VASL6.6.5-beta3.vmod released

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
I have been playing around with the beta vmod and have not been able to find any functionality issues in the chat window. The changes in the Die color should not be a problem once people move over to the 6.6.5 version on a permanent basis. I do have a suggestion for the chat window logging function. When you use the dice images, the log function does not place an ascii character in the file, rather it looks like a control character or something like that. It would be nice to have the log have the die roll numbers at all times, regardless of the preference set for using images in the actual window.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Doug,
When you use the dice images, the log function does not place an ascii character in the file, rather it looks like a control character or something like that. It would be nice to have the log have the die roll numbers at all times, regardless of the preference set for using images in the actual window.
Much appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Can you tell me a bit more about the behaviour you are seeing? I am not sure I am able to replicate it . . . nor that I am trying to replicate it in the right way.

When I play back a log file with the use the dice images preference checked, I see the dice images for both DR and dr. If I uncheck the preference then I get the DR as a pair of numbers and nothing for a dr (this is a bug). It does not seem to matter whether the preference was checked or not when the logfile was recorded; what matters is the state of the preference during playback.

Could you explain "nice to have the log have the die roll numbers at all times, regardless of the preference"? For some reason, my brain cannot parse that clearly. LOL.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I seem to have goofed on what I remembered. The logfile is not the problem. I was copying the chat window and pasting into a text window for analysis. Clearly that copies the images since no text is there. I can easily just load the logfile and play it again, with preferences set to show text vs images, and then cut/paste to get the data for analysis.

Sorry about wasting your time.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello one suggestion, that would be really helpful...when you update versions of VASL please program in the ability to load VASL game from previous version. It really realy sucks when you invest time in a CG for months and you setup the next VASL version and you cannot load that CG. I understand that multiple versions can run , but I have noticed doing so over a bit of time your old files end up corrupted.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello one suggestion, that would be really helpful...when you update versions of VASL please program in the ability to load VASL game from previous version.
This is entirely sensible and not always possible.

I am already working, with help from others, on developing a "converter" tool, which will provide the ability to update older games to newer versions. Not quite what you were asking for but would take you to the same place. It is not clear yet if this can be done invisible to the user (that is, when loading an older game into a newer version, it would automatically update the game with no user action required) or may require the user to actively choose to update their game.

It also may be on a go forward basis and not necessarily able to update from earlier versions (pre-6.6.X) but that is still to be determined.

And it may take awhile as I am proceeding with caution. In the meantime I will try to avoid changes that prevent games from previous versions loading.

For long-running CGs, I would agree that sticking with the same VASSAL/VASL versions throughout is probably the best policy.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a newcomer to VASL, I would like to pass on my sincere thanks and appreciation to all those who have volunteered their time (and brain power) to make such an incredibly awesome platform available and all the increased playing opportunities it provides. Keep up the good work!