Search results

1. bprobst

BWN-5 Breda Bash

Just an observation: I found it strange that the extra counters provided in the Blitzkrieg in the West pack filled in some gaps and provided extras for the Germans, but the French were just ignored? There are insufficient French counters in a single copy of CdG to play this scenario. (And I'm...
  2. bprobst

Updated KGP maps for VASL?

There's nothing wrong (that I know of) with the current KGP maps available (ST, CH and LG) but there is room for improvement (as there was room for improvement on the original RB map leading to the RBv2 map). Specifically, I am contemplating the tedious task of pulling out my fine black pen, my...
  3. bprobst

Overlay extension -- H3 (hillock) issue

There is a problem with the H3 overlay. It's a bit hard to describe, but basically the locating numbers of the overlay (i.e., the 1-2) swap positions depending on how the overlay is rotated. I.E. default orientation is "1-2", rotate cw still "1-2", rotate again it becomes "2-1". Which is more...
  4. bprobst

ROK Japanese MTR

Finally getting around to sorting my KW counters. Did I miss something, or are there no dm 50mm MTR counters for ROK? There's no ordnance notes indicating that they can't be dm. I had ... questions ... regarding some of the SW counter allocations for the various nationalities ("Why are BCFK...
  5. bprobst

More map shenanigans (i.e., bugs and other difficulties)

Looking at scenario RPT90 "Need a Ticket to Ride" The map config required is: 34 (cropped Q-GG) 9a 7b (cropped 1-10) NUL No big deal there, except: We already know the bug that swaps the corner boards when you try to crop them. So if you want to crop 7b, you have to tell VASL that you're...
  6. bprobst

CanCon 2019 AAR

26-Jan-2019 through 28-Jan-2019, Canberra, ACT, Australia. Tournament organiser: Andy Rogers. 5 scenarios, although only the 1st 4 counted for tournament results, as by round 4 only 2 players had a 3-0 record. (Also several players were unable to attend on the last day.) 18 players (I think)...
  7. bprobst

Broken Bamboo VC

The VC state (in both versions): "The British win at game end if they Control >= 5 of the 6 building hexes that are <= 4 hexes from 47CC6." Let's pick the nits first: all of the "British" in this scenario are Gurkhas. Why not call them Gurkhas? A common complaint, but whatever. Slightly...
  8. bprobst

RBv2 map transformations not working?

Is it just me, or are the transformations for this map (gutting individual buildings, etc.) no longer working? Or did they never work? They work fine on the previous version of the map (RB v1.3). RBv2 v2.3 VASL 6.4.2, VASSAL 3.2.17.
  9. bprobst

ANZAC ASL - Melbourne, Australia

ANZAC Day (25 April) this year falls on a Wednesday -- very inconvenient. In lieu of any formal ANZACon tournament, I'm holding an "open house" for ASL on the weekend of 28-29 April. Feel free to turn up either or both days for some open ASL gaming -- all skill levels welcome. I live in Glen...
  10. bprobst

Scenarios that have changed over time

To be more accurate, scenarios that are looked at a bit differently than when they were first published and played. Every player gains experience as he plays more games, becoming a better (or at least, less incompetent) player as he goes along. As a consequence, if you play a scenario that you...
  11. bprobst

BFP Deluxe boards for VASL

Any chance that up-to-date VASL boards will be created for deluxe boards BF1 and BF2? The existing files are, uh, kind of primitive -- which would be forgivable if they were compatible with other DASL boards, which they aren't, making them pretty useless. (I mean the VASL files are useless...
  12. bprobst

Deathwish 888 Round 6 Report

Darryl Lundy's French have defeated Bruce Probst's Thai in J70 "Just an Illusion". The game started very well indeed for the Thai who smashed the picket line French who barely managed a whimper. It appears though that those guys were there as some sort of punishment detail, as all the true...
  13. bprobst

CH64 Race for the Bridges - board-specific overlay request

Scenario CH64 Race for the Bridges (from CH SE #1) requires the use of the overlay "Bd40 Village" that was supplied in that issue. There is an overlay on vasl.info but I can't get it to work, it keeps claiming that there's "an illegal orientation 'a'" when you try and place it according to the...
  14. bprobst

Deleted - stupid GS posting errors

Scenario CH64 Race for the Bridges (from CH SE #1) requires the use of the overlay "Bd40 Village" that was supplied in that issue. There is an overlay on vasl.info but I can't get it to work, it keeps claiming that there's "an illegal orientation 'a'" when you try and place it according to the...
  15. bprobst

Deleted - more stupid GS posting errors

16. bprobst

Deathwish 888 Round 5 Report

Bruce Probst's Russians have defeated Brian Wiersma's Germans in AP41 The Meat Grinder. This was easily achieved by the simple mechanism of Brian regularly rolling terrible dice and me regularly rolling pretty damned good dice. This enabled the Russians to score a massive early CVP lead that...
  17. bprobst

Deathwish 888 Round 4 Report

Bruce Probst's Belgians have narrowly defeated David Wallace's Germans in J182 Belgium Blitzkrieg. A very up-front defence by the Belgians with a determination to not lose control of building Z6 by Turn 2 paid off with plenty of good Belgian chocolate to cause a quite staggering amount of...
  18. bprobst

Strange VASL 6.4.0 error

Discovered what seems to be a very weird bug in 6.4.0. If one player uses either the "up" or "down" arrows to change the position of units in a stack (moving a counter to the top or the bottom of the stack respectively), the other player sees a spurious LOS thread appear on their screen (it...
  19. bprobst

T4 Shklov's Labors Lost

I played a wacky game of T4 "Shklov's Labors Lost" yesterday against my friend Gordon. I was Russian. Gordon decided right off the bat to laugh at probability and, first, immediately ran out of smoke from his StuGs; then he began a whole string of rolling low with everything else, somewhat...
  20. bprobst

CGs & multiple Sniper counters

I noticed something that struck me as a bit odd while browsing the latest offering from DftB. The "2 Sniper counters per side" CG rule is marked as "optional". On further investigation I found that's how the rule is written in most "small" CGs issued by MMP as well. To be more specific, the...