Forgotten War scenarios

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Given the variety of troop types involved, and the fluid actions of the first year and a half, I think there's still plenty left to do. 1952-53 might get a bit 'samey'.

I like it as it is good ASL. Infantry-focused battles with SUPPORTING AFVs
While I haven't read a lot I found it interesting about the US forces deployed early on. IIRC many were garrison troops remarkably unprepared for combat. An important lesson learned at a steep price.

Reactions: PTY

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I haven't read a lot I found it interesting about the US forces deployed early on. IIRC many were garrison troops remarkably unprepared for combat. An important lesson learned at a steep price.
The official US Army History Center's books about the Korean War should give one an indication of how unprepared the American forces were in the first few months of the war and how they acted if one only reads the footnotes. They usually start out with "The U.S. Army vs CPT/LT/SGT so and so." If one reads only a single article on the Korean War, I would suggest they read about "Task Force Smith" to get a feel for the first engagements and the terrible state of readiness of the U.S. Army at that time. As for how well trained and prepared for war the rear area troops were; Hey, they refueled a NORTH KOREAN tank unit that was moving south not realizing the South Koreans had no armor formations in their entire army.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
"One, Two, Five!" "Three, Sir!"

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://www.tamupress.com/book/9780890969946/escaping-the-trap/

https://www.tamupress.com/book/9780890964651/east-of-chosin/

https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Fighting-Brink/Unzl-W-Ent/9781681620909

Three excellent books on early Korean War actions of the US Army and USMC. I also have the US Army "Black Books" and the USMC "Blue Books" of which I haven't yet read but they're on the list. Eagle4ty already mentioned the Army books. The USMC Operations books are blue and are much like the WWII Red Books. Now that we got the colors straight there's plenty of reading to be had about the Korean War and hopefully more scenarios!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Three excellent books on early Korean War actions of the US Army and USMC. I also have the US Army "Black Books" and the USMC "Blue Books" of which I haven't yet read but they're on the list. Eagle4ty already mentioned the Army books. The USMC Operations books are blue and are much like the WWII Red Books. Now that we got the colors straight there's plenty of reading to be had about the Korean War and hopefully more scenarios!
Someone is working on a module of 'Escaping the Trap: 10th Army NE of Chosin' :)

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Escaping The Trap was one of the best books I've ever read on Korea. Col. Appleman is top notch. Pork Chop Hill by S.L.A. Marshall was another very good book.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another scenario I am working on is called 'Goodbye Geishas" -- about the First Cav's first action after five years of cushy occupation duty in Japan.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few of my favorites (so far):

The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction: Sloan, Bill:
  • Rehabilitates MacArthur's reputation a bit; Only he had the "relationship capital" with the Navy and Marines to pull this off. (Convinced me that in spite of his many flaws, MacArthur was a full generation ahead with regard to inter-service cooperation.) Plus, the more of Sloan's work I read-- the more I like. He challenges the 'status quo' and conventional wisdom a bit.
Fighting on the Brink: Defense of the Pusan Perimeter: Ent, Unzl W,

• Lots about the First Cavalry Division in this battle, so a very important source for AP 17
Leadership in the Crucible: The Korean War Battles of Twin Tunnels and Chipyong-ni ): Kenneth E. Hamburger, Bill Nevitt, U
  • ASL is about tactical Leadership -- we get plenty of that here.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A few of my favorites (so far):

The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction: Sloan, Bill:
  • Rehabilitates MacArthur's reputation a bit; Only he had the "relationship capital" with the Navy and Marines to pull this off. (Convinced me that in spite of his many flaws, MacArthur was a full generation ahead with regard to inter-service cooperation.) Plus, the more of Sloan's work I read-- the more I like. He challenges the 'status quo' and conventional wisdom a bit.
Fighting on the Brink: Defense of the Pusan Perimeter: Ent, Unzl W,

• Lots about the First Cavalry Division in this battle, so a very important source for AP 17
Leadership in the Crucible: The Korean War Battles of Twin Tunnels and Chipyong-ni ): Kenneth E. Hamburger, Bill Nevitt, U
  • ASL is about tactical Leadership -- we get plenty of that here.
Lol if it rehabilitates Mcarthur's rep a bit it must be one hell of a book. 😉

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Douglas MacArthur was certainly a dichotomy. A true genius and renowned reformer within the U.S. Army (especially at West Point and during the inter-World-War period) and a personally fearless leader as evidenced by his actions especially in the first World War but was overly egotistical and seemingly dismissive of comparable talent or dissonant views.

Graduating top of his class from West Point in 1903 his record of military service record beyond that point was impressive to say the least. While stationed in the Philippines in 1903 his unit was ambushed by guerillas and MacArthur rallied his small force, personally killing two of the rebels with his .45-cal pistol and was subsequently be recommended for his first of many awards for Valor, although it was turned down and a promotion to 1st LT was granted instead - the first promotion of many he would receive. In 1905 he was ADC to his father GEN Arthur MacArthur (a Medal of Honor recipient from the American Civil War) in a mission to Japan to resolve the Russo-Japanese War. In 1914 he was recommended for the Medal of Honor for fearlessly leading a mission against Mexican bandits during the U.S. occupation of Veracruz, and by the end of the First World War had been promoted to the rank of Brigadier General leading the famous 42nd "Rainbow Division" while again being nominated for the Medal of Honor (again not awarded) but having received two Distinguished Service Crosses and seven Silver Stars for personal bravery on the battlefield. Interestingly, during the First World War on the battlefield during the Argonne Offensive was the only recorded time MacArthur and Patton would personally meet.

Between the First & Second World Wars he served in many important positions for the U.S. Army to include The Superintendent of West Point where he tried to make several critical changes including an attempt to get rid of hazing, modernizing the curriculum, giving career appointments based upon academic achievement rather that political clout and even attempted to end racial black-balling within the academy of cadets and appointments to the academy. Most of these changes were strongly opposed by both faculty and alumni and after his term (1919-1922) and most were discarded shortly after his departure. Eventually though the academy would adopt these changes as necessary to keep relevant in a changing world. However, his uncompromising attitude during arguments to implement these actions during his tenure would gain him some powerful enemies within the Army and the government. Again, returning to the U.S. Philippines in 1923 as the Military Govenor General of Manila he would attempt to integrate the Philippine Scouts to roughly equal status with the U.S. Army but was thwarted by racial prejudices within the government and the Army and enduring enmity from his detractors. However, by 1930 He had risen to become the youngest Chief Of Staff the U.S. Army and was back in the States. It was during this period and following his divorce from his first wife that a few of his oddities started to manifest itself to the general public, like referring to himself in the 3rd person as "MacArthur" or "The General" and he started to cultivate a public relations image through the media at the time of him a strong anti-communist and the one person that knew how to lead the country out of The Depression. Several people commented that MacArthur had a court rather than a staff. He did work diligently (and successfully) to deter congress from further ravaging the military in cuts and funding than it already had though (approximately 50%) and additionally worked to reduce inter-service rivalries, especially in regard to aviation policies. His image within the services was somewhat tarnished with the old order however when he was on the Courts Martial Board for GEN Billy Mitchell and argued, unsuccessfully, for his acquittal. Add to this his handling of the Bonus March protesters and his public image had taken a beating as well. By 1937 he had officially resigned from the U.S. Army and would take a position as the Military Advisor to the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines with the rank of Field Marshall (the only one associated with the U.S. Army ever to be authorized to bear such a title). He would have a U.S. Army staff, to include COL Dwight D. Eisenhower, but would be paid by the Commonwealth of The Philippines and housed in almost royal status in Manila by the Philippine government. At the time he was the highest paid military advisor in the world and probably one of the most recognizable. In July 1941, after President Roosevelt had federalized the Philippine Defense Force and reinstated MacArthur into the U.S. Army, he would have had more time in the grade of general than almost any of the other generals of WW-II had time in the Army.

His actions in the Second World War and Korea are probably more well known, and still hotly debated, but it is interesting to know a bit of his previous history to put it into context. I personally haven't yet decided if I like/Respect/pity/hate the man but certainly am interested in such a figure. My father that had fought in the Pacific from Buna in New Guinea to the last day of the war in the Philippines loved the guy. My uncle that was captured in 1942 in the Philippines and spent almost 3 years in a Japanese POW camp hated him. I, that have read countless books on him and WW-II in particular, am torn in my feelings.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Escaping The Trap was one of the best books I've ever read on Korea. Col. Appleman is top notch. Pork Chop Hill by S.L.A. Marshall was another very good book.
Pork Chop Hill, gives my shivers just thinking about the movie, never mind the actual battle.

Anyone working on a HASL for this?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love to get ahold of the old KE playtest scenarios for Korea. But I'm not holding my breath.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pork Chop Hill, gives my shivers just thinking about the movie, never mind the actual battle.

Anyone working on a HASL for this?
The CH version is actually not bad. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the map, but the scenarios I played were decent. Of course- I think- you have to own their Chosin HASL to play this one.
(But an official HASL, or one from BFP, LFT.... would be nice.)

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The CH version is actually not bad. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the map, but the scenarios I played were decent. Of course- I think- you have to own their Chosin HASL to play this one.
(But an official HASL, or one from BFP, LFT.... would be nice.)
Yes, you need the counters from Chosin, as Pork Chop Hill doesn't come with them. Still, I played one of the Pork Chop Hill scenarios and quite enjoyed it. Love those Chinese buglers!

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
It may have been tiny for a city, but a Pyongyang map maybe the size of Singling map would be really nice.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Most narratives and wargames (the few we have) focus on 1950 and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but I would like some more from mid war. More of the Korean on Korean action in the hills or the retaking of Pyongyang again by both sides.

The big question is whether we will get a SASL chapter. The PLA also doesn’t get any T-34 85s in the game.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Is there such a thing as a monster Korea scenario?