Hero created after interdiction NMC

M.Netto

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
May a Hero created after an interdiction NMC (supposing the MMC did not Battle Hardened) continue to rout with the unit or does it have to stop? In the first case, would it be treated as a leader routing voluntarily and be eliminated if a further interdiction is failed?

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
May a Hero created after an interdiction NMC (supposing the MMC did not Battle Hardened) continue to rout with the unit or does it have to stop? In the first case, would it be treated as a leader routing voluntarily and be eliminated if a further interdiction is failed?
The Hero would just stay there and hopefully live long enough to do some heroic activities! Unless it is a Heroic leader then the leader rules would also apply.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For a hero to be created, a double one is first needed - which rallies the MMC and stops its rout right there - or am I wrong?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A broken unit does not rally automatically following a HOB result. It either has to battle harden or go berserk.

"15.21 CREATION: A hero is randomly created from other Personnel types (even if broken) during the course of play by a subsequent Final Heat Of Battle DR ≤ 6. A leader which becomes heroic automatically rallies and retains his leadership modifier and all leader capabilities (as well as any higher morale rating; a 10-2 or 10-3 leader would be considered a 1-4-10 hero; 1-3-9 if wounded). A leader that becomes heroic is marked with a generic Hero counter (1-4-9X) as a reminder that it retains both its leadership (or commissar) benefits and heroic qualities. A heroic leader may not combine his heroic DRM with his leadership DRM. However, should a heroic leader be eliminated, he can still be the cause of a LLMC. A MMC which creates a hero is not affected in any way (other than possibly also increasing in value due to Battle Hardening)."

"A15.3 An armed Personnel Unit can also benefit from a form of Unit Substitution whenever it rolls a 5-8 Final Heat of Battle DR (see also 15.44). This Battle Hardening effect improves the unit in Class (even if broken) by exchanging it for an unbroken, unpinned unit of the same size but the next higher quality. "

Last edited:

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A broken unit does not rally automatically following a HOB result. It either has to battle harden or go berserk.

"A15.3 An armed Personnel Unit can also benefit from a form of Unit Substitution whenever it rolls a 5-8 Final Heat of Battle DR (see also 15.44). This Battle Hardening effect improves the unit in Class (even if broken) by exchanging it for an unbroken, unpinned unit of the same size but the next higher quality. "

"15.21 CREATION: A hero is randomly created from other Personnel types (even if broken) during the course of play by a subsequent Final Heat Of Battle DR ≤ 6. A leader which becomes heroic automatically rallies and retains his leadership modifier and all leader capabilities (as well as any higher morale rating; a 10-2 or 10-3 leader would be considered a 1-4-10 hero; 1-3-9 if wounded). A leader that becomes heroic is marked with a generic Hero counter (1-4-9X) as a reminder that it retains both its leadership (or commissar) benefits and heroic qualities. A heroic leader may not combine his heroic DRM with his leadership DRM. However, should a heroic leader be eliminated, he can still be the cause of a LLMC. A MMC which creates a hero is not affected in any way (other than possibly also increasing in value due to Battle Hardening)."
I don't have the rules with me, but surely if you produce a hero from that NMC you'll battle harden at the same time ?

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don't have the rules with me, but surely if you produce a hero from that NMC you'll battle harden at the same time ?
No. When rolling a 1,1 HoB occurs and the broken MMC is not harmed by the interdiction. Then the player has to make a follow-up DR. On a 2, 3 or 4 a Hero will be created, but the broken MMC will not battle harden.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A15.21 is pretty specific. The hero stands his ground while his colleagues head for cover to shout encouragement from behind a bush.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A15.21 is pretty specific. The hero stands his ground while his colleagues head for cover to shout encouragement from behind a bush.
Ok, so I'm probably being thick here, but where does A15.3 come into it ?

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
As I know there is no rule in ASL saying that a 1,1 in an MC rallies a unit because of rolling a 1,1.

Only the follow-up DR for HoB that generates the Berserk or Battle Hardening status will rally the broken unit (in the case of Berserk) or exchanges the broken unit with an unbroken unit of higher quality (in the case of Battle Hardening) .

M.Netto

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil

That was my understanding and why I asked.

The table on original 2 DR says nothing about a rally on after a MC DR and with a DR of 1-4 on the Heat of Battle table we'll get a hero without Battle Hardening.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As @M.Netto and others pointed out it is entirely possible for an MMC to roll an original 2 in the RPh and not rally. If the unit has a broken morale of 5 and is DM being rallied by a 7-0 not in rally terrain a 2 is not enough to rally them although a BH or Berserk result on the HOB roll will rally them a Hero result will not rally them.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, just looked at the table - given an "average" MMC ( non elite, green, conscript etc ) , if it's broken that's +1, so you're staying broke on a DR1-3, back into action in one form or another on anything else bar a 12+ surrender...

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In A15.1 there is this sentence, "The Heat of Battle DRM for a broken unit applies even if the unit rallied as a result of the 2 DR which allowed the Heat of Battle DR." I realize the OP's question had to do with a NMC interdiction, not a Rally attempt. But if there is a broken 7 ML MMC under DM, in rally terrain with a 7-0 leader, it would rally on a DR of 2 or 3. If the rally DR is a 2, it would rally and then qualify for the HOB DR but still use the +1 DRM for having been broken. Therefore, on a FINAL HOB DR of 6 or less, 5 or 6 (Edited) the now rallied unit creates Hero and Battle Hardens. Unless I am missing something?

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In A15.1 there is this sentence, "The Heat of Battle DRM for a broken unit applies even if the unit rallied as a result of the 2 DR which allowed the Heat of Battle DR." I realize the OP's question had to do with a NMC interdiction, not a Rally attempt. But if there is a broken 7 ML MMC under DM, in rally terrain with a 7-0 leader, it would rally on a DR of 2 or 3. If the rally DR is a 2, it would rally and then qualify for the HOB DR but still use the +1 DRM for having been broken. Therefore, on a FINAL HOB DR of 6 or less, the now rallied unit creates Hero and Battle Hardens. Unless I am missing something?
I don't think that this is correct. Assuming that there are no modifiers apart from being broken, the HOB DR will resolve as follows:

DR of 2-3 creates a hero. Unit rallies normally
DR of 4-5 creates a hero and unit battle hardens
DR of 6-7- unit battle hardens
DR of 8-10- unit goes berserk
DR of 11-12- unit surrenders or disrupts if no enemy unit is ADJACENT