New ASL Journal announces Twilight of the Reich

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played PTO yet but you certainly make it sound attractive Vic ;) The Manilla HASL sounded pretty good I reckon, that seemed to be a way into PTO without having to worry about dealing with actual PTO terrain too much

I guess I'll get into it one day, the Japanese do sound like they would be fun to play
The Japanese in the first half of the war are really difficult to deal with, the last half, not nearly as much. Manilla is a great HASL but NOT a real intro to the PTO, it is the Pacific Stalingrad and more like Budapest that the Kokoda Trail. Get the Japanese core module for a start on true PTO fun.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I didn't know that you had playtested some of those Martin, that's pretty cool
Do you think there will be any Late War Western Front actions in this pack, with the Americans or the British?
That would be pretty cool for sure, that's my favourite kind of scenario so I'd really like to see that
There were none in the scenarios I saw but there may be some later.
For what it's worth, the western allies tried to avoid city fights. When your strength lies in maneuver and firepower, why would you spend precious infantry capturing a built up area you can bypass?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To get into PTO, buy Blood & Jungle from Bounding Fire.

The best pack out there with something like 48 PTO scenarios.
Thanks, I actually bought a first edition copy of that years ago but I think I misplaced it as I haven't been able to find it for a loooong time. It looked excellent though

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Japanese in the first half of the war are really difficult to deal with, the last half, not nearly as much. Manilla is a great HASL but NOT a real intro to the PTO, it is the Pacific Stalingrad and more like Budapest that the Kokoda Trail. Get the Japanese core module for a start on true PTO fun.
Thanks Vic, I have Rising Sun but, as I say, I've never played any of it. I think I'll need to sit down with the guys one day and just try and play through a scenario or two. Manilla does look good (I heard the maps are MASSIVE though)

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There were none in the scenarios I saw but there may be some later.
For what it's worth, the western allies tried to avoid city fights. When your strength lies in maneuver and firepower, why would you spend precious infantry capturing a built up area you can bypass?
Thanks Martin, Perry just answered my question, sounds good :)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Vic, I have Rising Sun but, as I say, I've never played any of it. I think I'll need to sit down with the guys one day and just try and play through a scenario or two. Manilla does look good (I heard the maps are MASSIVE though)
Yeah, Manilla looks awesome BUT you need a couple tables put together to play it or get a piece of plywood and put it over a mess table, you will need another, smaller table for all the ASL stuff you need to play it.

What I suggest is a dive into Rising Sun, that is where you learn PTO. Good luck, my favorite theater in 41 - 43, until Allied firepower turns 44-45 into increasingly frustrating but ultimately winnable bug-hunts. But if you concentrate on the Solomons, New Guinea and Burma, tons of great scenarios there with more to come. Good luck on your education on the nuances of PTO and Japanese play, a whole different climate to say the least. Enjoy!

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Vic,
I'll have to ask John Martin if he fancies having a go with me, some of the scenarios in that 'To the Bridge' Action Pack 9 sound like they would fit the bill then👍

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Vic,
I'll have to ask John Martin if he fancies having a go with me, some of the scenarios in that 'To the Bridge' Action Pack 9 sound like they would fit the bill then👍
One of the best scenario packs ever presented. There's only one or maybe two that I would not play again...and I usually only play a scenario once.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of 'To the Bridge', what ever happened to the other two packs?:

TO THE BRIDGE! is the first of three planned Action Packs covering the campaign from the Japanese invasion to the Allied liberation.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One of the best scenario packs ever presented. There's only one or maybe two that I would not play again...and I usually only play a scenario once.
Wow, that is high praise indeed. I guess that's the pack I need to look at with John then :)

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Speaking of 'To the Bridge', what ever happened to the other two packs?:

TO THE BRIDGE! is the first of three planned Action Packs covering the campaign from the Japanese invasion to the Allied liberation.
Good point, yeah, we never did see the other ones did we

mallexen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I second Eagle's opinion.
Ol'Fezziwig and I played all of the AP9 scenarios except the seaborne landing, and had a great time. If you like large scenarios, AP87 and AP92 were great fun, becoming almost like multiple individual scenarios on different parts of the larger map.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I second Eagle's opinion.
Ol'Fezziwig and I played all of the AP9 scenarios except the seaborne landing, and had a great time. If you like large scenarios, AP87 and AP92 were great fun, becoming almost like multiple individual scenarios on different parts of the larger map.
It certainly sounds like I need to go and look at playing some of these scenarios with my buddy John, for sure

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What I suggest is a dive into Rising Sun, that is where you learn PTO. Good luck, my favorite theater in 41 - 43, until Allied firepower turns 44-45 into increasingly frustrating but ultimately winnable bug-hunts. But if you concentrate on the Solomons, New Guinea and Burma, tons of great scenarios there with more to come. Good luck on your education on the nuances of PTO and Japanese play, a whole different climate to say the least. Enjoy!
If you like city bashes you will probably like late war PTO.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In regards to the two planned follow-up packs for 'To the Bridge', I suggest you ask Gary Fortenberry.
He was the designer for it, and will work on them when he can (Life gets in the way of ASL!).

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need to try them. It is a whole new ASL experience. Use european tactics and you will, rightly, suffer.
Actually I have found it easy to equate jungle and heavy urban combat (RB/RO)-- lots of skulking, ambushes, slow movement, etc.