Frustrating Moments in ASL

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Was playing Clash at Ponyri earlier and had two super major frustrating moments during the course of the game, In one building I had had two to one -1 odds on a Russian squad and for three turns, I kept rolling an 11, in another location, the water tower, I had another two to one odds -2 vs another Russian squad and kept rolling 11's and thus was held up for two or three turns also.

And so these two incidents played a major part in losing the scenario, I was running out of bodies to throw at the Russians and with 5 squad equivalents held up in melee's really hurt my chances to try and take or hold ground during the scenario.

Still, a fun scenario if not a little pro Russian. So what were some really frustrating moments in your games?

Scott

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Playing VotG 3 solo, I had a German 467 go berserk and wiped out as it ran in OG (in fact, shellholes, but he didn't use their protection of course). Acceptable occurence.
Quite immediately afterwards, another 467 (stacked with my 10-2 superleader) went zerk too... It ran into a stone building occupied by a puny 426. Not bad news, as I could approach the position with other units and go for a kill during CC (Russian lax and German Berserk status compensating the ambush drms, and adding the 10-2 leader's drm).
The conscripts TBPFed and managed an NMC against my Zerker.
Full of confidence because of the 10 morale, I throw my dice : box cars!
Double CR (MC miss and fate)...
A quick 20% loss of manpower due to extreme dice results... frustrating, IMO.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
The most frustating moment is when I attack 8-2, or 6-3, and the result is BH and a hero. I suffered this moment in my actual game in the VASL league, and lat year in another VASL game...

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Trying to get the russians to break in a fortified, fanatic location (pavlovs House) with pavlov with the squads!!!! very difficult with a base 8 morale.Oh yes and breaking the flame thrower on the first chance it could fire!!!!

Last edited:

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
When I am adjacent to broken enemy units in the advancing fire phase and am not keen to take prisoners. My massive FG gets a good morale check against the brokies but they roll 1.1 Then they rally, HOB and get a hero.

Why do I always do that?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
what about rolling 6,6 four times in a row during a decisive attack in advance fire phase as German in Lenin's son, during a VASL game, malfunctioning a LMG, a MMG and a FT in the process?

and what about a 6,6 in the first two shots of the two 88L AA in Zon with the wind?

Luckily Lenin's son was a friendly game, and Zon with the wind was a victory despite the early breakdowns.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try playing SP 150-The Legrew Manuever as the Germans with FOUR malf'ed MA's and one sniper recall (snake). The final blow was a 10 on my PSK shot in turn five with a chance to exit THREE AFV's with malf'ed MA's for the win.
Never lost ALL my MA's in four turns like that before. No IF shots either.

My Winter War tale of woe.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 years ago at the Open, i'm playing Fritz Eifrig--hey Fritz!--in Seitang Bridge. I'm in really good shape going into the final turn and a half. I'm thinking, "This game is in the bag."

Well, Fritz starts rushing the bridge. I take a 1-2 at a japanese squad. I roll snakes...and cower off the chart. It's also Fritz's SAN. he rolls a "1" and breaks a squad on my left. No problem as i still have a squad, lmg and my 8-1 leader covering.

Fritz then moves another squad. I take another 1-2. Snakes again! Cower off the chart, and Fritz rolls another "1" for the sniper. Of course the sniper wacks my 8-1 leader and the squad breaks on the LLMC. I can't think ever rolling back to back snake eyes on the IFT could cost someone a game, but it did me. It was also my only loss of the Open. Thanks Fritz! :)

Fritz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to help! ;-)

I think I still owe you a beer for that set of rolls-- see you at the Open!

Last edited:

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had an immobile, double big, double acquired LVT adjacent to my 12.7mm twin mount recently.

Rolled the obligatory boxcars.

Stupid game. :)

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully we'll get a game in. I'll bring the Guiness.

And when are we getting together for another game of "Here I Stand?"

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4th round of Winter War, my setup was bad, but the opponent (using my dice no less) couldn't roll less than an 8 for the first turn, or so it seemed.

Opening turn, some random WCDR, then 2 checks to deploy. Both rolled snakes. This was an omen that I ignored, trusting in the bell curve. The rest of his first prep fire was equally bad, ROF tears and 1MCs galore. And I couldn't pass a MC to save my bacon.

Totally demoralized by the end of the American's first turn. All the shots I took at his AFVs were ineffective (when I hit) his left flaming wrecks on the first or second shot, regardless of how difficult it was to hit.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I don't think you can aquire with a 12.7mm"

I could be wrong but I think if it is big letters, MA I think you can acquire with it.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing will compare to my spending all my Red Barricade purchase points on super-artillery with pre-registered hexes...the works. Both my field phones rolled boxcars on their first try. :angry: