Search results

1. Tim Niesen

Pacific CGs without USMC

Although the designers of the module have decided to make their infantry 447s, I think that a 347 might be more accurate. John Gordon gave an example in the book of a squad size unit failing to eliminate a Japanese unit in a beached landing craft despite shooting at them for hours. until a...
  2. Tim Niesen

Pacific CGs without USMC

The Japanese Official History of the campaign, which has never been translated into English, observed that the men of these units were very brave but had odd fighting skills. Few of the sailor enlisted men had shot a weapon since basic training. John Gordon paid his Japanese secretary at Rand to...
  3. Tim Niesen

Pacific CGs without USMC

I think that the China Marines were superior to the other Marines in the Pacific because of their experiences in China. The crews of the American gunboats may have been even better. Many were 15 to 20 year veterans, having fought small squad unit actions up and down their riverine base of...
  4. Tim Niesen

Pacific CGs without USMC

If the Corridor module is authentic, then at least the officers if not the noncoms in the naval infantry had China Marines. The noncoms in this very usual unit were mainly from the Chinese riverine gunboats (think Steve McQueen). The inferior ones had been naval petty officers, mainly from the...
  5. Tim Niesen

SMOKE and Concealment.

Thanks. I do not have charts at my house. We are in planning stages for game tomorrow. Tim
  6. Tim Niesen

SMOKE and Concealment.

This may seem elementary, but here goes. We plan to fire SMOKE at a hex with units which may have a concealment counter on them. Does that influence the to hit chart. I think not because we are firing at the hex and not the units. I have never done this before because when firing GUNs with SMOKE...
  7. Tim Niesen

Orerekya Breakout: No Three.

Further addendum. Steve changed his mind about forces. I said okay, his pathetic Rumanian on board force needs all the help it receives. And the prospect of no Off board ART modules bodes well for us. He is now taking offboard, a German tank platoon, two German infantry platoons, and a German...
  8. Tim Niesen

Orerekya Breakout: No Three.

Well Don and Steve started the third TM. Neither Uncle Bill nor I were there. Steve has got a new job, and this was the first Saturday that he has been available. We lost most of the captured weapons. Only 4 or 5 of the 13+ captured remain. Steve bought an attack chit for the Axis. Amazingly, he...
  9. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

George, Thanks. So the temporary occupation of the ground level of S7 does prevent the Rumanian reoccupation of that building during the TM intermission and Rumanian/German reorganization of their forces. Tim
  10. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

A fortified building is built by levels. I assume this means that the Factory can be fortified for the cost of ten DSP points? Tim
  11. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

Thanks for the clarification George, but the criticism is good, both Don and I need to read the building control rules. Clearly, the building S7/T7, which had a 6+1 enter and occupy one hex on turn six, and the break in the prep fire of Rumanian turn six, and then rout away, is not occupied by...
  12. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

JR, In this game both buildings and foxholes become TAC zones establishing forward edge of battle. Tim
  13. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

Perhaps.
  14. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

So in this case we do not control building R7/Q6. We can remain, but in an isolated status. In the case of the Factory, where we can see that there are no enemy units there, do we control that building? Or would a turn seven been required for a mopping up to be completed akin to building R7/Q6...
  15. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

If I had had another turn, and I had searched the building would I own the building in that case?
  16. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

George, if my Soviet unit occupied the building on the last turn of the session, but only occupies one of the building's four hexes. This is two hex building, and has no known Rumanian units there. Do I control the building for the next session. Or only the hex which I occupied. My ally argues...
  17. Tim Niesen

British Indian Units on the Heat of Battle Table?

And the criterion for not cowering on doubles is that a British unit has to be at least a normal infantry unit, a 457. All second line British 447s cower, and all Free French cower, regardless of quality. Tim
  18. Tim Niesen

British Indian Units on the Heat of Battle Table?

Do Indian Army and Gurkhas units use the British minus one on the HOB Table? I understand that Gurkhas units are Elite, and that they get a minus one on the DR on the HOB Table. But do they get an additional minus one for being British. Tim
  19. Tim Niesen

Ozerekya Breakout.

Okay.
  20. Tim Niesen

About that ASL Supplemental Map Bundle ...

I preordered the boards, but would rather order then individually. Or even better yet purchase my missing maps in the now highly priced ASL Journals which I missed. If they would reprint the journals with the missing maps. For example, after I ordered the interesting magazine on the American...