Search results

1. Dr Zaius

Why are RepubliKLANs Supporting ripping Children away from their Moms?

Personally, I think the way these policies are being implemented needs to be modified. However, the sudden bout of manufactured outrage is fooling absolutely no one. This “news” is more like coordinated talking points...
  2. Dr Zaius

All that said, and even if it's been going on way before Trump, there's got to be a more humane way to handle this. Instead of playing blame games, US legislators need to work together to try to come up with a way to deal with the problem. And yes, we all know the root of the problem originates...
  3. Dr Zaius

Is this really anything new? https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexican-kids-held-for-months-as-punishment-for-border-crossing/2015/03/10/311d319a-b2f2-11e4-bf39-5560f3918d4b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4c57080cc5f4...
  4. Dr Zaius

I know, I hate it too. But the mods were getting absolutely killed by the spammers, so something had to be done. Let me see if there is a better option.
  5. Dr Zaius

Trip to ancient sites in Greece

I am flying out of Dulles. My wife’s nephew lives in Springfield, so we come up here once or twice a year. I PM you next time I’m coming to D.C. Not looking forward to this flight, as I’m way too big and grouchy to be flying in economy. Alas...
  6. Dr Zaius

Finally back in the US as my trip was interrupted by a death in the family. If it could go wrong on the trip back, it went wrong. I thought United was bad, but compared to British Airlines it’s okay. Though I will say the British crews were very nice. Anyway, I’ve made it to Washington D.C. and...
  7. Dr Zaius

This G-7 photo says it all about our doofus president

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/06/13/chinas_deal_breaker_property_rights_137260.html Exactly.
  8. Dr Zaius

Yes, again I completely agree. Whatever trade imbalances we have with Europe and Canada are workable and I think most people are fine with it because it’s mutually beneficial for the most part. No reasonable person expects trade to be completely equal, these things are complicated and evolve...
  9. Dr Zaius

Bulls***. http://www.businessinsider.com/canada-trade-surplus-with-the-us-widens-loonie-rallies-2018-6 The US runs a huge trade deficit with pretty much every one of its major trading partners and has for a very long time. Democrats have furiously complained for decades that the United States...
  10. Dr Zaius

Charles Krauthammer’s courageous farewell

I don’t know if he was or not. I remember George Will being on there, who had a similar style and temperment.
  11. Dr Zaius

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweat

That particular word is used less often and has a bit of a different meaning in the US than it does in the UK. Brits commonly use it as an all-purpose curse, sort of like calling someone an ass****. No one takes it too seriously over there, but Americans don’t use it that way.
  12. Dr Zaius

Had to stop for some wine and to catch my breath after hiking to the top of the ruins at Mycenae in the heat. That’s a bit of a climb! Like a dumbass, I also ventured all the way to the bottom of the underground chamber leading to the cistern, which you’re not supposed to do as it’s pitch black...
  13. Dr Zaius

The thought police are here

I actually don’t disagree with you, which makes me strongly doubt that you actually read that second article in full. Sure, the author called out left-leaning publishers, but the core of what he called for is basic common sense Western values: the exchange of ideas and opinions free from the...
  14. Dr Zaius

The Fall of Gondolin

I think what I objected to was the “feel” of the films. Tolkien’s vision was one that evoked the ancient world, some elements of our own Medieval era, and re-imaginings of Christian stories and very old European legends. Tolkien mixed all these elements into a unique blend of his own creation...
  15. Dr Zaius

The Fall of Gondolin

The movies were good, even great at times, but they were far from perfect. I felt Jackson deviated from the source material too much, and some of it just seemed like arbitrary changes. I get the necessity to condense things in order to fit such a long story into a film format. But still, some it...
  16. Dr Zaius

I just left the ruins of ancient Sparta and the Byzantine hill city of Mistra. Absolutely fascinating. You can see the pictures on my Facebook page. Right now I’m sitting on the island rock of Monemvasia wondering how the hell they got these large cannons up here. Incredibly gorgeous location...
  17. Dr Zaius

Charles Krauthammer’s courageous farewell

Society needs more people like him. Educated and intelligent, he was always dignified and shared his opinions and insights with respect for others. He was also a good listener and not just a good talker. Charles Krauthammer’s courageous farewell In all the years I’ve been seeing him on...
  18. Dr Zaius

A little bit of both, I think. This sums it up nicely: The Creepy and Creeping Power of Social Media I want to hear a wide variety of ideas, opinions from every corner of the spectrum, and to be exposed to controversial expressions of thought. That’s the legacy of Western philosophy, and I do...
  19. Dr Zaius

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

He seemed like a man who had great appetites, great enthusiasms, and who was searching for a deeper meaning in this life beyond just finding some tasty food or seeing new places. Bourdain was a bit of a rebel, an explorer, a raconteur, and a man of strong opinions. He was flawed, like all of...
  20. Dr Zaius

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/when-the-content-police-came-for-the-babylon-bee/ Couldn’t agree more. We’re setting ourselves up for something really bad if some basic regulations aren’t put in place to A) ensure a few big tech oligarchs don’t end up waging information warfare...