Search results

1. sunoftzu

Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

Euan and I got BD-005 "Ultimate Insult" kicked off this morning. This is a tricky looking scenario for both sides, as the Japanese are counterattacking through Mud (E3.6) (and Mist (E3.32) for the first 2 turns). Not the most ideal start for the USMC, as they lose their 9-2 leader to the SAN...
  2. sunoftzu

Euan and I finished our playing of BD-004 "Thicker Than Flies" this morning. In the last session, I though that I'd done a decent job of assembling the Japanese into a good position to counterattack Sugar Loaf Hill, only to watch them crumble on the west flank. However, I struck some white hot...
  3. sunoftzu

Euan and I got another 1.5 turns of BD-005 "Thicker Than Flies" completed this morning. There was a lot of intense action, and by the end of it, the Japanese had nearly been wiped out on the the west side of Sugar Loaf Hill. However, thanks to a THH burning the abandoned, immobilized LVT4 'hulk'...
  4. sunoftzu

Last Sunday morning, Euan and I got another 1.5 turns completed of BD-004 "Thicker Than Flies". Both sides are pretty much playing it cautious, as they build up their strength for their final assaults. In most ways, it was quite a good session for my Japanese. After having a 448 squad halved...
  5. sunoftzu

Euan ad I got BD-004 "Thicker Than Flies" started this morning, and got 1.5 turns completed. The Americans and Japanese are both playing cat and mouse with each other, and in turn 2, the LVT immobilized on the SE face of Sugar Loaf Hill. The Japanese have to wait until turns 3 and 4 for their...
  6. sunoftzu

Euan and I just finished our 3rd "Bitterest Day" (playtest) scenario BD-003 "Western Anchor". The game was in the balance, with my Marines wobbling at times, but doing just enough to make the VC prospects plausible. But in turn 5, the 81 Mtr dropped 4 WP counters on Japanese positions, which...
  7. sunoftzu

Yesterday morning, Euan and I took our playing of BD-003 "Western Anchor" to the PFPh of American turn 6. At the start of the session, it was looking like the Marines had only a slim chance of infiltrating Sugar Loaf Hill, but thanks to a run of WPs being landed by the 81*Mtr, and some woeful...
  8. sunoftzu

Yesterday, Euan and I took our scenario of BD-003 "Western Anchor" to IJA turn 4. Progress almost seems like a contradiction, but in spite of too many things not going the way of the USMC, they do control 3+ hexes of Hill 1, and if they can continue to crawl towards Sugar Loaf Hill, they will...
  9. sunoftzu

I could see this being combined with Kakazu Ridge, although that would require the standardizing of some of the rules (you can't have 2 sets of rules for Debris, Spigot Mortars, etc). Add in half a counter sheet to cover the Spigot Mortar Caves, Assault Engineers, and a few extras for the CG.
  10. sunoftzu

I just did a PT Double-Header this morning...... Firstly, Euan and I finished off BD-002 "Limited Gains", with Euan's Marines grabbing control (of the required) 6 level 3 or higher locations, and destroying a key cave on Hill 1 during their turn 6. In Japanese turn 6, my Japanese were not...
  11. sunoftzu

Hill 621 scenario on 3D boards

or popcorn if they happen to be cornfields....
  12. sunoftzu

Last Sunday, Euan and I took our playing of BD-002 to the end of turn 5. Both sides had opportunities to hit the other hard and impose themselves on the game, but the majority of attacks in the session were pretty benign. The Americans are gathering forces on both sides of the Japanese. It'll be...
  13. sunoftzu

An SSR making ESB NA would do the trick.....
  14. sunoftzu

2 turns of BD-04 done with Jon. Both sides are being cautious, being careful not to suffer attrition before their reinforcements arrive. I am rolling 12s left and right, but other than losing half of my 668s to boxcars, nothing that spoils the game. Losses for both sides pretty even.
  15. sunoftzu

Jon and I finished our game of BD-003 "Western Anchor" this morning (evening for him). Initially, the Marines got cut up pretty bad in the opening turns, but 2 key caves and their contents were destroyed by well placed satchel charges nonetheless. As a result, the Marines were able to canter...
  16. sunoftzu

A cautious approach by both sides in the first 2 turns of BD-002 "Limited Gains". There are more Marines entering on turn 3, so the Japanese doesn't want to show too much of his hand early on, lest the Marines steal a march on them.......
  17. sunoftzu

Euan and I finished our playing of BD-001 "Opening Probe" this morning. I was optimistic of my chances at the start of turn 5. I felt I had assembled enough assets to control the 2 trenches and I just needed to control/destroy 1 cave. But the Japanese just keep passing their MCs, and I wasn't...
  18. sunoftzu

A tale of two seaborne evacuations

I played HS-09 quite a few years back with Tom Jackson. It was a lot of fun, but my Japanese definitely enjoyed the blessings of the dice gods - especially when I completely forgot about the American FB and tried a Banzai charge along the beach ...... pretty much without suffering a scratch !!!
  19. sunoftzu

2 more turns of BD-01 "Opening Probe" done. I've grabbed a trench (for now), and this gives the Marines a bit of initiative, as now the Japanese have to make tough choices as to whom to fire at. The Marine MCs have been a little patchy, but it was good of I15 to pass a 3MC (albeit pinned) when...
  20. sunoftzu

This is indeed an awesome product. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, I recommend cutting your teeth on Kakazu Ridge in the meantime.... ( that's good stuff, too - especially the Spigot Mortar Caves !!! ) John.