Movement Trails - Which counters?

What counters should include the Movement Trails implementation?

• Vehicles Only

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Both Vehicles and Infantry units

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Vehicles, Infantry units, and Guns

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interested in knowing the communities views on this question. Also see the main thread for some examples.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
voted for all three because it seems like the trait will get applied to the 1/2 and 5/8 prototypes? just a guess.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My current path is to create a new prototype for each type of trail. this will allow easy updates if we want changes in the future. This is also due to each type having a slightly different trait structure, for instance, infantry does not rotate, so they are relatively simple, but both Guns and vehicles rotate, so you have to be more careful. I suspect a bit over 100 existing prototypes will need to be changed if all 3 types are implemented.

In all instances, the trait is OFF unless you toggle it on at the counter level. I am still in alpha testing (getting my laptop configured) to ensure each player controls their own display.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Any as long as it can be turned off in preferences.
I would hope it can be easily turned on/off for a given unit on the pull-down for that unit? That is how it works on the other games I have played that use it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Cool. I am with @A_T_Great : I am good as long as it can all be turned off. I fail to appreciate the utility of this feature at the moment.
Mainly a memory aid. It would also possibly have some utility if playing double blind with an umpire? In my experience it is not something that is constantly turned on. It usually gets turned off/on on the fly when examining the moves of a single unit/stack.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prioritize? Vehicles first. Infantry second. Guns a very distant third (or not at all). How often do people move Guns? And they don't move far/fast when they do. 😁

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume movement trails would not persist to the next Game Turn, but at what point do they reset?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Movement Trail counter trait has a reset function which in my beta version is triggered by 'CTRL+M', the same thing that resets the 'Moved' tag on counters.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played a scenario with armor on boards with lots of terrain obstacle (ASL271); the feature would be great for helping to check previous LOSs during motion attempts. My hope is that we could turn the feature on and off per vehicle. I’m looking forward to it.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The beta version I am testing allows each player to toggle it on/off by vehicle. You can not globally toggle. I got my laptop setup and was testing it last night. I have no bad news.
  1. Each player has complete control over their display - i.e., If one player toggles it on, the other player does not see it.
  2. The trail only displays if you have selected the counter, otherwise it is off. This also means any HIP unit can not be turned on by the opponent (since he can not select his enemies HIP units).
  3. In my beta I have only updated certain German and Russian type units. Infantry, Infantry leaders, and certain vehicle types. All work well. I see no reason to add the trait to armor leaders.
I will leave the modifications in my extension and will continue to use that as I playtest the extension. We will see what issues are found. Lots of time before Doug is planning the next update.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Guns never move by themselves. They are pushed or towed. The infantry pushing, or the vehicle towing, is the only unit that needs a movement trail.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guns never move by themselves. They are pushed or towed. The infantry pushing, or the vehicle towing, is the only unit that needs a movement trail.
My thinking as well, but I put it out there for comment/opinion.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Putting the traits as close to the 'root' prototype still seems worth the minor visual difference.