C1.22 Radio question

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
During the DFPh , the Japanese player roll a 12 on his radio contact maintenance, so fail it and malfunction the radio. At that point the SR stay on the board and battery access is retained.

In its following RPh, he rolls dr=4 to repair the radio, so radio still malfunction.

What happen now in his PFPh ? He can’t roll for radio contact. I am assuming this is involuntary loss of contact. This is the 2nd friendly phase without radio contact.
It is not clear to me what to do next as per C1.22 and the player aid chart nor in the Supplement aid chart.
What happen to the SR and battery access ?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
During the DFPh , the Japanese player roll a 12 on his radio contact maintenance, so fail it and malfunction the radio. At that point the SR stay on the board and battery access is retained.

In its following RPh, he rolls dr=4 to repair the radio, so radio still malfunction.

What happen now in his PFPh ? He can’t roll for radio contact. I am assuming this is involuntary loss of contact. This is the 2nd friendly phase without radio contact.
It is not clear to me what to do next as per C1.22 and the player aid chart nor in the Supplement aid chart.
The SR remains in place.

C1.22...The involuntary loss of Contact does not automatically cause loss of Battery Access, but failure to regain Contact in the next friendly PFPh/DFPh (whichever comes first) will prevent the Conversion, Correction, and voluntary Cancellation of that battery's onboard SR/FFE counter; the FFE would continue to be resolved as per 1.5-.51, and, if still existing at the end of the RPh in which it is a FFE:C, would at that time be Cancelled (1.34); a SR would remain in place...

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct.

What happen now in his PFPh ? He can’t roll for radio contact. I am assuming this is involuntary loss of contact.
Incorrect.
This is the 2nd friendly phase without radio contact.
Kinda irrelevant.
Same as before. The SR stays on the board and battery access is retained.
[Your off-board battery waits patiently.] Try again to Repair Radio and Maintain Contact at next opportunity.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Do radios have a extra +1 contact/maintenance DR in PTO ?

Found it, they do. Forgot about that one.

Last edited:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the link. Some interesting variant options. I especially like #6. Why that simple change was not incorporated into the official RB long ago escapes me. As indicated, it takes the "death-trap" stigma out of F-Hs and increases the likelihood of their use. Much more in keeping with actual historical utility. IMHO.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Better yet...Make all OBA draws, rolls secret. Only when the SR hits the board will your opponent know if it's coming...
Will never know when it's double RED. Other rolls in the game are secret...you'd figure the enemy wouldn't know about your radioman unless there are spies around.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill Mauldin cartoon: "Fragnant Flower 3 to Fragnant Flower! What's your goddam number?"
[distills the essence of radio contact and maintenance]