Search results

1. DWPetros

Board 77.

Would make sense. Looking at the actual photos of Hill 253.5, which are very hard to decipher, the hill was covered pretty much with grainfields. It wasn't even a hill per se, but instead a kind of escarpment sloping down at the south side - relatively flat at the northern approach by the...
  2. DWPetros

Board 77.

Weird. I was just doing a hill map with grain - designed for Kursk. Beat me to it..
  3. DWPetros

Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

Agree. We have too little of the open, 'in-between' terrain. Space is needed to compliment the forms (villages, hills, etc.) that are used for the goal.
  4. DWPetros

There's lots of reasons to do boards that resemble the Russian front. We don't have many now at all - and definitely not as many as warranted given the amount of fighting on the Eastern front. We're 'Russian poor'. The issue is about Russian terrain / ASL - the relatively more open spaces...
  5. DWPetros

I've hoped to see something like this for a long time - a village that looks like a real village in the WWII Soviet Union. Tom Repetti colorized this idea below. I've sketched several such - smaller geoboard type ideas. Currently doing some northern Kursk terrain. Hope to see it published...
  6. DWPetros

Geoboards - Boards 1,2,3,4 - 'Look Alike boards'

I think that special features (ie. airfields) which can be easily substituted with a decent sized overlay, should not be used. Keep it clean, as open as possible, and versatile. (how often has B14 airfield been used?) More importantly: Look-alike boards (ie. Boards 1,2,3,4 - maybe some few...
  7. DWPetros

In reply - Yes, I agree making new boards is best. ( i have about 300 of such sketches ). That said, such new boards require new scenarios which take time, and such releases (like an AP) are squeezed out roughly once a year - with 2 boards. Nice, but kind of stingy. New Z boards (ie. 1-4)...
  8. DWPetros

Thanks. As far as I know, only 2 boards; 10 and 17, have been 'Z'ed. Not sure if the intent here was to substitute these for the originals and to play original scenarios on them or not... These sketches are to be used with current (or future) scenarios. A production of these 'Z' boards...
  9. DWPetros

An idea. Given the frequency of usage of Boards 1-4, the idea is for MMP to produce new versions ('Z') of those boards. The idea would allow players to substitute those Look-alike boards for the original boards in existing published (and future) scenarios. The reason for this - those same...
  10. DWPetros

YOU CAN'T HANDLE... Board 86

Again, I like both boards 85 and 86 but can't help but comment about the little things that go into board design. Overall, they're IMO great additions to the system. Agreed that the off-center pods of terrain (villages / hills) give designers like Pete good ammunition for new scenarios -...
  11. DWPetros

Bridges - free graphics

Guys, I've attached some somewhat useful PDF of 'underlays' of Bridges that I made for myself, but thought some of you guys might want to cut and paste for yourself. I made them (and several other such things) for my own use - noticing that the normal Bridge counters, while functional, just...
  12. DWPetros

Laminating All Overlays?

I like instead color copied, enlarged (1.3 x ) maps, transferred to 11 x 17" heavy stock paper (each half map requires one such page), trimmed with Exacto blade, then placed underneath thin, non-glare plexiglass. Best approach in my opinion.
  13. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

I realize that there are terrain types; Slopes, Diers, etc. that technically would help create more realism. However, I personally stay away from them in my design (see upcoming Slaughter at Ponyri) because I don't like the attending complications. Interpreting these rules accurately...
  14. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

well, you asked for it Tom
  15. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

Also, there are many, many sketches of geomaps that would work. Here's one showing some Balka-like terrain.
  16. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

Here's something Tom Repetti and I worked together on - a Ukrainian village. The idea - to present the sort of terrain shown above in photos, which tries to show the broader, open, flat terrain with depressions seen in the Ukraine (based on aerial photos).
  17. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

Agreed that we must adapt tactics to the terrain. We've done that with the typical, springtime in France boards pretty handily, but have also for the more unique terrain types; desert for example. But I get what you mean - certain more accurate looking terrain can have limited terrain density...
  18. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

Footsteps, I like em! I like the Galmunche, St. Germain best - they seem most likely to lend themselves to other battles. Ortona to a degree, though B60 approximates this design. I think we're lacking in Eastern front locations - especially Ukrainian, but in general, most Russian front...
  19. DWPetros

Historical - geomaps

I've been thinking a lot about preparing 'historical geoboard' ideas and am soliciting feedback along that line. We already have a few of such geoboards; some fairly recent ones were designed with actual historical terrain in mind (the latest Fort board). The general concept - a battlefield...