Search results

1. holdit

How did you get your start into War games?

Bruce Quarrie general wargaming rules (can't remember the title) led to Bruce Quarrie's Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature...led to Wargames Research Group 1685 to 1845...led to AH Russian Front (actually spotted it by chance without ever hearing of AH)...led to Squad Leader (also spotted by...
  2. holdit

What boardgames have you played recently?

"Doom"? Seriously?
  3. holdit

You can't really compare the two. Steel Panthers has a similar range of timeframe, locations and functionality to ASL, and is topdown-only, UGOIGO and hex-based. Combat Mission is limited in timeframe (Sicily/Italy, Normandy, Market Garden, Bulge, Operation Bagration), and is 3D. Apart from...
  4. holdit

Nice work. I like how you've made use of the original game counters. It's nice to see the original maps in use too (the NBIV map format isn't nearly as easy to read), although they might look clearer without the deployment information. I was able to clean up the deployment information from a few...
  5. holdit

That sounds fine. With the brigade as manoeuvre element, you don't need great detail in the maps. AH themselves didn't provide that much detail in their maps either. Do did you adapt for use with hexes? Is your scale 1 hex = 1 inch? Please post screenshots when you can and let me know as soon as...
  6. holdit

I'm very interested! I was looking at how it might be done in Vassal, but I've no experience with creating modules. I don't have space for miniatures either (ditto time, skill and money), so I play using the HPS/JTS Napoleonic Battles games scenario editor as a kind of virtual tabletop, with one...
  7. holdit

ASL and the StG-44

Interesting. I was thinking something similar if the output from the rest of the squad really was so negligible, but I was thinking muskets instead of pitchforks. :)
  8. holdit

ASL and the StG-44

I've always assumed that, although the squad may have been built around the MG, it doesn't mean that the rest of the squad was sitting around thumb-twiddling while the MG was firing. In a fire-and-maneouvre scenario, the manoeuvre element will be firing something, and the StG would put out more...
  9. holdit

ASL and the StG-44

This seems to have been a theme with AH. In Napoleon's Battles fire combat (skirmishers + divisional artillery), Bob Coggins took the standard infantry brigade as 2" range with a -3 modifier if the unit type wasn't skirmish-capable, and 4" range with 0 modifier if it was, with other variations...
  10. holdit

ASL and the StG-44

When looking at the German infantry counters 4-6-8, 4-6-7 and 4-4-7, I was surprised not to see some effect on firepower from the availability of the StG-44, e.g. a 5-4-7 or 5-3-7 squad. If not firepower, then maybe assault fire capability. The 4-6-7 squad in 1945, however, is no different from...
  11. holdit

New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Yes, I know. :)
  12. holdit

It's working great now I've "educated" my AV. Fantastic program, many thanks. I like that if you make a typo you don't have to create the label again; you can just edit the label instead. Any idea when the other nations' armour and ordnance information will be included?
  13. holdit

I guessed as much, but I though I should let you know. :)
  14. holdit

My AV is flagging it as a trojan.
  15. holdit

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Strayer's Strays
  16. holdit

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Konstantin Koroteev
  17. holdit

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Hawker Hurricane
  18. holdit

Vietnam....

I thought it was very well done - the final episode was particularly powerful. I think that war was a great example of the sunk costs fallacy and the road to hell being paved with good intentions. It also showed how willing people (on both sides) can be to do evil things in the name of...
  19. holdit

The A-Z of ASL and WWII

Seelow Heights.
  20. holdit

Beevor on war movies

At least Anzio looked a bit like Italy, whereas...