Action Packs vs Croix de Guerre 2nd ed

Which is the 'better' collection/module?

• Action Packs

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Croix de Guerre

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oops - I should have posted this one last time..

Are you taking the classic French scenarios along with Dinant or the hundred+ scenarios from the action packs?

I think I argued for CdG in episode #74, based on the action packs' similarity to the journal - but in a bare knuckle fight between these two - what's the choice?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If the question deals about the scenarios only, then probably the APs (though I have not compared the contents of CdG vs. the APs scenariowise).

If the question deals with the entire product, per default core modules beat any sort of extension. Though for their maps, the APs are also part of the 'core kit'. In thruth, you can't really compare a core module to non core module stuff IMHO.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
AP: ten scenarios around a specific board or two.
CdG : access to hundreds of scenarios - including AP scenarios - and a HASL.
AP is to CdG what fast food is to a gastronomical restaurant.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Apples and Oranges for me, the totality of the Packs might be better but if you want to play with the French you need that module. I did not vote as this is kind of an unfair question as they are not equal value and different from each other... The poll for the Stalingrad HASLs made more sense to me...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Apples and Oranges for me, the totality of the Packs might be better but if you want to play with the French you need that module. I did not vote as this is kind of an unfair question as they are not equal value and different from each other... The poll for the Stalingrad HASLs made more sense to me...
I didn't vote either.
Unless it is a market study by MMP, I don't even see the point of such polls.
No entertainment value, hardly any Big Data intelligence collection either.
The accumulation of threads with comparable polls is strange to me: is there a hidden agenda behind them?

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Which is better - Casablanca or chocolate ice-cream? The two are so disparate that there is no basis for comparison, and thus the choice is arbitrary and uninteresting. So did not vote either.

I think a better poll would be 'which AP has the best scenarios' or 'which core module has the best scenarios' or 'which HASL has the best scenarios' or 'which HASL has the best CGs'.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, if one wanted a relevant pole, it should something like which AP/HASL has the best or most balanced selection of scenarios or some such.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just to be clear - we're doing this for this completely un-scientific reasons, but gives us something to chat about bracket here: https://challonge.com/20iqm5mv (the random 5 minute discussion is on our illuminating rounds youtube videos).

When trying to determine the "apples to oranges" comparison, the question is, given you have all the components available to play either set, would you rather have only A or B for the next XX weeks to play.

No one's asking if you can only afford one, or what would you burn from your collection :)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
You guys' need to get a life ....why are you taking this stupid poll instead of playing ASL LOL!? Everyone knows you need both anyway...
I played AP168 Nameless Hill vs Steve Johns yesterday, needed to win both CCs at game end but only won one, Great game, lots of fun.

Tomorrow, I transmit Dispatch #54.

I just don't comment on irrelevant poles...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played AP168 Nameless Hill vs Steve Johns yesterday, needed to win both CCs at game end but only won one, Great game, lots of fun.

Tomorrow, I transmit Dispatch #54.

I just don't comment on irrelevant poles...
But you have.

zcrater

Reaction score
First name
Zeke
Country
llUnited States
I think it is a fun mental exercise and I applaud Illuminating Rounds for thinking up the brackets and giving us something to chat about. If the question was "if you could only own one, which one?," the answer for me would be CdG. But I think the question is "assuming you have all the modules and boards, which group of scenarios would you rather be stranded with on a desert island?," to which I must pick the Action Packs. Keep it coming, Dave and Martin!

Zeke