  2. kcole4001

Map board storage??

Nice choice! I don't transport mine and keep them in the empty game boxes (my maps are a mix of mounted and unmounted), but if I did have to travel with them that folio would be my preference. I had made a large folio to house all the HASL maps (laminated), but it's not quite rigid enough to...
  3. kcole4001

What is allowed and not allowed?

Unplaytested of course, but the black on black counters are expected to be the most sought after in all of the SL/ASL world. :D
  4. kcole4001

Which nationality has the most authentic " flavor "

It's kinda tough to judge authenticity, we're still learning history from recently unclassified material. That said, my vote would be for the Japanese due to the step reduction and all the unique things they implemented.
  5. kcole4001

You Probably Shouldn't, But You Do Anyway

Nothing wrong with that at all! 👍:)
  6. kcole4001

For me: 30 years ago, sure. We used to do Friday game nights after work, fairly often these went until 9 am Saturday (Battletech, D&D, Shadowrun, etc.). Now, no way, I'd be punchy by 5 or 6, and have to sleep the rest of the day.
  7. kcole4001

What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

I've found I can manage up to 3 sheets per day at most,, then my fingers get sore. (using the C4 clipper - usually while listening to Critical Role or Two Half squads episodes) Ehh, 'could have waited' ... I have said just those words back in the 1990s and missed out only to eventually pay...
  8. kcole4001

I've actually had quite good luck with ESB, and won a scenario by using it once many years ago (T-34/M41 if I remember correctly). I don't do it a lot but if the opportunity presents itself and a success means a major problem for the opponent, I let 'er fly. I've also stranded a tank in the back...
  9. kcole4001

Using 'Personal Leaders' back in the SL days the big merit points target was CCing a tank. Never worked, not once and the casualty list was very long...so many dead leaders. 💀 It was much safer to hang back and rally to accrue points, but where's the glamour (or fun) in that? 🆒
  10. kcole4001

Doomed Battalions 3rd ed vs Kampfgruppe Peiper I&II

Very much agreed. I love a good HASL, but just didn't get on with KGP's vibe at all. And Panthers, I'll take 'em any day, but using Panthers in restrictive terrain or low visibility is like using vice grips in place of tweezers. Yep, that sums it up. Of course for someone who really loves...
  11. kcole4001

ASLSK2/3 or just go full ASL?

Oh yeah! I also have quite a bit of music gear which cost me far more than I've spent on games, and even that is less than others spend on their pastimes. I also point out that if it's all stuff you keep and use regularly, the per day cost diminishes significantly. It's all in how you look at it.
  12. kcole4001

If the situation arises where the household financial officer catches on to your expenditures: always, always, ALWAYS point out just how much other pastimes (golf, motorcycles, boats, old cars, etc.) can cost compared to what you spent on ASL. Then add the fact that she'll know exactly where you...
  13. kcole4001

I think it will depend mainly on how you realize and retain information the easiest. Judging by the engineering background, I'd say full ASL shouldn't be too much to take on. There will still be a learning curve, but you're likely very well equipped to handle that. Like many things, learning the...
  14. kcole4001

Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

And I thought that one of the benefits of the EU was no need for inter-EU travel documents...or are they only required for travel outside the EU? ======================== On topic: I was sorting scenarios, replacing old ones, and putting them into their appropriate binders when I came across...
  15. kcole4001

Deluxe ASL

I haven't done any 3D maps, though I've always been intrigued by them I've never had the room to store larger ones,. I think I recall seeing a 3D KGP map some years ago. 😲
  16. kcole4001

Deluxe ASL

I bought platoon of T-34/76 and Panthers over 30 years ago, painted 'em and used the T-34s once. It would have been too expensive at the time to continue further, even though there were company strength armour units listed for a reasonable cost at the time (around $32 if I remember correctly)...
  17. kcole4001

Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Upgraded my French inf + SW from a 3600 to a 3700, finished punching the last two sheets from Inor. Now I just have to print a big flag to cover the pre-engraving on the top of the plano.
  18. kcole4001

Battle Hardening Choice

Definitely the 8-0 to an 8-1 over anything else under the circumstances, since it's potentially going to apply to many units' morale than just the leader's personal morale. I'd even prefer it over upgrading a 9-1 to a 9-2 given the choice between the two, reason being it's better to have...
  19. kcole4001

Apparently one third of all ASL players play solo the most.

It's odd, I have noticed that the scenario attacker (which I tend to favour because I generally feel they have the more interesting role) always has the absolute worst dice rolls of any game I've played. That doesn't happen when playing ftf, or if it does usually we both have equally crappy...
  20. kcole4001

Apparently one third of all ASL players play solo the most.

Keep checking the various second hand marketplaces, I got lucky and scored a SASL 2nd Ed. SASL has a very different different feel compared to regular solo play, both are rewarding. There is even a SASL RB campaign setup I have yet to try. I'm currently doing a SASL personal leader campaign...