Search results

1. kempenfelter

Ideas for Starter Kits?

Maybe Critical Hit will start producing Starter Kit compatible modules...
  2. kempenfelter

Ideas for Starter Kits?

Stoppen bitte...smiley face...smiley-gesicht... More scenarios, more counters--that's all I want. And it would be groovy if MMP would make the new SK-style boards available on the website but I've probably said that before so I'll be quiet now.
  3. kempenfelter

ASL never was developed, would you still be playing SL?

Because instead of spending all your money on modules, magazines, and scenario packs you would have bought Apple stock? But what if you'd purchased Xerox shares instead? On the other hand, you could have written a best-selling novel or two or twenty-five. Think of the hours and hours and...
  4. kempenfelter

Ideas for Starter Kits?

Starter Kit Deluxe? You might be on to something. And though I was skeptical last year, SK PTO is winning me over, especially on VASL where you can make orchards look like palm trees. Currently playing S71 American Devil and planning to play the scenarios in Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2...
  5. kempenfelter

What price ASL? How many $ to start? How much have you spent?

On ebay the 80s Rulebook and Beyond Valor for $99.99 is for sale and it ships free to the US. That's a deal. The counter storage system seems rudimentary but would be enough to get started. Wait a minute, you'd need Boards 1 and 8 to play all the scenarios.
  6. kempenfelter

So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

Sometimes you have to play a scenario to learn what not to do. S70 A Sideshow Affair is one of those. The Japanese have 3 Type 92 infantry guns. I didn't think my Shermans had anything to fear from them and barring a Hull Hit to the side or rear that is correct. However, the 322 RCT infantry...
  7. kempenfelter

Replaced?

Thanks Doug, that's got it
  8. kempenfelter

Replaced?

I downloaded VASSAL version 3.4.2 so I could updgrade to VASL 6.6.0 And now I can't access VASSAL version 3.2.17 in order to play the three games I have in progress. They were started with VASL 6.5.0 and 6.5.1 Do newer VASSAL versions replace older ones? Spoiler alert: I'm not that tech savvy
  9. kempenfelter

New maps from the Starter Kits

And I always thought S2 War Of The Rats took its inspiration from Scenario B The Tractor Works. The only MMP scenario that uses a Starter KIt board for ASL is J106 Marders Not Martyrs, isn't it? Also, you need counters from Beyond Valor to play it. So far I have resisted the urge to buy...
  10. kempenfelter

Do any of you prefer SL or ASLSK to ASL?

By the time GI:Anvil of Victory heaved itself onto the shore I was done with Squad Leader. I bought it, of course, and took an immediate dislike to the module. Maybe it was the Command and Control rule, or the pink Level counters. There's a golf analogy here, not that I know much about the...
  11. kempenfelter

Interesting. I remember reading reports showing Squad Leader and Starter Kit events at the World Boardgaming Championships. Both are systems, with some limitations, that can be set up and played by first-timers, I guess.
  12. kempenfelter

I wonder if anyone who still plays Squad Leader uses VASL? I'm almost(almost)tempted to download it to have a look. The last post in the GS Squad Leader thread was October, 2018. On the other hand BoardGameGeek had a SL discussion yesterday so...it lives! And on ebay there are more than a...
  13. kempenfelter

ASLSK EP#2: Looking for opponent

Starter Kit boards k and l have not been entered into VASL yet. The k and l boards available are Deluxe. Perhaps the VASL gnomes are working on it.
  14. kempenfelter

Not my day. Gacked the repair roll on the tank's MA--bye bye--and so on Turn 6 I had to run the gauntlet. My cunning plan depended on the remaining CHI-HA cruising over to the biggest threat, the closest 7-6-8, and taking it out with Bounding Fire. Nope, I couldn't roll a 3 with either the...
  15. kempenfelter

I imagine the result would have been the same but isn't the perimeter off? I thought the VC indicated buildings within two hexes of O5 not Q5.
  16. kempenfelter

Banzai time! The MG on the hill helped the charge though at the end of the turn I had a lot fewer troops on the board. And malfed a MA because I can never resist Intensive Fire. We played the Japanese half of Turn 4 and there was good news and bad. The 9-1 directed firegroup kept rate...
  17. kempenfelter

Started S69 Stovepipe Funeral as the Japanese the other day. To win there have to be 6 squad equivalents within 2 hexes of I7 and the Japanese have twice as many squads as the opposition on the first turn. However, the Marines are 7-6-8s and 3 more show up at halftime. Things seemed to go my...
  18. kempenfelter

S68 The End Of Their Rope seemed aptly named. At the end of Turn 4 the Japanese 10-0 had obligingly failed an NMC but the rest of the 148th Infantry Regiment continued to move forward. By Turn 5 defeat looked certain even though a series of low odds fire attacks had stopped the Japanese...
  19. kempenfelter

Currently playing S68 The End Of Their Rope and so far have no complaints about the dicebot though my opponent might have some. The Marauders swept forward on Turn One aided by effective mortar and MMG fire. The Japanese got some of their own back advancing, ambushing and eliminating a squad...
  20. kempenfelter

Today in ASL history

You mean the de-evolution of the righteous IFT, don't you? (Chuckle) Are we not men?