Search results

1. Mike205

DBP6- Route 41

Non, je ne regrette rien For this weekend’s game I talked Doug into playing a scenario from Critical Hit’s Dien Bien Phu pack. I chose Route 41 since, as a straight up infantry fight, it appeared to be the best ASL conversion and wasn’t played on the DBP map, which calls for some specific...
  2. Mike205

AP86 Milling About

Work has slowed down my AAR posting but fortunately not my opportunities to play ASL. Not that I play ASL at work or anything…I just post AARs at work. For last week’s scenario we decided on something from Action Pack 6 and settled on Milling About, a nice early war Burma scenario where a...
  3. Mike205

FT270 Revenges at Saint Julien

Did you catch the clever play on words? “Revenges” at St. Julien? Set in August 1944 this six turn scenario from the newest From the Cellar Pack depicts a German anti-partisan operation against FFI forces in south-central France. Historically, the Germans, or more accurately Cossacks fighting...
  4. Mike205

RPT 72 Yangtze Doodle

I'm a Yangtze Doodle dandy A Yangtze Doodle, do or die A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam Born on the Fourth of July I've got a Yangtze Doodle sweetheart She's my Yangtze Doodle joy Yangtze Doodle came to London Just to ride the ponies I am the Yangtze Doodle boy I know some of you out...
  5. Mike205

FT 273 Former Foes

Saigon. Shit, I’m still only in Saigon. For this past weekend’s scenario Doug and I decided to play Former Foes, from Franc Tireur’s Cellar Pack #9. In this really interesting late war PTO scenario, a British expeditionary force led by Lord Mountbatten attempts to keep order in the...
  6. Mike205

HS14- The Christmas Gifu

It’s July, it’s hot, and it’s humid. It’s so hot and humid in the south that if you go to the mailbox you come back looking like you fell in a swimming pool. The other night I came back from walking my dogs and my wife asked if it’d rained. That’s how bad I looked. Aside from being the peak of...
  7. Mike205

FrF59- Capital Punishment

Our second foray into the Friendly Fire series featured another heater. In this late war scenario, the Soviets have established a bridgehead over the Oder River at the town of Neu Glietzen, roughly sixty kilometers (that’s 37.2823 miles for my fellow Americans) northeast of Big Bad Berlin...
  8. Mike205

FrF16 Last Orders

Wir sind auf Sondereinsatz. Mit welches Vollmacht? Vollmacht von oben. Ganz oben. It’s April 1945 and schweres Panzerjager Kompanie 614 finds itself near Zossen, Germany. Their orders are unclear- should they fight their way through to the OKW headquarters located in the town? Or would...
  9. Mike205

LFT 245- Ciao Cina

So much carnage. In our final game of the holiday weekend, Doug and I broke out this scenario from the latest issue of Le Franc Trieur. It’s a particularly interesting one that examines the 1943 Japanese attempt to annex Italian holdings in China after the armistice. A mixed group of plucky...
  10. Mike205

RPT 141 Volunteers became scarce

My introduction to The Forgotten War had me like.. We were fortunate to play a lot of ASL over the long weekend and even managed to make an initial foray into the Korean War with this scenario, which pits defending ROKs against NK tanks and infantry in June 1950. After dicing, I wound up as the...
  11. Mike205

J150 The Sangshak Redemption

To kick off Memorial Day weekend, we decided to head to the PTO for a mash up between the Japanese and some Gurkhas defending Sangshak, Burma in March 1944 during the Kohima-Imphal campaign. When the dice settled Doug wound up taking the defenders. He started out with a handful of clerks n’...
  12. Mike205

V23 Tiger at Bay- or SS vs. SSF

F*cking finally! I’ve had my eye on this scenario for quite a while now. After printing out the scenario card at work months ago I rushed home to discover that I was missing board 63. Poking around online I had trouble finding a copy of WO 2011 for sale and thought I was fortunate to find one...
  13. Mike205

GJ033 Sake at Sunrise

I’m a big fan of the Grumble Jones ASL blog and regularly read his AARs. In fact, coming across the blog helped inspire me to start playing again last spring, after a five year hiatus due to work, school, and family commitments. GJ has been posting monthly scenarios for a while now and I...
  14. Mike205

SP 21 Matira's Secret

In this scenario some battle hardened veterans of the U.S. Third Armored division armed with a top secret weapon attempt to seize some board 20 real estate in Dessau, Germany. In April 1945 chances are its value was low. Psst! What’s the big secret? Why it’s a sup, sup, suppeeeer Pershing! An...
  15. Mike205

SP5 The Hornet of Cloville

I took the Americans for this one and decided to divide my force into two flanking movements, one from the northeast and another coming in from the west. The bulk of my formation came down from the north with a Sherman tank. I deployed my 8-1 with two 6-6-6s and an mmg with the idea of sliding...
  16. Mike205

Eastern front scenario recommendations

Hi all, Next to desert theater of operations, which I haven't played since I don't have the counters or rules, the eastern front for some reason ranks as the theater that I've played the least, in favor of late war NWE and PTO. I'm sure this stands in stark contrast to most ASL players and I...
  17. Mike205

Players in the Birmingham, Alabama area?

Hi there, I recently returned to ASL and am looking for some FtF players in the Birmingham, Alabama metro area. I'm game, pun intended, for any theater, time period, or kind of scenario. I'd like to be able to cut the cord about once or twice a month and sit down for some good old fashioned...
  18. Mike205

Wars of Decolonization

Hi everyone, Has anyone considered designing scenarios for the post-45 conflicts that accompanied decolonization in Africa and Asia? Another interesting subject could be the Soviet reoccupation of Eastern Europe, which to be fair, has seen increasing coverage recently. These fights would be a...
  19. Mike205

Birmingham AL

Hi everyone, I'm returning to ASL after a long hiatus and purchased a copy of the 2nd edition rule book and Action Pack #9 a couple of weeks ago. The basics returned like riding a bike and I'm so glad to be back enduring banzai charges in Burma circa '42. It's probably a stretch, but I'd love...